U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:56 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times

Advertisements

Who are "they", and why should we believe them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,945,131 times
Being young makes people stupid. The younger we are, the stupider we are. Regardless of the quality of the school, or the attitudes of the other children, stupidity causes misery. How many adults do you know who get scraped knees and elbows, which are a lot more painful than most of us remember? Those are caused by stupid clumsiness. How many adults get bee stings and dog bites? Those are caused by stupidly provoking bees and dogs. How many are constantly embarrassed by being asked to answer questions in class when they don't know the answers? How many are too embarrassed to ask the teacher for a bathroom break? How many don't have the common sense not to provoke bullies? How many do awkward things that attract the attention of bullies? Bullies are stupid and so are their victims. They're stupid because they're young. That stupidity makes school practically a war zone, from the point of view of the victims. How many of you even remember that? You were a lot more miserable than you remember. School is hell, and we should remind ourselves of that every single day when we send our kids to school.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:27 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,542,348 times
No way.

I had a lot of fun in 7th Grade, but in general Grades 1-12 sucked the big one.

I hated the loss of autonomy, all the rules, teachers acting like little dictators.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 PM

2,176 posts, read 5,411,787 times
Absolutely not! To me, life keeps getting better and better. I certainly DO NOT yearn for the days of high school.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:40 PM

13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
HELL NO. They were the most miserable years of my life. I have never even entertained the thought of going to a high school reunion. There is nothing I care to be reminded of. For me, life started post graduation. I would say my 30's and early 40's were the best years of my life.
This. I was the shortest girl, skinniest, Indian girl in my class, with cystic acne, glasses, and enormous boobs that sprouted way too early. In a sea of blonde, blue eyed girls, I was the target of endless ridicule and taunting. I got through it though. I am a firm believer in the old adage that, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I have found that my life gets better and better as I get older. I enjoy it more, and now that I'm in my mid-30s, I don't take my life for granted as I did even 10 years ago

Old 08-02-2014, 06:06 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,446,122 times
my school days were pure hell, the dumbing down of society. Its been thirty years and i have not gone to any reunion or associate with those in my class, but still live within couple mile from the school house

Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times
For me, high school was not so great. I was always trying to fit in, I had to take classes I was not interested in, there were bullies in school, the cafeteria food was awful, etc.

College was much better. Classes were more interesting. I went to college away from home, so I had more freedom. Doing research and improving my grades was stressful, but I coped with it.

After college was not so great because being "entry level" meant I wasn't making a lot of money. I was focused on finding love and romance and that could be stressful.

After I reached 30 my life really blossomed. I was finally more established in my career and was much more financially secure. I was still young enough to have great times, an interesting social life, much travel, and grew to appreciate the finer things in life like dining out, theater, etc.

So I would say the best years of my life were approx. 30 - 44. Why was it not so great after 44? Only because by then my parents died, I lost my best friend, for the very first time in my life I had a medical issue, and so on. I also bought my first house - which was wonderful, except that my mortgage payments were heftier than rent ever was, and I became fussy about furnishing it. With middle age came "keeping up appearances" and more responsibilities. I'm not complaining though.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,574,921 times
Thankfully for me high school was not the highlight of my life. I am grateful for that but also realize a big part of it is the fact you get to choose your attitude about life and your situation. If you want to be miserable that is your choice. Perspective plays a big part.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,343,555 times
High School was not a highlight! But I'm glad I went through it. The popular folks in HS who seemed to have it all together from 7th-12th grade are now not doing so well. Lots of divorced single moms working hourly jobs and I see a few of the guys still living at home (early 30's).

I wasn't unpopular, I was just sort of doing my own thing and taking classes at community college at night to get ahead. When I finished my HS diploma, I was already a sophomore in college with 45 credit hours (had to take a test in Texas to be able to take more than 30 hours without a HS diploma). I just remember my parents telling me how unimportant HS was. "Just do your best, smile and get out of there. Get at least a C in everything but focus on getting straight A's in the college courses." Best advice ever! My HS transcript didn't matter since I had a 4.0 coming out and was accepted into my first choice schools.

Now I teach 8th graders and I get to talk to them about what happened to the "cool kids." I grew up with. They weren't bad kids, but they peaked in HS and didn't do much after that. I show pictures too... LOL before and after.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,884,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fndmom View Post
College days, yes
High school days, no
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my school days were pure hell, the dumbing down of society. Its been thirty years and i have not gone to any reunion or associate with those in my class, but still live within couple mile from the school house
Me too, the people who go to the reunions were not the few people I counted as friends who also stay away from the reunions. I did have a blast in college though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or