Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times

Advertisements

A rule that I broke literally every day in high school: during lunch, there was 1 legal route to get to and from any of the places that we were allowed to go to during lunch: 3 different cafeterias, the library, the commons, and until January 1995, an outdoor smoking area. None of the legal routes passed by any classrooms, and none of the legal routes involved passing through the front lobby, since the principal felt that students in the lobby degraded the look of the school. We were not allowed to use our locker during lunch, unless it happened to be along a legal route, which very few lockers were. Mine was in the front lobby, one of the many places that we were not allowed. But I found a route to my locker that involved passing exactly 1 classroom, and no hall aides. I always had enough time to use my locker before the hall aide assigned to the front lobby would ask me to leave. I would always comply, so I would never get in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
My nephew did that in high school and got suspended for a week. I doubt you'd be sent to juvenile hall for something so minor, even today. They'd probably call your parents and maybe suspend you. I think this is the only thing you've mentioned that could actually be considered bad behavior.

Of all the things I posted, the only one that I feel any remorse about was lying and saying that I lost the exams that I didn't do well on.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
A rule that I broke all the time in high school: I was involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities after school. There was a late bus at 3:10, which only students who were in the off campus vocational program were allowed to use. Everyone else, if staying late, had to use either the 3:50 late bus or the 5:10 late bus. But I very frequently used the 3:10 late bus, as did most other students who were involved in extra-curricular activities. The bus drivers all felt that as long as we behaved and as long as there were seats available, that it was ok for us to use that bus. The catch was, not everybody would have a stop near their house, if nobody in that vocational program lived near you. I was lucky since I had a stop near me in grades 9, 10, and 11. It didn't matter in 12th grade since by then I could drive and park on campus, so I drove myself to school rather than using any of the buses. I wonder if nowadays, if they are stricter about who is allowed to ride the 3:10 bus.
Is that the same.bus that middle schoolers weren't allowed to take but sometimes did?

Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
A rule that I broke literally every day in high school: during lunch, there was 1 legal route to get to and from any of the places that we were allowed to go to during lunch: 3 different cafeterias, the library, the commons, and until January 1995, an outdoor smoking area. None of the legal routes passed by any classrooms, and none of the legal routes involved passing through the front lobby, since the principal felt that students in the lobby degraded the look of the school. We were not allowed to use our locker during lunch, unless it happened to be along a legal route, which very few lockers were. Mine was in the front lobby, one of the many places that we were not allowed. But I found a route to my locker that involved passing exactly 1 classroom, and no hall aides. I always had enough time to use my locker before the hall aide assigned to the front lobby would ask me to leave. I would always comply, so I would never get in trouble.
My school did the opposite. The cafeteria is right off the lobby by the main entrance, and we were required to stay there during lunch period. I sometimes snuck past to get into the regular hallway and go to my locker, but getting caught meant 2 days detention. I don't think I ever got in trouble for that but I did get in trouble when I was caught in the hallway after getting kicked out of class because I couldn't stop laughing when the teacher was yelling at the whole class.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Of all the things I posted, the only one that I feel any remorse about was lying and saying that I lost the exams that I didn't do well on.
If that's the worst thing you did, you were pretty good. How badly did you do on those tests?

Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 PM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
I literally never did anything naughty.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Is that the same.bus that middle schoolers weren't allowed to take but sometimes did?
Yes.

Quote:
My school did the opposite. The cafeteria is right off the lobby by the main entrance, and we were required to stay there during lunch period. I sometimes snuck past to get into the regular hallway and go to my locker, but getting caught meant 2 days detention. I don't think I ever got in trouble for that but I did get in trouble when I was caught in the hallway after getting kicked out of class because I couldn't stop laughing when the teacher was yelling at the whole class.
I had that problem too, where when people were getting yelled at, I would start laughing, and it would anger an already angry teacher.

One case where that happened was in 1st grade. We got some brand new library books, and this bad kid decided to rip one of them up. the librarian told the teacher was he did, and she started yelling at him. He then lied and said that I was the one who ripped the book. The teacher then started yelling at me. I then started laughing. The teacher then asked me if I think school is a big joke. In frustration, I answered yes. I had to spend the rest of the day in the hallway, and had to go to detention during recess the next day.

