U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,737,467 times

Advertisements

Only those from a Northern State would understand this and then maybe not. We took xmas trees that people had thrown out after the holidays and put them under a teachers car, pulling the stump end about 1/2 way under from each side so that you couldn't see the butt end of the trees and if you tried to pull them out by the top of the tree, the branches would open up and you couldn't pull them. He ended up having to jack the car up in order to remove the trees. We were never caught, but it seemed we had to really work to get a good grade in his class after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM

457 posts, read 395,281 times
During recess in grade school, we sometimes used to outline our shadows on the pavement with chalk. One time, my friend and I went further and proceeded to make the inside of the chalk shadow outlines anatomically correct. Like, graphically correct. I don't recall the punishment, but we were first sent to the principal's office, which at the time, seemed like a fate worse than death.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,321,311 times
In 5th grade i had a problem with a bully that would pick on me and push me down almost everyday. One day in P.E. we were playing street hockey and he high sticked me. I compleatly lost my temper beat the crap out of him with the hockey stick. I was suspended for a week and he never bothered me again.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM

49 posts, read 63,518 times
Around 8th grade I learned from another kid how to make a blowgun out of nothing but rolled up newspaper and the darts out of those little plastic wrapper thingies at the end of shoelaces that keep the woven threads from unraveling ("aglets"). If you carefully tease the tiny threads coming out of the aglets it acts like fletching on an arrow. Then, you finish off the dart by inserting a sewing needle straight thru with a pair of pliers until the point pokes out the front. If you rolled your newspaper tight, take a deep breath and exhale and the blowgun could shoot that dart about 25 or 30 feet and have it stick in the wall !!

I'd take my footlong blowgun into school under my denim jacket and blow darts at some kids who were sitting in the front row of class while the teacher was out in the hallway. Even had a couple darts stick in their back and they'd let out a little yelp. LOL, it was nasty fun and taught me how to make things in a MacGyver sorta way, which was a hit TV show at that time. Although I must admit, if one of those darts hit somebody's eye it would've caused some damage and then it's Lawsuit City. I only used it about 3 or 4 days and then destroyed it.

Strangely enough, I never got caught or prolly would've been suspended for a couple days. This was early 80's so teachers didnt have the paranoia of modern times where they'd most likely call the cops on me and I'd be charged with possession of a deadly weapon or some nonsense. You just gotta let kids be kids and stop acting like everyone is a terrorist. It seems like America has already lost our souls to the jihadists if we have no sense of humor left.

Here's a video showing you how to make these tiny darts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJMJ4CIcp0

Last edited by Burgher-Brad; 08-18-2014 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 PM

16,481 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My husband and his friends drove out to the town slough one fall night and dug up hundreds of hibernating frogs, broke into the school and released them. They warmed up overnight and in the morning when school opened the halls were alive with hopping froggies.

I don't see much in the way of remorse. Myself, I keep wondering what eventually happened to all those poor frogs.
That is a funny story (as are many on this thread).

One of my best friend in HS did the opposite. She broke into school and "liberated" all the live frogs that were waiting in the science lab to be dissected in the next few days in biology class. She took them to a nearby riverbed. The school was pretty angry, as it was too late & too expensive to order more frogs, but never figured out who did it. She was a real "goody two shoes" and President of the Young Republican's Club. The school questioned a bunch of the more liberal or wild students but never once even suspected her (we believe).

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,886,651 times
I started high school in the 1970s and I went to school wasted every single day, I could get all the pills and pot I wanted and my friends and I would walk to school every morning and get high on the way, I also had a contact lens solution bottle that I brought 4oz of hard liquor to school so I could get drunk at lunch every day.

But this is what really got me in trouble, we had this work book in our American history class, over spring break I decided I would research every answer for the rest of the year so I would have it finished and not have to deal with it. Anyway I shared the answers with a few of my friends and they started to do the same, at some point everyone had every single answer right and the teacher used his grade book to figure out that I was getting perfect scores first and everyone else got the answers from me.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM

10,053 posts, read 6,999,787 times
I was such a good boy in elementary school. I was quite meek and really afraid of teachers.

In my last year of elementary school (I was 10), my 'naughtiness' started. I pulled a chair backwards just before a girl was about to sit on it. She hit her head on the seat and screamed "ow, my head". My teacher got mad and told to me "get outside". I didn't mean no harm, that girl was a friend and I was joking around. The teacher did feel sorry for me oddly and later very nicely told me "you just can't do that, a person got get seriously injured, alright?".

