Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grief! As an RN, I worked many a 7-3:30 shift. In Champaign, Illinois, it was pitch black by 4:30 PM in the winter, so I drove home in the dusk and it was dark by the time I changed my clothes. Now, nurses work 7-7.
As a nurse I'm sure you had windows you could look out during the day and had the freedom to walk outside at lunch time if you wished. I teach in a windowless room, occasionally go use the windowless bathroom and eat my lunch, at 10:00 in the morning (talk about a messed up schedule) in the windowless teacher's lounge. I do not see the sun except on the weekends during the winter. I'd love to go to school after sun rise. What's wrong with that? (no GOOD GRIEF about it . Seriously, what is wrong with saying I would love it if school started after the sun comes up?) Why do you have an issue with my saying I'd love to go to school after the sun comes up? What's it to you? How does my saying this or even if it came to fruition impact you in any way, shape or form? Why start your post with "Good Grief"? as if this is something wrong? What's your point? That everyone has to do the same thing? That someone can't suggest making something better because someone else doesn't get it?

This might come as a surprise but just because nurses start at 7:00 doesn't mean schools need to too. I really don't care when nurses start. That's between them and their employers because I know nurses and they work all different shifts. That doesn't mean schools need to do that (although I think I could get used to the three 12 hour days thing. 4 days off when I get to see the sun would be nice in the winter.). Last time I looked we weren't taking our cues for the school day from nurses.

Yes, I would love to start school after the sun comes up. So what? Yes, I don't like going to work in the dark and going home in the dark. So what? Am I not allowed to state my opinion because some other profession does it that way? That's just dumb.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-31-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As a nurse I'm sure you had windows you could look out during the day and had the freedom to walk outside at lunch time if you wished. I teach in a windowless room, occasionally go use the windowless bathroom and eat my lunch, at 10:00 in the morning (talk about a messed up schedule) in the windowless teacher's lounge. I do not see the sun except on the weekends during the winter. I'd love to go to school after sun rise. What's wrong with that? (no GOOD GRIEF about it . Seriously, what is wrong with saying I would love it if school started after the sun comes up?) Why do you have an issue with my saying I'd love to go to school after the sun comes up? What's it to you? How does my saying this or even if it came to fruition impact you in any way, shape or form? Why start your post with "Good Grief"? as if this is something wrong? What's your point? That everyone has to do the same thing? That someone can't suggest making something better because someone else doesn't get it?

This might come as a surprise but just because nurses start at 7:00 doesn't mean schools need to too. I really don't care when nurses start. That's between them and their employers because I know nurses and they work all different shifts. That doesn't mean schools need to do that (although I think I could get used to the three 12 hour days thing. 4 days off when I get to see the sun would be nice in the winter.). Last time I looked we weren't taking our cues for the school day from nurses.

Yes, I would love to start school after the sun comes up. So what? Yes, I don't like going to work in the dark and going home in the dark. So what? Am I not allowed to state my opinion without having it belittled?
Oh, for Ford's sake! Nursing is always "different" in your book! We're just sitting around eating bon-bons all day (or night) long, right, while you poor overworked teachers are earning your living by the sweat of your brow! On the Pittsburgh forum we were talking about this issue (not seeing the sun for weeks on end). Several nurses and spouses of nurses related the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
My wife is an example. Nurse working in labor and delivery working 7-7.30 shifts. If that coincides with a sunny winter day, she sees none of it. In a job like that, lunch is an on-the-fly and highly moveable thing. I'm sure there are many others too. Even if you work in an office and start early, it may for example be sunny in the morning and cloudy by lunch time, so you miss it. If there's one word I'd use to describe Pittsburgh weather, it would be 'variable'.
Quote:
Actually, my spouse's office is kind of like a warren of cubicles, like you see in comic strips such as "Dilbert". You might manage a glimpse out the window if you go to the bathroom. I don't know where they eat lunch if they stay in the building, but suffice it to say, there aren't a lot of big rooms with windows.

The nurses' station at the medical office where I work has no window area. 8 of the 12 exam rooms have no windows, and of the four that do, two of those look out onto another building just across the sidewalk between the two buildings. Our break room also has a window that looks out onto that other building, plus one window with a fabulous view of the Front Range of the Rockies (if you get time to even go in there). The cafeteria is in the basement of the hospital, no windows there.
So NO, people working in hospitals/dr's offices do not always get to gaze out the windows. If you have a half-hour lunch, as many hospital nurses do and as I do some days at the medical office where I work, you're not going out for a 3 martini lunch or even to freaking McDonald's, which is about a mile away. You go to the cafeteria, which is frequently in the BASEMENT of the building!!!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
I agree but you can make them work. My point was it's not impossible and no matter when school starts, most parents will have a problem on one end of the day with transportation. We have several kids at my school still waiting for rides home at 5:00 PM. When I taught in the charter school, I'd have half a dozen kids hanging out in my room every day because I was one of the teachers who stayed late. I often wish I was allowed to give kids a ride home as I hate to see them waiting every day but for liability reasons I can't offer even though I live very close to one of the families that opted into the district that has kids still waiting at 5:00 when I leave. The kids could easily walk home from my house. I can't open myself up to a lawsuit so they get to wait.
Your school didn't have an ASP program?

What the hell was wrong with your school that it just let random kids hang out in random teachers classrooms?

Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
They don't take up that much time that kids can't do homework. My oldest was a three season athlete. So is my youngest. Both always did/do their homework and helped around the house. I think it's just an excuse parents use when they don't want to be bothered supporting their kids activities.
If your kid goes to a school that doesn't expect much out of them academically then yeah, just an excuse. /eyeroll.

