Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,044,434 times

Advertisements

Being a moron is a job requirement. God forbid the world doesn't bend over backwards to accommodate little Aiden or Olivia or they're ready to sue the school district.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-16-2014 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language

Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
the trick is staying one step ahead of law suits and i am sad to say they are losing the race.
but then again the parents cant get the cops to come out to the house anymore so they cant sue them so next stop the school.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,212,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
When you only hear about the bad ones, some people begin to think it's the norm.
It is not.
Why can't we get the norm for all? If school tests are normed, why can't schools be normed?

What would have to change in local politics everywhere, to make it easy to get rid of bad school administrators, without putting good ones at risk?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,729,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
School Administrators are some of the dumbest people in modern society. Why? Who else wants to spend their whole day yelling at kids for skipping class, swearing at teachers, chewing gum, breathing, etc.

The good ones are out there, but they're few and far between.

I would be willing to bet a lot of the admins were picked on when they were in school and are taking it out on the next generation.
In Junior High, I had an angry woman history teacher that FLUNKED me on my big deal, end-of-year school project. We had to make something reminiscent of Colonial Williamsburg, so I built a church. Gave it a 12/12 roof (nice steep pitch), with arched windows and double doors on the front. Inside, I had made small pews for the tiny congregants.

I was so proud of that thing.

She gave me an "F," and said, "How dare you lie to me and tell me that you made this, when I know it's your father that built it."

Stupid witch.

If she'd had a lick of common sense, she would have said, "Tell me what kind of saw blade you used on those arched windows," or, "I see the doors are a different type of wood. What kind of wood did you use?"

Little did she know, my father had abandoned our family and it was just Mom and me.

In the end, my elder brother went up there and gave her hell, and that F was turned into an A+.

BTW, she's now in the upper echelons of the local school administration.

I believe they find the people who are BOTH stupid and angry, and and then raise them to the highest rank possible.

There are exceptions. I suppose.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 AM

810 posts, read 1,443,362 times
It makes sense that the occupations that have no penalty for ineptitude would attract the inept.

If you're unfireable, there's no real need to do any work.

If you're uncriticizeable (say, for instance, a black president), there's no need to be good at what you do.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM

8,215 posts, read 8,531,914 times
We only hear about the bad.

I would never want the job today. 50 years ago it would have been a great job but parents have changed and school boards have changed.

An administrator has parents, school board, teachers unions, and the feds, each with a different agenda. I can't think of any other occupation that has to put up with that.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There are many "zero tolerance" policies, so we have to focus on times when those policies fail.
Yes, I think there are too many such policies. This chapstick thing is weird. I'd take the entire story with a grain of salt. I do think banning a substance is the "quick fix" and isn't always right.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,887,218 times
Public education used to be an honorable profession, but I'm questioning that more all of the time. For a lot of reasons (changes in society, government, litigation, etc.) it seems like lazies and slackers are now drawn to education. I think the word is out what a mess public education is and the motivated people who previously would have gone into teaching now don't want to have anything to do with "No Child Left Behind", "Common Core" or entitled parents/students. For instance, it used to be that if a kid got in trouble in school they would get in more trouble at home. Now if a kid gets in trouble at school, there is a good chance the parent will try to defend his/her little darling's behavior.

As far as administrators are concerned, if teaching is increasingly a profession occupied by slackers, then it makes sense that the biggest slackers will manage the regular slackers.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Public education used to be an honorable profession, but I'm questioning that more all of the time. For a lot of reasons (changes in society, government, litigation, etc.) it seems like lazies and slackers are now drawn to education. I think the word is out what a mess public education is and the motivated people who previously would have gone into teaching now don't want to have anything to do with "No Child Left Behind", "Common Core" or entitled parents/students. For instance, it used to be that if a kid got in trouble in school they would get in more trouble at home. Now if a kid gets in trouble at school, there is a good chance the parent will try to defend his/her little darling's behavior.

As far as administrators are concerned, if teaching is increasingly a profession occupied by slackers, then it makes sense that the biggest slackers will manage the regular slackers.

I was in college in the mid to late sixties, and even way back then, education majors were considered to be less than intelligent and unmotivated. Education classes were termed "Mickey Mouse" classes, and not because they were funny or entertaining. Instead, they were widely known to be easy, unchallenging, and very generously graded. Most who took them came away with As and Bs, without having to work hard at all.

I was required to take a number of education classes to get a teaching certificate, although my major remained in arts and sciences. I found that many of the education majors who were my classmates openly resented others who showed interest and enthusiasm - and some of the education instructors and professors also seemed threatened by those same students, who tended to rock the boat at times (this was the late sixties, after all, even on my university's placid campus).

By now, those education majors who managed to graduate and find jobs in the schools are retiring. I shudder to think of the damage they have done over the years and the children who must have been frustrated and bored beyond belief with such "teachers".

On the other hand, my graduate work was at a smaller, private college noted for being a beacon for innovation in teaching instruction. Its students were a different breed - and so were its professors. This college's education graduates were well-educated, articulate, intellectually curious and dedicated folks who entered education because they had a passion for conveying knowledge and the love of learning to kids. Any school who hired these graduates would be blessed.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:51 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,296,545 times
Point One:

Our education system will NEVER get any better as long as dentists, auto mechanics, and vinyl siding salesmen sit on the committees and boards that oversee the school districts. What other profession does that? How would you feel if teachers sat on the board of the AMA and told hospitals and doctors how to function?

The fact that teachers and professional educators are not in control of their own profession is a BIIIIIG reason why things are as bad as they are.

Point Two:

Teachers have lost all authority to discipline students. They still have the responsibility, just not the authority. Now school discipline sounds something like, "Johnny, sit down ... and if you don't, I'll tell you to sit down again. And you really do NOT want me telling you a third time, because if I do, I'll be forced to tell you a fourth time, and I really don't want to have to do that ..."

Point Three:

Thanks to the anti-government BS that has been spewing from the right side of the political spectrum in recent years, teachers have lost almost ALL of their prestige. They have been so utterly demonized as "fat cat government employees making WAY too much money" that no one in their right mind would want to go anywhere near a classroom now. I guess that's why most teachers don't last 2 years - between the politics, the paperwork, the many MANY hours of off-the-clock work, the expense of taking college courses all the time to keep your license current (on a meager salary, I might add), and rabid right-wingers turning society against you with idiot slogans like, "If you can't do, then teach," well, it's no wonder that few good teachers want to hang around.

After getting my secondary ed. degree, I spent another year and got a second BA simply because I knew from field work and student teaching that this wasn't a good career choice for me even though I received rave reviews. Nope, not for me. And I noticed that 90% of the teaching students in the classes with me were female. When asked the motivation for going into teaching, the answer was almost universal, "Because I love children!!!"

There's your other problem right there - going into education to be around kids. Sure, it helps to at least like kids, but if you don't have any passion for the subject you want to teach, then you're going to suck at teaching ... especially if you think you can get by on the knowledge two to four courses on that subject grants you. No way, no how.

Point Four:

The last big problem in education: Athletics. 'Nuff said about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education