I think I mentioned before that in elementary school, detention was called the "black chairs". There were chairs in the lobby (I guess in elementary school, students in the lobby don't degrade the look of the school, even though apparently we did in high school), but only one was actually colored black. I had assumed that I was only allowed to sit in the black one. Somebody else was already sitting in the black chair. I asked him to move to a different chair, and he did. I'm surprised he didn't just explain to me that we were allowed to sit in any chair, not just the black one.

Quote:
If that's the worst thing you did, you were pretty good. How badly did you do on those tests?
Honestly, I don't remember.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,185,409 times
Dropped acid in the middle of the school day, in high school. This was in the 70's. It was freaky weird. Luckily it was a good trip. Have no idea why I thought it was a good idea to do it right then. The school had scheduling similar to college scheduling so sometimes had bunch of time between classes so I think I only had photography and another easier class left. Then went home and baby sister had gotten into my make-up, she insisted she didn't have on any so I thought maybe I was hallucinating. Found out the next day she did really have make-up on. Only did it one other time. Oh, and occasionally smoked a little pot during lunch hour. Again, this was the 70's.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
I literally never did anything naughty.
That was me until around the start of high school. Then I discovered that it was kind of fun to get into trouble as long as it wasn't too serious, so my behavior changed and I started to look for ways to break minor rules. I didn't particularly care if I got caught and punished. I had to stay after school a bunch of times, and I just considered that either a study hall or nap time, depending upon my mood.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Yes.

I had that problem too, where when people were getting yelled at, I would start laughing, and it would anger an already angry teacher.

One case where that happened was in 1st grade. We got some brand new library books, and this bad kid decided to rip one of them up. the librarian told the teacher was he did, and she started yelling at him. He then lied and said that I was the one who ripped the book. The teacher then started yelling at me. I then started laughing. The teacher then asked me if I think school is a big joke. In frustration, I answered yes. I had to spend the rest of the day in the hallway, and had to go to detention during recess the next day.

I think I mentioned before that in elementary school, detention was called the "black chairs". There were chairs in the lobby (I guess in elementary school, students in the lobby don't degrade the look of the school, even though apparently we did in high school), but only one was actually colored black. I had assumed that I was only allowed to sit in the black one. Somebody else was already sitting in the black chair. I asked him to move to a different chair, and he did. I'm surprised he didn't just explain to me that we were allowed to sit in any chair, not just the black one.

Honestly, I don't remember.
I think I remember you talking about that 3:10 bus and how you (or maybe other kids) sometimes used it after you got out of detention in middle school even though you were supposed to wait for the 3:50 bus. You had it better than we did in 2 ways - (1) detention for us went almost an hour later than the 3:10 bus left; and (2) there were no late buses, so if you missed the bus right after regular dismissal time, you had to arrange your own ride or walk. Luckily that wasn't a problem for me since I lived near the school and most of my detentions were in the last 2 years of high school, when I drove myself to school.

That's a pretty bad first grader to rip library books. I would never have done that in first grade (or actually any grade). By my propensity for not being about to stop laughing in certain situations did get me into minor trouble a few times.

I don't think I ever got lunch detention in elementary school, but I did have a lunch detention of sorts in high school once. My school sometimes used students with detention for extra work around the school that the custodial staff couldn't handle on their own. Usually it was after school, but occasionally it was during lunch. One day my last year of high school, I had gotten into trouble for something and I was on the roster for detention after school that day. During lunch, the dean came up to me and told me to come with him. I was wondering if I was in more trouble, but he brought me together with a group of 5 other guys. He informed us that since we were all on the roster for detention that afternoon, and since the school needed chairs set up in the gym for an assembly of some kind, that we would be setting up all the chairs in lieu of staying after school that day. It was actually a pretty good deal. We hustled and got the rows and rows of chairs set up during the remainder of the lunch period, and my time after school was unexpectedly free as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education