Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Many if not most dress codes are either rooted in sexist attitudes or enforced more strictly on girls than boys. Dress codes in and of themselves are not sexist, though.
Not in my school. It seems that boys get caught more than girls. And anyway, why does everyone care so much. I'd rather not spend much time and money on clothes in school. Uniforms just make more sense. Maybe if all these girls shouting that's sexist all the time realized why they're saying it we wouldn't be in this situation. If you have to point out you're breasts are'nt sexualizeed, they probably are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Not in my school. It seems that boys get caught more than girls. And anyway, why does everyone care so much. I'd rather not spend much time and money on clothes in school. Uniforms just make more sense. Maybe if all these girls shouting that's sexist all the time realized why they're saying it we wouldn't be in this situation. If you have to point out you're breasts are'nt sexualizeed, they probably are.
Unless your kids like wearing uniforms outside of school (including holidays, summer, and winter), you will spend more money with uniforms:
  • The school can change the uniform requirements every year, making you go back and buy more clothes.
  • The school will specify what color belts, what color shirts, etc. making you spend money on a particular uniform provider. Shoe colors will be restricted, making you buy more shoes!
  • When the school focuses on correcting uniform issues, that's time the school is *choosing* not to spend on instruction.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Looking put together in school, like you would at any minimum wage retail job, isn't asking too much. You can dress fashionably in hot weather without showing all your skin. Some girls see it as "sexist" because A) they don't know what "sexist" means and B) they are usually the ones showing off too much skin. Fact.

Guys aren't immune, I don't want to see their underwear, their abs (no matter how good they look), or pit hair.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I know a boy who thought it would be cute to do a so called "social experiment" and wore leggings to school, you could imagine the sight, needless to say the boy was sent to change immediately.
There was a case in one school recently where many of the the boys decided to wear short shorts to school as a protest against their school dress code in solidarity with their female schoolmates. I don't know what the outcome was but I have to admire their guts.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Old 11-26-2021, 02:48 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I think any individual wearing a pair of shorts or skirt so short that you can see their Cee U Next Tuesday, or any tight or provocative top ,shouldn't be allowed to do so. It isn't sexism: it's being appropriate and respectful not only to yourself, but to those around you. The same is true for boys who walk around in the wife-beaters or have their boxers hanging out or their pants hanging down.

When I was in school in the 80s and 90s, we had school uniforms in public school. And even amidst those uniforms, there were variations, but very few...We were required to go through measurements for those uniforms. We wore them, and if we were lucky, maybe one or two fridays out of the season, we were allowed to wear our own clothes.

In a society where the thought process has become this frightening dogma, "let me be me, let me do me, let me have my freedom...me...me...me", it's no wonder that the issues above are ubiquitous.
It's not freedom that's the problem, it's entitlement.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:10 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My kids did not have dress codes. The kids where I live now, do. I believe that some dress codes here require girls to wear skirts. Without having a dog in the fight, this is not conducive to a girls freedom of movement.

I have no problem with uniforms. I think they save mothers, who have enough to worry about, without how trendy their kids clothing is.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:15 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Old thread, but...back in the day, girls who dressed like little hookers were laughed at by the other kids. Call it bullying, call it shaming, but girls knew when they looked like a hooker.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:04 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Unless your kids like wearing uniforms outside of school (including holidays, summer, and winter), you will spend more money with uniforms:
  • The school can change the uniform requirements every year, making you go back and buy more clothes.
  • The school will specify what color belts, what color shirts, etc. making you spend money on a particular uniform provider. Shoe colors will be restricted, making you buy more shoes!
  • When the school focuses on correcting uniform issues, that's time the school is *choosing* not to spend on instruction.

??????

Uniforms rarely change over decades. It's cheaper for parents. The kids know what the rules are so there is no correcting uniform issues.

I love my kids uniforms. Made life simple.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:28 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
??????

Uniforms rarely change over decades. It's cheaper for parents. The kids know what the rules are so there is no correcting uniform issues.

I love my kids uniforms. Made life simple.
Almost without exception, kids in Sydney and the rest of the state wear uniforms to school. It is a complete non-issue. I think there was more fuss about compliance fifty years ago.
Now the kids are back at school after lockdown, it is a really happy sight to see them going to and from school in their uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education