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-31-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

What the hell was wrong with your school that it just let random kids hang out in random teachers classrooms?
Yeah, that sounds kind of sketchy to me! One time, I was at work and the babysitter forgot to pick up my kids and I got a call at work, had to go get them and bring them to the office. Fortunately, in a peds office, they could entertain themselves until work was finished.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you think school starts too early, you aren't the only one.

A new policy statement published by the American Academy of Pediatrics is on the side of groggy students falling asleep at their desks and their parents who are tired of nagging them to get out of bed in the morning.

School start times unhealthy for students - CNN.com
I agree. School starts too early.

People nowadays are like modern serfs expected to drop off the kids early so they can beat the clock at the crack of dawn so they too can punch into their slave labor jobs, rush home, pick the kids up, get ready to prepare again for the next day and so on and so forth.

Most ideal would be 11 a.m. or noon time, but that just wouldn't work in a corporate world cus time is everything and it's all about the benjamins baby.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, for Ford's sake! Nursing is always "different" in your book! We're just sitting around eating bon-bons all day (or night) long, right, while you poor overworked teachers are earning your living by the sweat of your brow! On the Pittsburgh forum we were talking about this issue (not seeing the sun for weeks on end). Several nurses and spouses of nurses related the following:

So NO, people working in hospitals/dr's offices do not always get to gaze out the windows. If you have a half-hour lunch, as many hospital nurses do and as I do some days at the medical office where I work, you're not going out for a 3 martini lunch or even to freaking McDonald's, which is about a mile away. You go to the cafeteria, which is frequently in the BASEMENT of the building!!!!!
LOL, I've been in hospitals enough to know that nurses see windows all day long, however, even if they work in basement, what does that have to do with whether I would like to start my day later? Is there some requirement that says teachers must do what nurses do?

And do try to keep up with the thread. The accusation was made that teachers want the earlier start time. I said I'd like a later one. I'm a teacher. There is nothing wrong with my saying I would like a later start time and no reason I should even consider what nurses do or don't do when saying that. Nurses have nothing to do with me or teaching.

Believe it or not, there is no rule that says that everyone must do what nurses do and they MUST LIKE IT. I don't care what nurses do. Their start times are not being dictated by politics. Mine are. If a nurse doesn't like her shift, she can negotiate another one. Teachers can't. Students can't. I was answering the charge that school start times are early because that's what teachers want. I'm a teacher and I don't want early start times. What the heck do nurses have to do with that? I have my reasons for not liking an early start time. They're mine. They have nothing to do with you or nurses.....who walk by windows and can negotiate a different shift if the one they have doesn't work for them.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2014 at 05:04 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

Let is the operative word. There was no requirement that I let kids hang out in my room. I taught physics and two levels of chemistry back then so I was in my room until 6:00 at night or later and always had a lot to do. Some of the kids didn't have anything to do so they'd come in and help. I was ok with that. The school was ok with that. Their parents were ok with that. In hind sight, I did take a risk in doing that because I have learned that all it takes is one kid making a false accusation to end your career. I've seen it happen to two teachers in my 7 years. Neither was true. The first student recanted when she realized they were going to fire the teacher but it was too late. He never taught again. The second one is in litigation. It's scary to think this has happened once in each school I've worked in and I've only been teaching for 6 years.

This was a high school so there was no ASP.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I agree. School starts too early.

People nowadays are like modern serfs expected to drop off the kids early so they can beat the clock at the crack of dawn so they too can punch into their slave labor jobs, rush home, pick the kids up, get ready to prepare again for the next day and so on and so forth.

Most ideal would be 11 a.m. or noon time, but that just wouldn't work in a corporate world cus time is everything and it's all about the benjamins baby.
11 a.m. is too late. 10:00 a.m. would be good. On the current schedule, 11:00 would result in kids getting out way too late for sports and jobs. If we went to year round schools, we could shorten the school day and school could still let out in time for sports and after school jobs. I would love year round schools. With a 7 hour school day, kids have too much homework and teachers too much grading and there's too little time at home for both. While a nice relaxing summer is nice, it's just not worth the price. I swear I eat, sleep and drink school from September to June. I don't see my own family. Then I'm supposed to make up for that in the summer? I'd rather extend the school year by 7 weeks and shorten the day but that's another debate. (7 weeks gives us 45 weeks for 3, 15 week trimesters and still gives kids a 4 week break in the summer and teachers a 3 week break)

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-01-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
LOL, I've been in hospitals enough to know that nurses see windows all day long, however, even if they work in basement, what does that have to do with whether I would like to start my day later? Is there some requirement that says teachers must do what nurses do?

And do try to keep up with the thread. The accusation was made that teachers want the earlier start time. I said I'd like a later one. I'm a teacher. There is nothing wrong with my saying I would like a later start time and no reason I should even consider what nurses do or don't do when saying that. Nurses have nothing to do with me or teaching.

Believe it or not, there is no rule that says that everyone must do what nurses do and they MUST LIKE IT. I don't care what nurses do. Their start times are not being dictated by politics. Mine are. If a nurse doesn't like her shift, she can negotiate another one. Teachers can't. Students can't. I was answering the charge that school start times are early because that's what teachers want. I'm a teacher and I don't want early start times. What the heck do nurses have to do with that? I have my reasons for not liking an early start time. They're mine. They have nothing to do with you or nurses.....who walk by windows and can negotiate a different shift if the one they have doesn't work for them.
So now we're going to argue about windows! Sorry, not going to happen.

The point is many people start work earlier than 8:30 AM. If you don't want to talk about nurses who you think are just gazing out the windows all day long fine, but plenty of other people work in windowless offices and start by 7 AM. That is simply NOT a viable reason for a later start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education