Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Shreveport, LA (AHN) - An incident caught on a cell phone camera might lead the Caddo School Board to ban cell phone use at schools during the academic day from 7 a.m. until school ends. The idea was born when a student with a cell phone camera took photos of a physical fight between another student and the Huntington High School Principal Jerry Davis.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009520550 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 AM

19 posts, read 92,258 times
Well, at least he was caught!

My school had them banned years ago, when the whole cell phone trend first started. Before they did, purses and backpacks rang all the time in class.

It was okay to have them if they were turned off during school hours, which I think is the best way to do things. You know, just in case something happens and they need to use it.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:04 AM

498 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Default Unite

I, as a parent, want my child to have his cell phone, no matter where he is at. They can be great protectors for our children. I did not read the article because there are probably all kinds of extenduating issues between those people that we will probably never hear about. I just know that if my child is not at school or work than he better be answering his phone. I call him all the time. With the winters here that get bad, I definately want him to have his phone. But yes, I think they should be able to have them but turned off during school and work unless something criminal is going on and can help the innocent party. Thanks for listenin.
LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
I too, as a parent, want my child to have a cell phone at all times. I agree it shouldn't be on loud moud- but it also shouldn't be off: that defeats the purpose of a cell phone. It should be on vibrate. Now yes, if a child gets caught doing something illegal like cheating, or is texting during class- give him a consequence. And, I think parents should monitor their child's usage. now and again I will check my son's phone just to check the hours of any texting- and it doesn't matter if he deletes it- I can check the account online.

But I work over 30 minutes away, as does his father. If an emergency happened at his school, or on my end, I want to be able to contact him immediately. Plus, if an emergency happened that he would have to walk home (not eligble for the bus because we live within 2 miles, but it's a very busy 4 lane highway past woods he would have to walk along and so I zoom there after work to pick him up)..I want him to have his cell phone. Not only to call...but I know you can track a child through cell phones in the event he was perhaps kidnapped.

Yes, I know they didn't have these things back in the day for children. But who knows if some events in the past could have been changed for the better?? I mean....way back in the day there were certain illnesses that people were able to contract, that you can't now due to certain medications, and vaccines. Things do change for the better.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:48 AM

498 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Thumbs up Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I too, as a parent, want my child to have a cell phone at all times. I agree it shouldn't be on loud moud- but it also shouldn't be off: that defeats the purpose of a cell phone. It should be on vibrate. Now yes, if a child gets caught doing something illegal like cheating, or is texting during class- give him a consequence. And, I think parents should monitor their child's usage. now and again I will check my son's phone just to check the hours of any texting- and it doesn't matter if he deletes it- I can check the account online.

But I work over 30 minutes away, as does his father. If an emergency happened at his school, or on my end, I want to be able to contact him immediately. Plus, if an emergency happened that he would have to walk home (not eligble for the bus because we live within 2 miles, but it's a very busy 4 lane highway past woods he would have to walk along and so I zoom there after work to pick him up)..I want him to have his cell phone. Not only to call...but I know you can track a child through cell phones in the event he was perhaps kidnapped.

Yes, I know they didn't have these things back in the day for children. But who knows if some events in the past could have been changed for the better?? I mean....way back in the day there were certain illnesses that people were able to contract, that you can't now due to certain medications, and vaccines. Things do change for the better.
I'm glad that you are on the ball. I forgot to even mention the tracking system in them. That in itself should be enough to go on. So again, yes, I do want my child to have his phone on him at all times. Our school confiscates them on site. All they have to do is see it and they will confiscate it until after school or the parent has to go and pick it up. Very frustrating. Nearly every kid carries one now, so why not just accept the fact that we the parents send our kids with these phones because we want them to have em.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Nearly every kid carries one now, so why not just accept the fact that we the parents send our kids with these phones because we want them to have em.
As a teacher, I can say that cell phones (and iPods and all other kinds of electronics) are a major distraction in school. THAT's why we don't want them in the classroom.

You may TELL a child that the phone has to be off (or on vibrate) during the day but 9 times out of 10, that phone is on -- and in use.

Yo! There's my BFF, let's use the camera to take our picture together. And, yo! Listen to the newest ringtone I just downloaded. And, yo! I gotta text you 'cause the teacher won't let us talk, so I go yeah, and then he goes no, and I'm like, huh, and he's like, yo, and, like, dude what'd the teacher just say?

