Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times

Advertisements

When my daughter was in high school, one of her teachers regularly told her she needed to cut her bangs and not wear them so long. I told my daughter to tell that teacher she needed to put that in the student handbook, with the exact measurement allowed for bangs. Either that or stop commenting. She stopped commenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:56 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Me either. And I doubt it would occur to the new girl at school. Teenagers hate being embarrassed to start with. Add to that being new, and I am sure she wasn't looking to stand out, she wanted to fit in..................
Which is the adult talking. In an age of Twitter, Instagram, Facetime and Facebook "friends" being considered "popular" is even mors popular today.

Do you know who's looked up to in most high schools? Not the jocks, not the NHS students but the troublemakers. "Rebel Without a Cause" on steroids.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
A few or even more than a few students putting troublemakers on a pedestal does not indicate that the student body as a whole is equally entranced. Many teens are unimpressed with such antics and actively shun those engaged in them.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A few or even more than a few students putting troublemakers on a pedestal does not indicate that the student body as a whole is equally entranced. Many teens are unimpressed with such antics and actively shun those engaged in them.
Spend much time in a high school? I do. Daily.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which is the adult talking. In an age of Twitter, Instagram, Facetime and Facebook "friends" being considered "popular" is even mors popular today.

Do you know who's looked up to in most high schools? Not the jocks, not the NHS students but the troublemakers. "Rebel Without a Cause" on steroids.
When was the last time you had a child in high school? Around here, it's all about the grades. Troublemakers are shunned.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:17 PM

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Like Mattie, our high schoolers are pretty driven. Wearing an ankle monitor to school to impress peers wouldn't accomplish much other than guarantee you'd be gossiped about and given a wide berth by the majority.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When was the last time you had a child in high school? Around here, it's all about the grades. Troublemakers are shunned.
Personal children? My last one graduated in June.

Professional children? My class load this year is just a hair over 200 for 8 classes.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Personal children? My last one graduated in June.

Professional children? My class load this year is just a hair over 200 for 8 classes.
So, what you're telling us is that in your community, teenagers prefer the prison crowd over the college-bound. Good to know.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So, what you're telling us is that in your community, teenagers prefer the prison crowd over the college-bound. Good to know.

Where I live, no. Where I teach, yes. But, unlike you, my location isn't a secret. You never have answered where your magic school system is.

I forgot that you're Lake Woebegone Parent where all the children are above average.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Where I live, no. Where I teach, yes. But, unlike you, my location isn't a secret. You never have answered where your magic school system is.

I forgot that you're Lake Woebegone Parent where all the children are above average.
Nope. Lots of kids of average intellect around here, including a couple of mine, but we don't put the prison-bound on a pedestal. And my location isn't a secret. I live in the south suburbs of Denver.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: removed school name - I really don't think you want that out there and you won't be able to edit it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education