Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 10:29 PM

702 posts, read 566,688 times

Advertisements

In Catholic school, I put filthy notes in desks and books to girls, just to watch them tattle to Sister Mary Theresa. They thought it was a boy, and never suspected a quiet girl like me doing that. I just wanted to stir up some drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 04:15 AM

1,603 posts, read 681,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Were you allowed to take your final exams? Were you allowed to attend the prom and graduation? Was the college that you were planning to attend told that you now have a suspension on your record?

I think all of us know what “naughty” means.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Unknown.

Some questions for you. Were you a bully in high school? Are you still a bully? Do you really care that much about my high school? Do you have anything else to do with your time? Where did you go to high school? When did you graduate? Did you take your final exams? Did you attend the prom? What did you wear to the prom?Did you attend your graduation? Has your class had reunions? Did you attend a reunion? Which reunion was it? What did you wear to your reunion? Did you take anyone to your reunion? Where was your reunion? What food was served at your reunion? Did you get drunk at your reunion? Did anyone at your reunion remember you? When people at your reunion recognized you, did they walk the other direction as fast as they could?

Old 12-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,432 posts, read 16,517,194 times
I went to Cornell, graduating in 1979. I will use only first names, to protect the innocent since I am the only "guilty" party.

I think it was October 1978, on a cold night, that Bruce Springsteen tickets went on sale for the November 7, 1978 concert. Atypically for concerts, the tickets were sold on a reserve-seat basis, as a result of a recent tragic stampede at a concert. The sale, as was typical,first-come, first-served. People started lining up many ours before the ticket window at the Student Union opened. The line was long, and there was concern about the health and safety of the students on line, I was a graduating senior, as was my friend Alex. His girlfriend, Patti, was a freshmen. They commuted the lines by handing everyone a coupon marking their place in line.

Patti came back to the dorm, Clara Dickson Hall in tears. She held a couple for position number 14 or so. My poor memory makes me forget the place. I was drunk off my rocker, and said "I'll cancel the coupons." Another student asked how was going to achieve that. I was going to call a radio station to make an announcement canceling the coupons. I called up Ithaca College Broadcasting. I knew I could not call Cornell's VBR or Voice of the Big Red since they would know who to call to verify (WICB). First call I said "this is Ben _____, Cornell Concert Commission, stand by for an important announcement." I was laughing too hard to deliver my "news." A minute later I called again and said "this is Ben ______, Cornell Concert Commission. The coupons given out for the Springsteen line are not valid. Resume your place in line." I gave the number for a pay phone (remember those) at a nearby shopping center. WICB made the appropriate announcement. Patti was no longer crying.

Minutes later WICB countermanded the announcement. Patti was still happy. Anyway I called WICB back. The guy said, your announcement was phony and you had me call a payphone. I hung up, but now everyone was smiling.

P.S. I went to the concert and it was great.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,043 times
When I am looking my school days. I got some amazing memories and i am very naughty in my schools days i also remember i am never do my homeworks, and prepare notebooks always do some naughty things !!!

Old 01-13-2023, 03:47 AM

24,171 posts, read 9,104,642 times
Quote:
In my high school, a suspension on the last day could result in a suspension during finals week (meaning you get a 0 on any final you miss while suspended), and not being allowed to attend the prom and graduation.
This doesn't make sense.

If you get suspended on the last day of school, you're probably already finished with all your finals and prom. This looks like an empty scare tactic.

As a high school senior, we barely had any classes to attend after noon, we already completed most of our credits.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:26 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,981,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This doesn't make sense.

If you get suspended on the last day of school, you're probably already finished with all your finals and prom. This looks like an empty scare tactic.

