Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Staring at an ipad.
Staring at an overhead projector...

What is the difference?

As for learning, my son learned the alphabet, colors, shapes, numbers to 30, animals, sounds animals make, sounds the letters make, vehicles, etc...partly from the ipad, partly from us reinforncing it...all before he was 2.

It can be a good tool.

You could have taught him yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
Is there a way to type BOOKS in a bigger font?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't get the idea. You learned from an educator through lectures and school books. It can still be done. I noticed you use the term "learn stuff" a few times. I hope an education is more than just to "learn stuff". What is stuff?

TV in the class room wasn't conducive when I was in school in the 60s. There was Romper Room, Sesame Street(yawn) and Mr Rogers (more yawn). We got to watch it before school started but the school turned that stuff off when the school day began. That programming was for home and not school. Those shows were behavioral programming and that isn't the job of an educator unless you pay a private school to polish your kid's behavior. If a kid learned only from Sesame Street that is a dumb kid along the lines of Common Core.

You mentioned boring monotone teachers. I have had boring monotone college professors, bosses, workmates and anything else that fits. If they are to be as active, fun and involved as you suggest they may as well be clowns making balloon animals. I am sure the government has testing for that.

TV, computers and iPads are recreational toys in the minds of kids. Some might get the idea that it is not but that may be a few out of a classroom. Kids need to learn the three Rs, not how to get answers from the internet. I guess homework research is printing a wiki page and emailing it to the teacher.

The movie Idiocracy is coming to life.
My twins just finished Kindergarten, and they used iPads for homework throughout the year. They're in a Mandarin immersion school and had a fair amount of homework. Much of it was "virtual flashcards" where they learned Mandarin characters. I worked with them a lot on this. Some of it was math, and then we used them to help them with English reading, since they don't learn that formally in school until 3rd grade.

I have no problem with it. They're doing well, and I learned some Mandarin along the way by helping them on their iPads. We limited iPad homework time to 30 minutes or less per day, considering they were only in Kindergarten. Our other option was to print out flash cards and cut them up (time consuming, wasting paper), so I see no difference with using the iPad.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. There is a whole lifetime to be involved with technology. Shouldn't kids at least be introduced to more basic things first?
I am finding that this is a major generational difference in thinking about education.

For kids born now, technology is INTEGRATED into life. An iPad IS one of the basics now. It's not as if "Computers" is a separate class that they take along with English and Science.

Technology is not "separate from work" in the workforce, and it should not be separated or delayed in schools.

Even so, the emphasis on standardized testing is a separate issue.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I am finding that this is a major generational difference in thinking about education.

For kids born now, technology is INTEGRATED into life. An iPad IS one of the basics now. It's not as if "Computers" is a separate class that they take along with English and Science.

Technology is not "separate from work" in the workforce, and it should not be separated or delayed in schools.

Even so, the emphasis on standardized testing is a separate issue.
But there is also something to be said for groups of 2-4 students working together with concrete manipulatives (fraction circles, rods, etc) in solving problems with no computer in sight.
Social development is also a major part of early elementary education.

Hopefully there is a healthy balance of both.
The advent of "virtual manipulatives" lend themselves to not needing to spend money on physical manipulatives.

I have seen this firsthand.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 PM

351 posts, read 693,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't get the idea. You learned from an educator through lectures and school books. It can still be done. I noticed you use the term "learn stuff" a few times. I hope an education is more than just to "learn stuff". What is stuff?

TV in the class room wasn't conducive when I was in school in the 60s. There was Romper Room, Sesame Street(yawn) and Mr Rogers (more yawn). We got to watch it before school started but the school turned that stuff off when the school day began. That programming was for home and not school. Those shows were behavioral programming and that isn't the job of an educator unless you pay a private school to polish your kid's behavior. If a kid learned only from Sesame Street that is a dumb kid along the lines of Common Core.

You mentioned boring monotone teachers. I have had boring monotone college professors, bosses, workmates and anything else that fits. If they are to be as active, fun and involved as you suggest they may as well be clowns making balloon animals. I am sure the government has testing for that.

TV, computers and iPads are recreational toys in the minds of kids. Some might get the idea that it is not but that may be a few out of a classroom. Kids need to learn the three Rs, not how to get answers from the internet. I guess homework research is printing a wiki page and emailing it to the teacher.

The movie Idiocracy is coming to life.
First off, are you seriously going to nitpick at the term I used for the subjects I learned in school? I don't have all day to explain everything I learned throughout my school years. "Stuff" is an appropriate word to use in this case. If you are bothered by this word you seem to disapprove of, then replace it with "information" or "poop". Both of those words would work fine as well. They both mean facts and data. Will that work better for you?

If you must think in the extremes, then go ahead and hire a clown to teach you "stuff". It is a fact that teachers that are involved and creative with how they teach are better teachers. People remember more information if they can relate to the teacher and actually feel like the teachers are enjoying their work. Those that do not get truly involved in their lessons, get poorer grades during test because the students are not feeling it...not motivated. This is why motivational speakers are great speakers. They get the people watching them involved and enthusiastic about what they are hearing. Those people will go home and remember a lot of the speech because the speaker kept their interest. I remembered most of my biology class information because the teacher enjoyed the subject and got the class involved.

It's not easy teaching. Those ipads and computers in the classroom is a tool. It's not to be used as the main source of information but more a tool to enforce some of those lessons. As kids get older, they'll be more comfortable using the computers as a source of information for research for papers and other classroom assignments. For younger students, it's to enforce lessons on math, reading, social skills, science, measurements, logical thinking, and more including cooperative play with other students. The teachers, parents, and personal experiences are the main sources of information and will always be. What's wrong with adding more ways to learn?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Some of the home schooling parents I know aren't allowing computer use until 5th grade and only then for certain kinds of research that they will personally supervise.

The children are not allowed to play computer games, either, until 5th grade.

The idea is they will develop good handwriting and also process information better by making and taking notes.

I don't have an opinion on whether that's good or bad, just reporting what they have decided to do.
We homeschool and everyone does it different for when to use computers for learning/teaching. Right now the computer is a tool to help us. You need to know what a tiger eats? Then get on long enough to look and then get off. As for computer skills such as typing, I tend to agree Middle School is a good age to learn. Their handwriting needs to be first. Right now we are working on cursive, im not going to teach her typing when she cant write yet.

As for computer games, we do strictly monitor their screen time.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Think again.

My son started writing his own programs from age 8 with ZERO training and only basic level education.

Some kids take to computers like ducks to water and I see no reason to stop that, they are going to HAVE to get used to computers just like we HAD to get used to handwriting a gazillion pointless pages back in the day.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But there is also something to be said for groups of 2-4 students working together with concrete manipulatives (fraction circles, rods, etc) in solving problems with no computer in sight.
Social development is also a major part of early elementary education.

Hopefully there is a healthy balance of both.
The advent of "virtual manipulatives" lend themselves to not needing to spend money on physical manipulatives.

I have seen this firsthand.
Of course. At our school they do both. I have yet to hear of any school forcing kids to sit in front of screens all day.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:57 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree. There is a whole lifetime to be involved with technology. Shouldn't kids at least be introduced to more basic things first?
They use them in K and 1st in our (yours and mine) school district, too. They don't spend an inordinate amount of time per day on them, but they are definitely used that young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education