Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Human beings are social creatures and have been for thousands of years. Societies impose rules on individuals that they would not have chosen for themselves or their children. In most societies, the only other choices to following the law were death or banishment.

The norms and rules of society have changed over the millennia. We no longer banish lepers to colonies to rot and die. Instead, we decide that all who live in the society will submit to public health procedures to keep the society healthy. If you want to go it alone, fine, but not here where the law says that only people with medical reasons may be exempt from public health action. You don't have the right to put public health at risk because of your beliefs.

You may choose to change which society you want for your family. There are many places around the world that don't force any health measures on you. You are free to choose any of them. You are not free to disregard the laws where you choose to live. If you live here, you follow the law here. Vaccinate your children if they don't have a medical reason not to.

I don't care how many people you talked to about this. I understand that your family suffered a horrible tragedy that you believe is related to a vaccination. But your situation does not trump public policy. I, for one, don't want people to have a choice in this matter.

This discussion is enough to make you understand why other countries have laws to protect children from their parents' ideologies.
Right! We don't even make people who have a communicable disease in their household post a sign any more. That ended about 1950.

Results: Measles / Poster Collection : Whitby Images

Quote:
I disagree with philosophical exemptions.

I admit I did not go back through the pages to verify what I thought you had said about a bad experience with a vaccine, and I apologize for my error. I suppose if you want to reject everything I say because of a mistake on my part, you certainly may. We are unlikely to change each other's viewpoints on this issue. I am more interested in participating in a discussion on mandatory school immunizations.

I work in a school, so I have a different point of view from those of the parents. As a school employee, I am an agent of the state, which has an interest in safeguarding the public health. Your point of view is more of individual rights. I believe that this is an instance where the state's rights supersede yours as a parent. Furthermore, I believe that children have the right to disagree with their parents' decisions for them if those decisions go against the interests of the children. Often, parents don't really like it when their children begin questioning their parents' decisions. You might be surprised at the lengths that parents will go to in order to keep control of their children.
Me, too. It was hard to keep this conversation on track, what with people wanting to discuss medical errors, the health care delivery system, vaccines that aren't required and so forth. I acknowledge my own OT posts re this issue. Here is a great article, I believe referenced earlier on this thread:

Religious Objections To Vaccines Can't Threaten Public Health, Judge Kuntz Rules

I'm going to lift up this sentence b/c someone indicated a desire to take this issue to the Supreme Court:
**In the ruling, Kuntz wrote that the Supreme Court, "strongly suggested that religious objectors are not constitutionally exempt from vaccinations."**

Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,091 times
Off topic, but related - Researcher Charged in HIV Vaccine Fraud Case - NBC News

This one IS related as this is a vaccine recommended for public schoolers:

U.S. Government & Whistleblowers Sue Merck About Falsely Certified Mumps Vaccine

These stories make parents/consumers suspicious.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Human beings are social creatures and have been for thousands of years. Societies impose rules on individuals that they would not have chosen for themselves or their children. In most societies, the only other choices to following the law were death or banishment.

The norms and rules of society have changed over the millennia. We no longer banish lepers to colonies to rot and die. Instead, we decide that all who live in the society will submit to public health procedures to keep the society healthy. If you want to go it alone, fine, but not here where the law says that only people with medical reasons may be exempt from public health action. You don't have the right to put public health at risk because of your beliefs.

You may choose to change which society you want for your family. There are many places around the world that don't force any health measures on you. You are free to choose any of them. You are not free to disregard the laws where you choose to live. If you live here, you follow the law here. Vaccinate your children if they don't have a medical reason not to.

I don't care how many people you talked to about this. I understand that your family suffered a horrible tragedy that you believe is related to a vaccination. But your situation does not trump public policy. I, for one, don't want people to have a choice in this matter.

This discussion is enough to make you understand why other countries have laws to protect children from their parents' ideologies.
Our society is free, there is no federal mandate on vaccines to live in our country, there is no such law. You should move to Croatia instead of hoping America will model itself after it. I think pigs will fly before that happens. Talk about ideologies. Your the one that lives in the wrong country, not Miss Teri.

If a few states want to try and force mandates without exemption on people that's there problem and I feel for those who live there. Hopefully they will value their freedom enough to leave. It certainly won't fly in my state. It didn't fly in Colorado either, HB 1288 passes striped of right to remove personal and religious exemption. People don't want to live in Croatia, they want America.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-24-2014 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Right! We don't even make people who have a communicable disease in their household post a sign any more. That ended about 1950.

Results: Measles / Poster Collection : Whitby Images

Me, too. It was hard to keep this conversation on track, what with people wanting to discuss medical errors, the health care delivery system, vaccines that aren't required and so forth. I acknowledge my own OT posts re this issue. Here is a great article, I believe referenced earlier on this thread:

Religious Objections To Vaccines Can't Threaten Public Health, Judge Kuntz Rules

I'm going to lift up this sentence b/c someone indicated a desire to take this issue to the Supreme Court:
**In the ruling, Kuntz wrote that the Supreme Court, "strongly suggested that religious objectors are not constitutionally exempt from vaccinations."**
That case only involves children attending school during outbreaks. It did not remove religious exemptions for opting out of vaccines. You can try to pass one off as the other but its pretty easy to tell the difference.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I think you should seriously think how you can force vaccinations on adults. Do you know if your supermarket cashier has had all her vaccinations????? Put a doctor on every corner in the USA stabbing passerbys?????? ROFL You cannot enforce your health care views at all.
Couldn't rep you again Jo48! So, I'll have to rep you in person. Great point.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I already said what she said!! You cant check everyone and you have no idea who is Vax or not!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I already said what she said!! You cant check everyone and you have no idea who is Vax or not!
Well I can't rep you again either, so great point to you as well.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yep. Everyone now seems to be talking about the fact that vaccines wear off and all of us adults need to be boosters. Well, if vaccines have to be required with no exemptions for going to school, shouldn't the boosters be required for adults to go out in public, too? It only makes sense.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
It's difficult to understand just how stupid some people are. How could any parent refuse to vaccinate their children? It's really too bad that people buy into that stuff.

Also, by exercising this "freedom" of not vaccinating, you put others at risk.. which means it should be mandated by the government. I'm not allowed to go out and punch someone in the face because it is a "free country", I would go to jail if I did that. People who don't vaccinate their children should also go to jail.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It's difficult to understand just how stupid some people are. How could any parent refuse to vaccinate their children? It's really too bad that people buy into that stuff.

Also, by exercising this "freedom" of not vaccinating, you put others at risk.. which means it should be mandated by the government. I'm not allowed to go out and punch someone in the face because it is a "free country", I would go to jail if I did that. People who don't vaccinate their children should also go to jail.
Jail? You really think throwing parents into to jail for not vaccinating is a smart solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education