Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
We need to know more. Does this hypothetical engineer support the teaching that gravity is God's big banana fingers pushing everything down?
Alright, I concede that it would be really difficult to judge candidates based solely on the information given (which was sort of the point)...

BUT...

If that engineer has the math right, what would it really matter if he/she chooses to explain gravity as banana fingers? I mean, it's not as though this person would be teaching schoolchildren in Washington State... We're just building structures that won't fall down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Alright, I concede that it would be really difficult to judge candidates based solely on the information given (which was sort of the point)...

BUT...

If that engineer has the math right, what would it really matter if he/she chooses to explain gravity as banana fingers? I mean, it's not as though this person would be teaching schoolchildren in Washington State... We're just building structures that won't fall down.
Don't bother Cleonidas. These people come here with their minds made up and not one thing we can say will make them change it. They've been told for years that Texas teaches students creationism over evolution, and we refuse to teach young Hispanics about Sonia Sotomayor. When presented with first person accounts from people actually in Texas, they don't want to believe it.

I understand that you are trying to make the point that in the long run, it doesn't really matter if a person believes Genesis or evolution because that person is still able to perform their job otherwise. But I don't think some of these people are willing to get that message. To them, Texans are dumb and Obama is so exalted that some people shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as him.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Don't bother Cleonidas. These people come here with their minds made up and not one thing we can say will make them change it. They've been told for years that Texas teaches students creationism over evolution, and we refuse to teach young Hispanics about Sonia Sotomayor. When presented with first person accounts from people actually in Texas, they don't want to believe it.

I understand that you are trying to make the point that in the long run, it doesn't really matter if a person believes Genesis or evolution because that person is still able to perform their job otherwise. But I don't think some of these people are willing to get that message. To them, Texans are dumb and Obama is so exalted that some people shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as him.
I went to a Catholic school. We learned about Darwin and evolution in Science and Genesis in Religion.
In religion we discussed their compatibility and to this day I still remember it.
One day in the biblical sense can equate to thousands of years if not more.

In the Bible each "day" represented a span of evolution.
And in the Bible the last creation by God was man.

And this was a Catholic school, not afraid to teach both and not afraid to discuss and find how they could coexist in your mind.

It's the extremists at either end that cannot accept both.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:

BUT...

Yes, as long as the belief isn't in conflict with tenets of actual real world applications such as molecular biology and genetically modified organism with desired traits, geological theory, astrophysical theory and, ...err I mean banana peeling problems, ...then it would not matter.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:

Whelp, I reckon I'm dunn fer the day then, Ma'am.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Okay... There were plenty of engineering graduates from Texas A&M in 2011 as well, putting the rhetorical nature of the question aside for a moment. Does that mean that you wouldn't hire a 25 year old engineer?
To run a business or even an engineering department, no.

Quote:

What the hey? I'm not the one saying that! I have not made one post that asserts that. (Responding as Cleonidas was responding to me [above] and you responded to her as if I think Texas is teaching evolution and who knows what else.)

Old 09-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I went to a Catholic school. We learned about Darwin and evolution in Science and Genesis in Religion.
In religion we discussed their compatibility and to this day I still remember it.

And this was a Catholic school, not afraid to teach both and not afraid to discuss and find how they could coexist in your mind.

I agree, and I'm Catholic as well (nominally at least). Catholics never struck me as the literalists that the Baptists and Pentacostals are. I never understand how people can believe everything in the Bible is to be taken literally when one book will completely contradict another book.

I went to a Baptist school for my senior year of high school back in the '80s. When we got our brand new geography textbooks, the teacher told us to mark out the introductory paragraph because it referenced the Big Bang Theory. When I told her I believed in evolution and the Big Bang theory, or at least that I was open to the ideas and still could believe in God, she told me that the Earth is only 7,000 years old and the Bible was written by God so every word was true.

We have those people here, but I believe the vast majority aren't like that.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
To run a business or even an engineering department, no.

What the hey? I'm not the one saying that! I have not made one post that asserts that. (Responding as Cleonidas was responding to me [above] and you responded to her as if I think Texas is teaching evolution and who knows what else.)
You're right, I wasn't really responding to you specifically. I have noticed a few on this thread who will not accept the idea that what they've heard about the textbooks is not true. Sorry to imply that you were one of those people.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Yes, there is no necessary conflict between understanding evolution and religion A, B or C.

But you went to a catholic school, so the creation story was the Christian catholic one. What creation myths should a public school, that serves all, teach? Hindu creation myths, Cherokee creation myths, Inuit creation myths, Christian etc? They are just separate things - they can be taught in comparative religion class.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes, there is no necessary conflict between understanding evolution and religion A, B or C.

But you went to a catholic school, so the creation story was the Christian catholic one. What creation myths should a public school, that serves all, teach? Hindu creation myths, Cherokee creation myths, Inuit creation myths, Christian etc? They are just separate things - they can be taught in comparative religion class.
I'd say the public school should not teach any creation myths, and they don't at my kids' school. If they teach the myths, they teach them as myths or religious teachings in English (Greek Mythology) or Social Studies (religions of the world).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education