Let me assign you a bit of homework: Tonight at dinner, have an important conversation with your child while he/she is texting/talking to a friend or listening to an iPod. Then ask your child to relate to you what was said, in detail. Chances are, he/she won't be able to do so.

That's what we deal with on a daily basis.

And people wonder why so many students are doing so poorly .....

Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
As a teacher, I can say that cell phones (and iPods and all other kinds of electronics) are a major distraction in school. THAT's why we don't want them in the classroom.

You may TELL a child that the phone has to be off (or on vibrate) during the day but 9 times out of 10, that phone is on -- and in use.

Yo! There's my BFF, let's use the camera to take our picture together. And, yo! Listen to the newest ringtone I just downloaded. And, yo! I gotta text you 'cause the teacher won't let us talk, so I go yeah, and then he goes no, and I'm like, huh, and he's like, yo, and, like, dude what'd the teacher just say?

Let me assign you a bit of homework: Tonight at dinner, have an important conversation with your child while he/she is texting/talking to a friend or listening to an iPod. Then ask your child to relate to you what was said, in detail. Chances are, he/she won't be able to do so.

That's what we deal with on a daily basis.

And people wonder why so many students are doing so poorly .....
As a teacher too...yep, in a public school system, and as a parent...you have to find ways to deal with problems a child might let arise. Sure they text. Take it off them until class is over. Write that child up and let the parent know that the consequence is on the 5th time (example, example and of course the principal must OK), then the cell phone is held by the principal until the end of the school day, for the remainder of the year (example example), and if parents do not sign said agreement THEN child cannot bring it to school. I know what is dealt on a daily basis.

As for wondering why children are doing poorly in school....I KNOW you are not insinuating that it due to cell phone usage! Man, that constitutes such a miniscule percentage I don't even think it's worth bringing it up! What about the children who don't have a cell phone...what about the children who actually aren't using it...what about before cell phones were invented...all those children who are doing poorly....

I think before people are focusing on cell phones they better focus on the parents that are not involved in their child's lives...on the teachers that have poor classroom management and cannot control their class...on the teachers that just cannot teach and get a lesson across....on a poorly managed school...on systems in place....before they blame cell phones for making a child do poorly.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
As a teacher too...yep, in a public school system, and as a parent...you have to find ways to deal with problems a child might let arise. Sure they text. Take it off them until class is over. Write that child up and let the parent know that the consequence is on the 5th time (example, example and of course the principal must OK), then the cell phone is held by the principal until the end of the school day, for the remainder of the year (example example), and if parents do not sign said agreement THEN child cannot bring it to school. I know what is dealt on a daily basis.

As for wondering why children are doing poorly in school....I KNOW you are not insinuating that it due to cell phone usage! Man, that constitutes such a miniscule percentage I don't even think it's worth bringing it up! What about the children who don't have a cell phone...what about the children who actually aren't using it...what about before cell phones were invented...all those children who are doing poorly....

I think before people are focusing on cell phones they better focus on the parents that are not involved in their child's lives...on the teachers that have poor classroom management and cannot control their class...on the teachers that just cannot teach and get a lesson across....on a poorly managed school...on systems in place....before they blame cell phones for making a child do poorly.
No, you're right -- cell phones & electronics alone are not why children are doing so poorly. However, the reality is that they are a MAJOR distraction. I teach in a NYC high school, and in our district such electronics are not even allowed on school premises, per Chancellor regulations. This is ignored on a daily basis, however, and gets no support from parents who -- as previous posters have said -- insist that their child MUST be accessible at all times.

As for taking away cell phones -- yes, I do that. However, when your students are bigger than you and/or known gang members (and ready to jump people after school), that's not always an option.

Our school doesn't have scanners and metal detectors, because we want our students to feel that we *trust* them. However, there were a couple of days during which morning scans were conducted by NYPD, who show up on a random basis. On those days, we were able have all electronics confiscated at the door and, let me tell you, those were the two most productive days of the entire school year.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Banning Cell Phones at schools is a fantastic concept -

A) They do not need phones at schools

B) Cells are a distraction - text messaging

C) They are used to cheat

D) They are used for inappropriate purposes including indecent photos

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNITE View Post
Our school confiscates them on site. All they have to do is see it and they will confiscate it until after school or the parent has to go and pick it up.
Good for your school -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education