Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 PM

425 posts, read 431,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I never even took the SAT.

-I went to community college after highschool, and to get into the CC, the SAT wasn't required. Then, you could transfer from CC to a 4 year school and you didn't need to take it.

Why is it so mandatory in highschool then, lol? It seems like a gigantic waste. It's an anachronism.

Why is one test the judge of so many students?

I think standardized testing also perpetuates an educational gap between students. The "haves" and "have nots". Those who can afford test prep and those who can't.
All very true. A lot of things in education are an anachronism. SAT being one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,861,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It looks like more colleges are going SAT optional. If this continues, will it impact high schools? Regardless, I'm sure ETS isn't happy.

Temple to make test scores optional for admission
I have a friend who works for ETS. A lot of the people there are in denial of this trend. They either don't know it exists, or don't believe it's real. This, in spite of articles about it in the New York times that crop up periodically. They're strangely clueless.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I have a friend who works for ETS. A lot of the people there are in denial of this trend. They either don't know it exists, or don't believe it's real. This, in spite of articles about it in the New York times that crop up periodically. They're strangely clueless.
Well, if they work for ETS and there are articles saying SATs aren't needed, then of course they'd want to protect their jobs.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Funny you say that about elite schools, Who's benefiting from test-optional colleges? - CBS News

From your article:
Quote:
What's controversial and new in Belasco's findings is this: Low-income and minority enrollments did not see any more gains at the test-optional colleges than at the schools that still require the standardized tests. Belasco said this discovery surprised him.
Here's the thing the schools that go optional usually substitute SAT/ACT for something else like AP tests. The little dirty secret is that it's not only SATs where URM fair poorly.

The notion that if only we got rid of tests there'd be more Black & Brown kids at elite colleges is comical.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I never even took the SAT.

-I went to community college after highschool, and to get into the CC, the SAT wasn't required. Then, you could transfer from CC to a 4 year school and you didn't need to take it.

Why is it so mandatory in highschool then, lol? It seems like a gigantic waste. It's an anachronism.

Why is one test the judge of so many students?

I think standardized testing also perpetuates an educational gap between students. The "haves" and "have nots". Those who can afford test prep and those who can't.
Good you didn't take them and you ended up where you belong at community college. Seems the tests are working fine.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
That's because they know what happens behind the scenes. They also know that colleges especially elite ones want to protect their brand. Until one of the Big 3, (Harvard, Yale or Princeton) give up tests they'll be in business. To date no sign that is going to take place.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
As higher education has been downgraded and genericized, with a degree being the new high school diploma, it is no wonder that its all going to be touchy-feely stuff from now on.

A PhD in a STEM subject will show you can actually do it - and everything else will be a rubber stamp proving you had the money or got a loan to pay for it.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
As higher education has been downgraded and genericized, with a degree being the new high school diploma, it is no wonder that its all going to be touchy-feely stuff from now on.

A PhD in a STEM subject will show you can actually do it - and everything else will be a rubber stamp proving you had the money or got a loan to pay for it.
Masters seems to be the new Bachelor degree these days since the 4 year degree is so common among workers. And a 2 year CC degree won't even get you in the door for STEM.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Masters seems to be the new Bachelor degree these days since the 4 year degree is so common among workers. And a 2 year CC degree won't even get you in the door for STEM.
Especially in the softer subjects, lots of folks with masters degrees from university of Phoenix running around.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM

327 posts, read 568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It looks like more colleges are going SAT optional. If this continues, will it impact high schools? Regardless, I'm sure ETS isn't happy.

Temple to make test scores optional for admission

No offense, but Temple isn't terribly selective. 67% admissions rate; they probably figured why should we make it any harder for applicants to get in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education