U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 08:10 AM

571 posts, read 1,135,417 times

Advertisements

Oh my, too many to recall. In 1st grade, there was a kid who sat behind me and he would constantly kick the back of my chair. The teacher would never see it, so it was never addressed. He was always getting in trouble for his poor penmanship, though. One day, I scribbled some curse words on a note, using his unique penmanship style, and dropped it under my chair. I made sure the teacher saw me pick it up and then I told the teacher that this kid wrote it. He must have gotten into some sort of trouble because he never bothered me again.

I did plenty of the usual in high school - smoking weed, drinking, partying, cutting class but I never got caught. I think I was never really suspected because I was a good student academically and did square things like band and drama club.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:21 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,634,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Oh my, too many to recall. In 1st grade, there was a kid who sat behind me and he would constantly kick the back of my chair. The teacher would never see it, so it was never addressed. He was always getting in trouble for his poor penmanship, though. One day, I scribbled some curse words on a note, using his unique penmanship style, and dropped it under my chair. I made sure the teacher saw me pick it up and then I told the teacher that this kid wrote it. He must have gotten into some sort of trouble because he never bothered me again.

I did plenty of the usual in high school - smoking weed, drinking, partying, cutting class but I never got caught. I think I was never really suspected because I was a good student academically and did square things like band and drama club.
I think this is kind of funny because when my kids went to high school, these 2 activities you mentioned was the ones where the students WERE most likely to be smoking weed. The drinking and partying thing stretched across all the activities.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:52 PM

579 posts, read 135,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
looking back at your school days , what is the worst thing you did , what do you regret about your school days basically?

for me getting sent to the head teachers office for pointing at someone.
A novel follows....

Worst thing : I know this will read like the old men that say, "Back in my day when I was a kid, I walked 5 miles to school through two feet of snow daily" stories. But I actually went to school back in those "old" days. Our old "grade" school building had the classes 1-5 held in it, it had no indoor plumbing, and a pot belly coal stove in each classroom for heat.

I was growing up in a home with coal fired pot belly stoves back then, so I was the kid made responsible by the female principal, to start the fire in the stove in my classroom each day. I also had to stock a bucket of coal in my classroom from the coal bin located in the basement, just to keep the stove fired all day.

I never acted out in class from grade 1 to 3, because I was scared to death anyway as a kid starting school. As I was being taken out of my home located way back up in in the hills, and then made to get on a big yellow bus daily. Then to make it even worse, I was stuck in a room with a bunch of kids that I did not know. It was hard for a kid like me that was basically being raised up in the woods, in a 3 room shack.

By the time I got to the 4 th grade though in 1964, I was getting sort of used to school and making friends. I had a best friend named Gary L and he resembled a very young Rodney Dangerfield. Just to look at him and with one of his goofy grins, I would start laughing. One day while in 4 th grade class, Gary kept making goofy faces at me and had me laughing out loud.

Our teacher called us down twice for disturbing the class with our laughter, then she told us, "Just one more peep from you two, and I am going to send you both to the "principal's" office". Gary and I looked at each other and laughed again, while Gary told me, " So big deal. She is just a skinny, old farmers wife about 65 years old. What's she going to do, try to drag us over her knee and spank us ? "

The teacher instantly walked back to our desks and grabbed Gary and I, by one of our ears. She then ear - walked us both through the principals office open door and told the old lady principal, that we would not stop disturbing her class. The principal then told our teacher to go on back to her class, and to close the door behind her.

She told Gary to lay face down across her large wooden desk and to use both of his hands to grab on to the other side, so he did so. She then reached under her desk and pulled out a oak board plank that looked to be about 3 feet long. It had about 1/2" diameter sized holes drilled sporadically in it, and the handle had been whittled down to fit her smaller hands. It looked to be around 3/4 " thick.

She then slid her left leg in towards her desk close to Gary's feet, then she put her right leg in a backward stance, like RH baseball players do when batting. Then with both hands gripped on that paddle, she swung the oak paddle all the way back up behind her, like a golfer does on their back swing.

As she swung the paddle downward to hit Gary across his buttocks, her right foot lifted off the floor some from the momentum. She gave Gary a total of ten "licks" with the same forceful swings of the paddle on each "lick". She then told Gary to stand up and to go on back to class.

Gary did not look back at me when he stood up to leave, but I could tell he was doing all that he could do, to not burst out crying. As I could see that his chin was rapidly going up and down like it was in spasms. Then, I got my ten licks and I also went back to class with my lower chin in spasms, while fighting back the tears.

