Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 AM

419 posts, read 2,014,468 times

Advertisements

I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers. I suspect this has ended in an era of political correctness and overzealous lawyers. But maybe not, how about in some small towns in the south?

Should they bring back the paddle in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,118,544 times
I think they should. There was a noticeable difference in the level of disruption in my elementary school after we got a new principal who refused to paddle students. Clearly students were no longer afraid of being paddled and adjusted their behavior accordingly.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,785,175 times
In my school, the students would be likely to shoot us before we could get close enough to paddle them .....

Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 AM

394 posts, read 1,997,080 times
One of my teachers in fifth grade carried a paddle around and hit kids all day long for no real reason, he would even wack us from behind if we didn't get into our seats fast enough. It really hurt too, he used excessive force. I don't see how that made us kids any more well-behaved, it just made us resentful.

If any teacher were to paddle any of my kids there would be hell to pay, I don't believe in it, it's barbaric. I do think it's still legal in some southern states, though.

This thread should be interesting to follow for sure. I doubt it will last until January.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
Paddling is permitted in quite a few states, including Texas.

ETA - "should they" and "do they" are two different questions.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,628,189 times
they still paddle in ohio.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 PM

520 posts, read 1,849,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
they still paddle in ohio.
Where do they paddle in Ohio? I don't have kids but if I did, any teacher that used a paddle on them would be pulling it out of their a$$ after I found out.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
Where the states stand on corporal punishment in schools:
Alabama--Legal
Alaska--Illegal
Arizona--Legal
Arkansas--Legal
California--Illegal
Colorado--Legal
Connecticut--Illegal
Delaware--Illegal
District of Columbia--N/A
Florida--Legal
Georgia--Legal
Hawaii--Illegal
Idaho--Legal
Illinois--Illegal
Indiana--Legal
Iowa--Illegal
Kansas--Legal
Kentucky--Legal
Louisiana--Legal
Maine--Illegal
Maryland--Illegal
Massachusetts--Illegal
Michigan--Illegal
Minnesota--Illegal
Mississippi--Legal
Missouri--Legal
Montana--Illegal
Nebraska--Illegal
Nevada--Illegal
New Hampshire--Illegal
New Jersey--Illegal
New Mexico--Legal
New York--Illegal
North Carolina--Legal
North Dakota--Illegal
Ohio--Legal
Oklahoma--Legal
Oregon--Illegal
Pennsylvania--Legal
Rhode Island--Restricted*
South Carolina--Legal
South Dakota--Illegal
Tennessee--Legal
Texas--Legal
Utah--Illegal
Vermont--Illegal
Virginia--Illegal
Washington--Illegal
West Virginia--Illegal
Wisconsin--Illegal
Wyoming--Legal

* banned by every school board in the state

Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM

268 posts, read 1,010,849 times
It is legal in Mississippi, and there are many districts doing away with it. In my district it is allowed with written parent permission.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
In elementary school the phys ed coach would tell us to touch our toes, then walk behind us with a wooden paddle and hit those who were not touching their toes.

I am 52 now and have never liked phys-ed related activities. But I can bend over and put both palms on the floor.

In fifth grade my friends dared me to kiss a kid on the school bus. I did- just a buzz, nothing heavy- and got paddled by the principal with a wooden paddle.

No, paddling should not be done. It is an indication that you have lost control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education