As a high school senior, we barely had any classes to attend after noon, we already completed most of our credits.
By last day of school, I was referring to the last day of classes. We still had final exams and Regents exams. My prom was actually after graduation, although that was not the norm. Most of us had a full schedule of classes senior year.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:39 AM

9,364 posts, read 4,208,487 times
Not much drama with me. I was a pretty good kid. In 3rd grade I had a accumulated enough infractions (Catholic school - you could get an infraction for something as innocent as looking out the window during class) to earn a detention. The infraction slips were kept on top of a low bookshelf, with a little stack of infractions for each student. When my stack reached detention level, I "accidentally" knocked my stack behind the bookshelf.
I got kicked out of chemistry class in high school for telling the teacher that my parents cared about as much for this stupid class as I did after she threatened to call my parents about something I did (or didn't). I was an A student taking almost all AP classes, so there were no long term repercussions. The teacher was terminated a year later. The rumor mill said it was due to incompetence, but I doubt it. She knew her stuff, she just wasn't very pleasant.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:39 AM

8,444 posts, read 3,701,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing i.e. a bit dramatic (on the part of the principal); a high-school prom isn’t going to be held outside of the school year. I also wouldn’t think they could issue anyone a ‘0’ on their (senior) finals as a result of a suspension, particularly relative to one-day ditching or trivial matters (as opposed to truancy/a bigger picture). In fact, there was an unofficial ditch day at our high-school for seniors; and we were ‘threatened’ we’d be suspended for doing so. I’d say about 20% of us did it anyway, and I don’t recall any suspensions or even a slap-on-the-hand over it.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-13-2023 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-13-2023, 10:13 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,981,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing i.e. a bit dramatic (on the part of the principal); a high-school prom isn’t going to be held outside of the school year.
In my case, it was. The Regents exams were determined by the state. My school could not control it. At the time, traditionally, the prom was the Thursday night after exams ended, and graduation was the following Sunday. In the year I graduated, the last day of Regents exams was Monday, June 23, 1997. That meant that the prom was Thursday, June 26, 1997, and graduation was to be Sunday, June 29, 1997. However, there was a problem with that, since students who were joining the Military had to leave before June 29. Also, very few seniors had an exam on Monday, June 23. The last exam that a lot of seniors had to take was the chemistry Regents, on Friday, June 20, 1997. So graduation was moved to Sunday, June 22, 1997. But it was too late to change the date of the prom, so that remained on June 26, 1997, even though it was now after graduation. The few students whose graduation was dependent on passing an exam on June 23 were given blank diplomas at graduation, and assuming they passed their exam, were mailed their diploma in the mail during the summer. Originally, they said that everybody was going to receive a blank diploma at graduation, and that if you misbehaved at the prom that your diploma would be revoked. But they didn't go through with that. They still claimed that they could revoke our diploma after the fact if we misbehaved at the prom, but nobody misbehaved there.

Quote:
I wouldn’t think they could issue anyone a ‘0’ on their (senior) finals as a result of a suspension, either,
My school said that anything that would result in detention or suspension that lasted into finals week would result in a 0 on any finals that were missed. I do not know of anybody that actually happened to. I do know of somebody who got in trouble on the last day of finals (after finals were finished) in middle school, and I think he had to serve his detention on the first day of the following school year.

Quote:
particularly relative to one-day ditching/trivial manners (as opposed to truancy).
I don't think that a 0 on finals would have been given for something trivial or for cutting a single school day, unless it was the final exam that you skipped school.

Quote:
In fact, there was an unofficial ditch day at our high-school for seniors; and we were ‘threatened’ we’d be suspended for doing so. I’d say about 20% of us did it anyway, and I don’t recall any suspensions or even a slap-on-the-hand over it.
We had that too. But my AP calculus teacher always gave an exam worth a significant part of our grade on that day in order to keep us from cutting out of school on that day. I actually had a legitimate absence on that day (the science Olympiad competition), so I was allowed to make up the exam, but he normally did not allow you to make up an exam missed on senior cut day.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:34 AM

8,444 posts, read 3,701,392 times
Quote:
We had that too. But my AP calculus teacher always gave an exam worth a significant part of our grade on that day in order to keep us from cutting out of school on that day.
AP/IB programs schedule exams as a whole i.e. it’s typically not up to an individual high-school teacher. That said, why would you alert the teachers of the exact day in advance, lol? That sounds more ‘goody two-shoes’ than disobedient, per the thread.

We planned ours for the beginning of the last grading period - no tests, just a threat of suspension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education