And then to make it even worse, we both had to sit down in our hard oak, chair/desks for another 20 minutes of class. So after that day of being disciplined by a old, skinny farmers wife, I NEVER again in my remaining 8 years of school, did anything to get in trouble in school.

Regrets: Not really applying myself to my studies and making better grades, so I could have gotten a post education beyond high school. And also, losing my girlfriend that I had from the 2nd grade to the 8 grade, that I was madly in "love" with. I just knew we would one day be married after school. But instead, she started dating a guy that was in high school that had a car and she ended up marrying him

Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,162,235 times
I dropped out of high school but never regretted it because I continued my education on my own and then started college with my class. Now I’m a special ed teacher and I always cry at graduation because all of my graduating students hung in there against far greater odds than I ever faced.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM

74 posts, read 26,912 times
When I was in grade school a couple of friends and myself were playing basketball on the school grounds one weekend. I don't remember why I did this, but I chucked a basketball at the outside bell and knocked if off the wall. When the bell "rang" on Monday morning, no one heard it. My friends and I kept mum about it, and no one found out who did it.

In high school I remember having a substitute teacher in Spanish class. Me and a friend were sitting in the back of the class by the windows which were opened. When the teacher turned his back, we jumped out the window and cut the remainder of class. It was a first floor window of course. Not the worse thing one can do, but in the spring time it was great not being cooped up in that classroom.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:05 PM

375 posts, read 84,449 times
For me, it was dealing with a bully. One of my classmates thought that he would entertain himself and his friends by throwing spit wad at me. His thought was....short Asian kid. Easy target. Once I discover who was doing it. I didn't want to make a big scene.

I was the first to leave the classroom and waited patiently for him. He walked out to the hallway with a big smile on his face. He thought it was funny. I came up and blocked his path. I told him just to nod if he understood what I was saying. I told him that if he ever did that again, I would cause him so much bodily harm that his own parents will not recognize him. And if he knew better, he should keep his mouth shut about our conversation. He nodded his head he understood. No longer was that bright smile he once had. His face was frozen in fear. I smile at him and pat him on the shoulder and I walked away.

Over the years in HS, I've come upon other bullies, but once I let them know who I am and what I'm capable of doing. I have never once had a bully come back the second time. So, I know it works.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM

5,191 posts, read 4,884,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
For me, it was dealing with a bully. One of my classmates thought that he would entertain himself and his friends by throwing spit wad at me. His thought was....short Asian kid. Easy target. Once I discover who was doing it. I didn't want to make a big scene.

I was the first to leave the classroom and waited patiently for him. He walked out to the hallway with a big smile on his face. He thought it was funny. I came up and blocked his path. I told him just to nod if he understood what I was saying. I told him that if he ever did that again, I would cause him so much bodily harm that his own parents will not recognize him. And if he knew better, he should keep his mouth shut about our conversation. He nodded his head he understood. No longer was that bright smile he once had. His face was frozen in fear. I smile at him and pat him on the shoulder and I walked away.

Over the years in HS, I've come upon other bullies, but once I let them know who I am and what I'm capable of doing. I have never once had a bully come back the second time. So, I know it works.
I don't see how you did anything naughty.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:50 AM

5,842 posts, read 8,599,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I don't see how you did anything naughty.
Not naughty, but badazz....

Last edited by dazzleman; 05-04-2019 at 06:06 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 12:47 PM

145 posts, read 70,135 times
In elementary school, one day they decided to force kids to eat their vegetables before they left the lunchroom. They would stop you as you were clearing your tray as you walked out. I followed suit of a few others who decided to toss them under the table. The other girls told some boys who wanted to get even with them for something that happened so they ratted us out. The punishment was to clean the section we occupied in the lunchroom. While cleaning we found a lot of food(not just vegetables) under the table. When I got back to class my teacher expressed shocked at seeing me in the group as I was never known for misbehaving. Later I cried buckets partly from guilt and partly out of fear my my mother would find out. I never did anything else bad after that.

Thinking back I wonder why I did not just try to hide them on me. However, I wore a school uniform (pleated skirt/shirts no pockets) so it was either stick them down my shirt or hide in my socks/shoes which would have suspicious lump or be a mess. They never tried to force kids to eat anything after that though.

Last edited by miasth; 05-04-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 PM

1,503 posts, read 249,599 times
Oh well, loads of stuff.

Once in Maths class we had a useless teacher who couldn't control the class. Two big boys sat on either side of me, and they each grabbed two legs of my chair on each side and lifted it up onto the desk , right up there without the teacher even noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or