U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,652,140 times

Advertisements

Yes and No.

Its not about friends or having the coolest stuff or best teacher. Now as a parent, its about the best education i can provide for them. How it was when i was in school doesnt matter to me, I just want my children to skip all the school drama and graduate knowing practical things they should know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,299,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Good Lord! Where on earth did you all go to school? I had a wonderful time attending school.There were negative moments, sure, but I enjoyed pretty much all of it from kindergarten through college. I most definitely wasn't tortured (although had you asked me at the time I might have declared that reading Camus was torture), I wasn't beaten, and my teachers were all nice people and fine educators. Some were even outstanding. Certainly I can't be the only one who had positive school experiences.
Elementary School--It was show and tell in kindergarten. I, being a kid, told choice stories about my home life that today probably would have qualified me for CPS. The teachers warned me not to tell anyone what was going on, but I, being a naive kid, thought that those parts of my life were better than television and were way better than "my favorite fire truck," or the other stuff the others were presenting, besides it was only once; I'll never forget the horrible reactions I got from that, though. I became a pariah. Yeah, a pariah in kindergarten. No one intervened for me. Some of my grade school teachers made life easier by making me into a pet, but that ended in third grade. I found almost all of elementary school to be a series of failures and bad communication. I also had a speech impediment in kindergarten, and, although the kids were willing to tolerate that, they later found out that I was quite weird and proud of it! The teachers who got to know me, though, thought I was precocious and bright.

Middle School-- It was a poor inner-city school where I had the right to rule because I was a young teenager. We were all wild animals and proud of it, but our teachers were dedicated and seemed worthy of respect. They weren't afraid to get into our world and help us out when we needed it. It was, well, I guess sort of "controlled chaos," but it was wonderful. We got the chance to explore, and I actually had friends who kind of liked me. Plus, our teachers were actually "cool."

My parents were concerned about the demographics, though, so I transferred to another school that was actually worse. I had people with whom I talked, but I don't think I had any friends. I was bullied, mocked, and hurt there and didn't want to deal with it past one year. Plus, the behavior was so bad that I don't think I really learned anything, so I transferred back to my favorite inner-city junior high school the following year and had to play catch up academically.

High School--I went back to a large suburban high school and tried to act like the silly girl I was in middle school. One of the juniors didn't like it, though, so she decided to "put me in my place," by making fun of me for the way I acted and dressed and tried to encourage me to conform. A few days of that, and I was done. I wanted to skip gym class. I was accused of being a lesbian and was almost ostracized for my truly nonconformist behavior. Looking back, though, if I would have had a thicker skin, I probably could have made a friend if I wasn't so afraid of people back then. I think this "bullying" might have been their way of trying to look out for me. I didn't cave or change because they wanted me to, so I can at least speculate that they had good intentions. A guidebook would have been nice, though. I was very sick my first two years of high school, and that's where I got the worst treatment. The students distrusted me strongly. Most of the teachers were apathetic and only cared about my academics. A few teachers maybe saw my interests and tried to honor me, I think, but I was just too afraid to trust anyone, really.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:40 AM

35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
Eh. They were fine for what they were, and I had enjoyable times. They were also stressful. School, not my social life, was my priority in college. I had plenty of friends, but very little sense of life balance, because I was there, in my eyes, to get my degree, so that was what the vast majority of my time and energy was spent on for those limited years. I don't regret it, but, nah, it wasn't four years of parties, etc., at least for me. Pre-college schooling, sure, being a kid was great. Being an adult? Better.

Life post-schooling was better, right from the start, and has continued to be so. My school years were good and served their purpose very well, but I would never call them "the best years of my life."

Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,321,511 times
School was the worst time of my life- hated every moment. School made me start to want to kill myself. It got a little better at the end of high school when I started to hang around the stoners-at least they were nice. I don´t remember but perhaps Kindergarten was not so bad.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,110,015 times
they say your school days were the best days of your life, would you agree?

No. I am seventy-six, and I wouldn't really be able to pick out the "best days of my life." From this age viewpoint most periods seem like a mixture of pluses and minuses, good and bad (though in retrospect the years of primary school, both in and out of school seem to have been largely untroubled.) A few stretches were grim and even dangerous.

What would make the "best days" best, I wonder?

I would think maybe the period when you reach a sense of being settled with yourself, being self-confident without being arrogant and self-centered, being able to take and let go without having a life of drama after drama. Compassion without manipulation, same for curiosity. Having arrived at a sense of your place in the scheme of things. The time when you have a sustained sense of wonder.

I think arriving at these places in life would certainly be among the better days.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM

5,192 posts, read 3,015,647 times
My sixty-eight-year-old husband made me secretly laugh the other day and this thread is the perfect place to put the anecdote.

He had been a sturdy farm boy, high school student and played tackle on the football team. We were sitting on the deck and out of the blue he said, "When we were done in the locker room and going out for practice a bunch of guys would say, 'Let's get (Mr. Lodestar)' and I'd turn around and say, 'Eat ****!' and run like hell."

And I swear there was a twinkle in his eye, my usually dignified, gentle and well-spoken spouse. Either that or he's finally going senile.

Still laughing here.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 AM

769 posts, read 891,737 times
No, for 3 of the 4 years of high school, the district kept trying to close the school, by the time I was a senior, there was no band, no teams, all the good teachers had left, they had closed another school and rolled those students into my school, but let them keep their school name, so there were 2 high schools in one.
I was contacted by a reunion committee a number of years ago asking if I was going to attend, well, they did not like my answer.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:25 AM

13,022 posts, read 12,480,451 times
Not at all. The freedom that comes with being an adult is spectacular. The dependency that came with being a student was a terrible thing for me.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,299,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
No, for 3 of the 4 years of high school, the district kept trying to close the school, by the time I was a senior, there was no band, no teams, all the good teachers had left, they had closed another school and rolled those students into my school, but let them keep their school name, so there were 2 high schools in one.
I was contacted by a reunion committee a number of years ago asking if I was going to attend, well, they did not like my answer.
Wow! That actually sounds funny. I'm sure it hurt when you were a child, though.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:29 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,652,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
People say that your school days are the best days of your life. Would you say that's true for you?
"They" being people who went to high school only and then got a job. To be clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or