U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM

660 posts, read 2,417,813 times

Advertisements

I could really use some guidance. My daughter in currently in her 2nd year of pre-school here in MA. Our Kindergarden cutoff date is in August, and she turned 5 in November. We are planing on moving to CA next summer, where the cutoff would have been December 4th, In other words, if we currently lived in CA, she would be in Kindergarden this year. We are very concerned as to what to do in the fall of 2008. Since Kindergarden in optional in CA, we could enroll her in 1st grade. Or, we could choose to hold her back and enroll her in Kindergarden. I am worried that missing Kindergarden could cause a problem for her down the road, but since she is age eligible, it also makes sense to keep her within her own group. She is a very sweet, bright little girl, loves school, knows her numbers & letters, and does very, very well socially. She does have the ability to sit still, take direction, and is an enthusiastic learner, but she is not what you would call "gifted or super advanced" either. I feel like we are between a rock and a hard place here. She will either be on the younger side, and skip KG, or she will be, in some cases, a full year older than her classmates. Anyone else out there with any experience with this? I'm having serious mommy stress. Help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,862 times
im sure you could teach her everything that a kindergarten could so dont worry about it.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,627,049 times
Ok, I am going to speak about my own district, which is more advanced than other districts (I'm a first grade teacher). If a child missed Kindergarten and came straight to first grade, unless the parents had been schooling them at home, chances are the child would be lost. In Kindergartens here, it's not just about letters and numbers. Over 90% of Kindergarteners, and I might be lowballing it, come into first grade already reading on some level. This year I have had kindergartners coming to me in first grade reading on a first and second grade level already. This year has actually been my lowest year. I am accustomed to having more second/third and even fourth grade readers coming to me in the beginning of the year.

They come to me in the process of writing sentences.

Just a month ago I had a new first grade student come to me from another state. She was in first grade there. Well, obviously that district is lower than my district. She was on grade level there. Here, she is not. She can barely read. She can barely write. Math is hard. For our district, she is basically a Kindergarten student. She is struggling. She is bright...but is not on speed with the rest of my class.

If the district you will be putting her in is anything like mine, I would put her in Kinder. Age doesn't matter. Many parents don't start Kinder if their child would be a very young Kinder. She really might need the extra time, especially if she is bright, because then if she is behind (if you put her right in 1st grade) she will realize it.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,627,049 times
My class is full of students that turned 7 in September, October and so on. It's a norm to be a little older!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
I would say start her in kindergarten in the fall even if she is a bit older then the rest of her class. The norm across the country is not a Dec cut-off for kindergarten and she will eventually be competing with other students that started kindergarten at age 5 not age 4. Think long term as well and do you want her to be going to college when she is barely 17? I think you will find that a lot of people don't start their kids at age 4 even in California.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:53 AM

1,984 posts, read 4,785,666 times
As I high school teacher, I find that the students with the edge of age do much better. They are more mature, more organized and have the social advantage of being able to work and drive sooner than their classmates. It's the rare exception that the younger student will surpass or exceed their classmates at this age. A number of students are finishing high school at close to 19. I agree that going to college at 18 is a better advantage than going at 17. Also, with a move thrown in, she'll meet students in Kindergarten that have come from a variety of preschools, daycares etc.
If she is truly advanced for the Kindergarten program, they will move her up to 1st grade in a heartbeat. It's more wrenching to be moved back from 1st grade, or to struggle through elementary grades. The foundation of Kindergarten never hurts a child.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 AM

34,538 posts, read 42,708,506 times
They probably have pretesting. If she sails through it, OK, but if not, there's no harm in doing kindergarten over again.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:07 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
I would start her in K. Like another poster said most K programs are not what they were when we were kids. All three of my kids were reading when they entered first grade. If you are living in an area where people come into school from alot of different places you will find a large age range in the schools. Students who are slightly older do better in school than students who are slightly younger.

I think that when you are moving into a new area it will be easier for her to make friends in K. The kids are all new and don't have established groups of friends like they do in 1st grade.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:47 AM

660 posts, read 2,417,813 times
Thanks everyone. More than likely we will put her into K. I was concerned that she would be so much older, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. I can't imagine sending her off to college at 17, or having her start High School at 13.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:00 PM

268 posts, read 895,224 times
Unless you are sure she can handle it, keep her in K. I was a kindergarten teacher for 6 years. There is so much children learn in K. I have pretested several kids whom the parents wanted them to move on into 1st. Only 1 passed the test. It is hard to skip that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or