In my first year of high school I did do the most naughtiest things. Me and a female friend made a graffiti (with chalk) outside a classroom on a wall. We were writing crap about my friend (who was a bit of dick to me). We got caught by a teacher. We were extremely scared and told him "it's just chalk". He then took us to the deputy principal's office (who became my favourite teacher later in high school years!). We then had to wash it off the next day.

Last edited by Ethereal; 08-19-2014 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 01:31 AM

5,147 posts, read 3,607,099 times
Threw an apple at a girl's head from across the room, and it hit her right in the forehead. She started crying immediately. Luckily she wasn't seriously injured.

I was 6 years old, in 1st grade. This was in late 1999.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,291,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
looking back at your school days , what is the worst thing you did , what do you regret about your school days basically?

for me getting sent to the head teachers office for pointing at someone.
A lot:

I was in sixth grade. I got on stage and made fun of another kid, like in the PSA announcement for cyber-bullying? I guess I didn't quite get the point of the commercial? I was not punished for it, either. I targeted this one kid who loved to act out in class; he kept the teachers busy, but I didn't like him much because he annoyed my favorite teachers. He considered himself a class clown, so I thought I would attempt to show him the error of his ways. It didn't work, though. Really, I think I just wanted some of his attention. It's amazing how dumb kids can be. My teachers seemed to understand, though.

I might have recommended the famous Mobile leprechaun prank, but I'm not sure if I did or not. I remember having a discussion with some of my peers in seventh grade about how to make people fall for something like that, and if one event followed another, it seems like someone took my suggestions to heart. It might have just been coincidence, though. I don't remember those events very well. One main component, though, is I might have encouraged other people to lie, a very bad habit indeed. I guess I was also sort of full of myself in middle school.

I decided to ignore the math and gym teachers and play a video game with my friends during class! I didn't learn much math at all my last year of middle school, and that nearly killed my academic progress in high school.

I was one of the few kids chosen to go on a special field trip to a well-known radio station to represent our school in eighth grade. At one point, I thought it would be fun to chat about common curse words with the DJs in full hearing of my chaperoning teachers. Their reaction was to remind me that, "I was representing the school." I have no idea if that made me be quiet or not! Looking back, though, I see that perhaps my candid actions could have been misinterpreted.

I convinced my friend to blow up her mom's toilet with water-proof firecrackers. My parents could have had to pay too much in damage. Did I mention that my social interactions typically didn't end very well?

Need I go on? I think I was pretty popular in middle school. Ironically, though, now that I'm a teacher I have no idea how to reach them.

Last edited by krmb; 08-19-2014 at 02:58 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 05:46 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,352,752 times
I raised hell in grade school. In 3rd grade I rubbed poison ivy leaves all over my assignment and successfully afflicted my teacher's hands. In sixth grade the art room was moving and the supplies were boxed up in labeled boxes. I took a black marker and added the item "1" Penis" to the label on the side. The entire class started laughing hysterically and the teacher could not figure it out, but she knew I caused it. She sent me to the principal's office, and when he asked me what I did, I said that the teacher was trying to make me carry a box that was too heavy for me, when in fact I had volunteered to carry the heavy box so I could alter its label. The box was in fact probably too heavy for an 11 year old to carry, so I successfully leveraged my way out of trouble.

In 7th grade we had a guy come into our classroom after lunch talk to our class about drugs, but during lunch I slung a bunch of lunch meat up onto the ceiling, where it temporarily stuck. His presentation kept getting interrupted by falling meat, and my teacher was incredibly embarrassed. I got away with that one too.

Finally, in 8th grade I had an excused absence from class to take some math competition test, but I finished early, so I was loose in the building. There was a librarian who was the mom of a kid I didn't care for, so I tried to scare her by hiding in a recycling bin and jumping out when she walked by. The library was kinda dim and remote when there were no classes in it, so I scared her pretty good. Unfortunately, she recognized me and I got in big trouble.

I got it all out of my system in grade school, because I didn't really get in trouble in high school onward. I had quite a bit of fun that wasn't entirely following the rules, but it was never driven by the menace that motivated me in grade school.

Last edited by Chemistry_Guy; 08-19-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or