Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,606,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wouldn't, too many kids with access to guns. I remember a 7th grader beat the crap out of our Art teacher... I.E. HOSPITALIZED ... remember these kids can be repeat and held back and be 15 years old or so in that grade as well...
I also had a 13 year old guy I went to school with that murdered those british tourists back in the early 90s in Florida, his name was Cedric... and he was just in a normal ol pretty decent elementary and middle school, same one I was in.
So, no, wouldn't paddle them, unless you want retaliation.
Maybe some of you older folks think paddling should be brought back, have you been to the current state of public schools anytime in the last 20 years???? Do you know how EASY it is to get a handgun?
You might think otherwise if you have. This isn't even a BAD area I'm talking about, just normal public school in suburbia.
Hey ya know, these might have been cool in the 50s and 60s... but things in america are MUCH different now, much more women in the work force for less parenting at home, more guns, easier access to information, more gangs, eroded public schools, etc. etc.
Are you serious?! So because these kids parents are doing a **** poor job and they *might* try something violent, you should be afraid of a child?

Horsecrap!

It's not just "older folk" that think a good spanking can help a problem child, I'm 33 and hubby is 32 and we fully agree that a spanking is an effective tool for punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,762,769 times
Under absolutely no circumstances. Period.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,531,615 times
Agreed with StilltheSame: Especially at school. *serious smiley!*

My sixth grade teacher (Miss Springer, St. Matthias Elementary, Huntington Park, CA ~in the '70's) beat us: knocked us on the skull with her fist! Terrorized us: tore up our notebooks when she didn't like our note outlines... Turned our desks upside down to shower the floor with the desk contents.

The only thing she did in front of adults was to swat us with her huge fat hand on the butt: she did it to me in front of the principal! In the auditorium! Because I was a mousy speaker! I lost my tiny voice then & now have an overly loud voice.

At any rate, adults never believed us that she was so mean, etc. Because she was so clever at hiding the truth.

She favored boys, so only girls usually got the terror treatment. One time, a girl had trouble with her math at the board & Springer took the POINTER & whipped the back of her legs!

Sixth grade was probably the best grade in my elementary school life (1st to 8th in the Catholic school system). And it was ruined by this vicious woman who terrorized children.

Catholic schools usually use the demerit system, which, IMO, works pretty well...

Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
the polls have spoken. americans find discipline and punishment utterly unacceptable.
the new priest in the american home and K12, Dr. B. Spock.
also largest prison population on earth.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,531,615 times
Discipline & punishment ARE acceptable but brute physical force in the school system isn't acceptable in my eyes. IMO.

In the 60's, cops were known to kic* some young butts on the streets. My last husband grew up in Chicago & used to run around with the Howard Street Desperados. He said the cops beat him silly whenever they could get their hands on him. He didn't have a dad at home to make an impression on him...

He told me his stories without putting the police down: in his eyes, their "discipline" was part of their job... If he & his buddies were on the wrong side of the tracks at dinner time, they'd be taken to the farest reaches to run home through enemy territory (granted the enemies were around 12 -15 years old or so). He grew up to be respectable but he had a lot of growing up to do along the way.

It may be too much power for the police department, but they once had free reign to push people around... I don't think they should be able to use brute force, but that's just MO.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,890,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers. I suspect this has ended in an era of political correctness and overzealous lawyers. But maybe not, how about in some small towns in the south?

Should they bring back the paddle in school?
I wonder about that sometimes.

I went to school shortly after they stopped hitting, so some of my friends a few years older than me were hit quite a bit in school, and I wasn't.

I don't know how effective it was. One of my buddies was telling me once how much he got hit by one teacher, and I told him I had a couple of teachers who gave me detention repeatedly, and his response was "oh, that's worse." He preferred getting hit to getting detention because getting hit was over quickly.

As with any punishment, a lot of it is in how it's administered. I got punished in school a number of different ways, and there was big disparity in how effective different punishment was. The least effective punishments I got were the detentions where I could do homework or take a nap (or both). They were pretty lame. More effective were the detentions where I had to write out lines or punish assignments, or do boring work details. But even there, some work details were sort of fun, if they involved minimal supervision and working with friends who were also serving time. The worst punishment I got were probably the long detentions where I was forced to sit there and do absolutely nothing, and had to sit up straight the whole time. That was painfully boring. Being able to read something, or put my head down, made it much more bearable (and therefore less effective as a punishment).

Last edited by dazzleman; 01-16-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the polls have spoken. americans find discipline and punishment utterly unacceptable.

I think you're onto something.

If parents and schools don't discipline kids, somebody else eventually will. And by that time, it will be much worse.

Parents have changed a lot. My last two years of high school, I started to get a kick out of breaking rules, and I was a frequent visitor to after school detention. I didn't really care about having detention most of the time, but one thing was that I didn't want my parents to find out. I thought (correctly) that they could punish me much worse than the school could, by taking away things like driving privileges and grounding me on the weekends. Even frequent detentions were a breeze next to that.

Parents today defend their kids, and question when the school punishes their kids. Of course, the kids lie to their parents, as I did and every kid does. It's amazing how much parents have their accent on the wrong syllable when dealing with their kids' discipline issues.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
I used to get paddlings in elementary and middle school all the time, and now I'm a professor at Yale and doing pretty well for myself.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsouth85 View Post
I used to get paddlings in elementary and middle school all the time, and now I'm a professor at Yale and doing pretty well for myself.
What did you do to earn these paddlings?

Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,776,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Corporal punishment is NOT a synonym for discipline. Discipline means teaching. You can teach without punishment and it is actually much more effective. But, you have to understand how to do this. Substituting ineffective discipline like yelling, nagging, etc. does nothing to actually help.

Also, discipline must begin when a child is a toddler or preschooler. You cannot wait until s/he gets to school to do your job as a parent. There are plenty of effective systems. Love and Logic by Jim Fay. 1,2,3 Magic by Dr. Thomas Phelan. Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years--Raising Children Who are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful by Jane Nelson

Each of the above suggests ways of helping children learn to control their own behavior so that they are productive members of the family and the school community.

Here's a study of how *effective* cp really is:
The Influence of Corporal Punishment on Crime - The Natural Child Project

Note here - most of the criminal population were physically disciplined before they turned to their *life of crime.* There are very few criminals who were not spanked and many were actually beaten and abused.

Child Abuse Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - Are people who were abused as children more likely to become criminals later in life on MedicineNet

Quote:
According to a 2005 study sponsored by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ), maltreatment in childhood increases the likelihood of arrest as a juvenile by 59% and as an adult by 28%. Abuse as a child also increases the prospect of arrest for a violent crime by 30%.
Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education