Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 10:13 AM

50,272 posts, read 23,893,601 times

Advertisements

The problem with dress codes is how silly they get.

My faculty tried to pull the "But we have the finger tip rule" regarding short shorts. I was the principal, and we had no such rule. I also pointed out that the fingertip rule doesn't really work because some people have short arms or long arms. The way some of the teachers reacted, you would have thought the fingertip rule was right out of scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 07:44 PM

293 posts, read 189,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Back in the 60's I thought it was unfair that girls could wear dresses with bare legs in the hot weather, but us boys weren't allowed to wear shorts to school. We even wore street clothes for gym in elementary school, and running around in long pants was pretty sweaty business on hot days!

But times have changed and I believe boys and girls are allowed to wear shorts to school even at our local Catholic school.

I rememeber when i was growing up in about the 1980's and rules for schools said that boys couldn't wear earings. But i think a dress code like that nowadays would be thought sexist due to the fact that girls can wear them and i noticed boys wearing earings nowadays.

But wait till the kids get out into the real world and have to follow dress codes for companies or a club which some can consider racist or sexist.

Like one part of a dress code for a club i noticed had something that said "no doo-rags" which some kids could consider racist.

Last edited by axelthefox; 12-01-2021 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-02-2021, 05:55 AM

602 posts, read 500,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
But wait till the kids get out into the real world and have to follow dress codes for companies or a club which some can consider racist or sexist.

Like one part of a dress code for a club i noticed had something that said "no doo-rags" which some kids could consider racist.
Like ones that are gendered, dress codes that disparately impact certain races are being challenged more vigorously now than just a few years ago. (I don't know how doo-rags play in this, but for example there are challenges to dress codes that prohibit blacks from having a natural or culturally appropriate hairstyle - and the odds are falling more and more in the challenger's favor.)

Old 12-06-2021, 01:30 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,611,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
And that is an example of a dress code that I feel is discriminatory against boys, although most do not agree with me. It offers girls several options for weather, and offers boys only one option, and requires a tie for boys, while allowing girls to be somewhat comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Back in the 60's I thought it was unfair that girls could wear dresses with bare legs in the hot weather, but us boys weren't allowed to wear shorts to school. We even wore street clothes for gym in elementary school, and running around in long pants was pretty sweaty business on hot days!

But times have changed and I believe boys and girls are allowed to wear shorts to school even at our local Catholic school.

Would you rather have been a girl who was required to wear a skirt or dress every day, regardless of the weather? The only concession to something called winter was being able to wear tights instead of knee socks. It was freaking cold sitting in the unheated school bus or going out for recess on days when the ambient temp was well below zero with the wind blowing.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:32 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,992,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Would you rather have been a girl who was required to wear a skirt or dress every day, regardless of the weather? The only concession to something called winter was being able to wear tights instead of knee socks. It was freaking cold sitting in the unheated school bus or going out for recess on days when the ambient temp was well below zero with the wind blowing.
But my point is that no schools and very few workplaces require skirts for girls in the winter nowadays, while many schools and many employers still require ties for boys all year. I acknowledge that in the past there were dress codes that were unfair to girls, but those are mostly gone, while the dress codes that are unfair to boys still exist.

Although, to answer your question, I would probably prefer to be a little cold than to be unable to breathe properly.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,591,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But my point is that no schools and very few workplaces require skirts for girls in the winter nowadays, while many schools and many employers still require ties for boys all year. I acknowledge that in the past there were dress codes that were unfair to girls, but those are mostly gone, while the dress codes that are unfair to boys still exist.

Although, to answer your question, I would probably prefer to be a little cold than to be unable to breathe properly.
FWIW, Japanese schools (and probably others in Asia) still require women to wear skirts. They cannot wear tights and the schools do not have heat. It snows throughout most of Japan, so this is not a comfortable situation for the girls. I think there are many other countries that still force women to wear skirts to school. CD is not just an American website.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:02 AM

6,726 posts, read 4,707,183 times
I guess the answer to this unfairness , at least in schools, is to have unisex jumpsuits. :-)

Old 12-07-2021, 10:06 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,992,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
FWIW, Japanese schools (and probably others in Asia) still require women to wear skirts. They cannot wear tights and the schools do not have heat. It snows throughout most of Japan, so this is not a comfortable situation for the girls. I think there are many other countries that still force women to wear skirts to school. CD is not just an American website.
I will acknowledge that is unfair to girls / women, as long as you acknowledge that requiring ties and/or jackets is unfair to boys / men.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:50 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,346,813 times
Dress codes are sexist to the highest degree. I think the movement to do away with them hasn't gone far enough. Our distrcit finally got rid of their horribly discriminatory dress code about 3 years ago. The new dress code is basically just cover all the important parts, and don't wear anything depicting profanity, drugs, or alcohol. Despite what some people predicted, absolutely nothing bad happened. In fact, it's just the opposite.

BTW, I am a mom or two teenagers and a former teacher.

Old 12-09-2021, 01:45 PM

7,954 posts, read 7,306,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Actually when I was 8 and it was real hot out, I didn't think to examine the social justice impact of gender-based attire. I just saw the girls wearing dresses and thought I should be able to wear shorts. But justice, while delayed, has been served as boys can now wear shorts and girls can now wear pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education