U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 AM

2,450 posts, read 2,030,499 times

Advertisements

Kids with health issues that make them legitimately unable to receive one or more vaccines also have the right to a public education, and need the safety provided by herd immunity. It is selfish to dilute herd immunity by not getting one's children vaccinated for mere "personal reasons," but then still sending them to school, taking advantage of the herd immunity afforded by all the families who are doing the responsible thing.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 AM

6,788 posts, read 6,957,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Jail? You really think throwing parents into to jail for not vaccinating is a smart solution?
I don't think its a very good solution to the problem. However, you should understand the frustration among those of us who accept the science of vaccination. Both of my kids were 100% up-to-date on their shots. Following the vaccine schedule, requires effort like anything else in life.

Not only that, but I also got the pertussis vaccine a few months ago, because I didn't want to take the chance that I could inadvertently spread whooping cough to a baby or young child. We are going out of our way to be responsible. Others, don't make the effort.

Stories like this should convince everyone of the need for vaccination. There is nothing imaginary about what happened here.

Texas Megachurch At Center Of Measles Outbreak : NPR

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 AM

12,482 posts, read 7,472,342 times
This story just came out. This is an indication of what will happen if more refuse vaccines. 341 cases confirmed - from a population that usually suffers medical ailments in silence, so there are probably more.

Measles Outbreak In Ohio Leads Amish To Reconsider Vaccines : Shots - Health News : NPR
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM

79,518 posts, read 87,335,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That case only involves children attending school during outbreaks. It did not remove religious exemptions for opting out of vaccines. You can try to pass one off as the other but its pretty easy to tell the difference.
I'm not trying to pass anything off as anything else. I did find it interesting that the judge in that case referred to the Supreme Court, as one poster on here would like to take the issue there.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Couldn't rep you again Jo48! So, I'll have to rep you in person. Great point.
Quote:
Well I can't rep you again either, so great point to you as well.
Nice to see you two have a repping club going. Maybe we could stay on topic.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Jail? You really think throwing parents into to jail for not vaccinating is a smart solution?
As soon as someone mentions jail for some other offense, the anti-vaxers accuse that person of wanting to jail the anti-vax parents. Maybe we could cut the hysteria.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM

7,316 posts, read 3,887,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As soon as someone mentions jail for some other offense, the anti-vaxers accuse that person of wanting to jail the anti-vax parents. Maybe we could cut the hysteria.
The poster clearly said that parents who don't vaccinate should go to jail. Re-read the post if you don't believe me. I'm not "hysterical" but rather baffled by how far some people want to go in enforcing their views. Jailing parents is hysterical.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM

7,316 posts, read 3,887,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not trying to pass anything off as anything else. I did find it interesting that the judge in that case referred to the Supreme Court, as one poster on here would like to take the issue there.
We already talked about that case though pages before you posted the link. I actually agree that in an outbreak, kids who have not had the vaccines for the disease in question should not be allowed at school for the duration of the outbreak.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 AM

583 posts, read 816,169 times
On Vaccination and Trust by Shawn Siegel

Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yep. Everyone now seems to be talking about the fact that vaccines wear off and all of us adults need to be boosters. Well, if vaccines have to be required with no exemptions for going to school, shouldn't the boosters be required for adults to go out in public, too? It only makes sense.
Only some vaccines wear off. People have LONG (as in my entire 40+ year nursing career) been advised to get a tetanus/diphtheria booster every 10 years life long. Since 2006, one of those boosters should be Tdap, to give protection against pertussis as well. There has been a big public health campaign to get parents of newborns, grandparents, and caregivers to get the Tdap. I believe when my daughter worked at a day care she had to show proof of Tdap immunization. Apparently some haven't noticed it. Here's an article from a local press.
Whooping cough: Health department recommends anyone who's around infants to get the Tdap vaccine to protect against whooping cough, or pertussis - Daily Press

Measles, mumps and rubella vaccines have been out for 45-51 years now in their current forms; they are presumed to give lifetime immunity. Polio vaccine also gives long-lasting immunity; the average adult here in the US does not need boosters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.