Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times

Advertisements

Chinese is mainly limited to China, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Singapore (there is some Chinese economic activity in Africa and of course there are Chinese expat communities around the world) - Spanish and French are generally more widely used

I heard it's best to work at the home office of an engineering company first and THEN get assigned to China. Trying to be a TEFL teacher in China will work against the skill sets you are trying to develop her. Likewise I imagine the same is true with Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can pickup Japanese women speaking just English. They are far less interested in your Japanese.
It helps a lot to know japanese if you are actually in japan...

Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
If you want to learn Japanese, learn Japanese. It's definitely not an easy language to learn, but it could be personally rewarding. I don't know enough about engineering to know if it will be helpful in your career, though.

Not every language we learn has to be "useful" in the real world. One language I'm learning is Finnish, which will most likely NEVER be needed by me.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 AM

948 posts, read 920,650 times
For an engineer who wants to learn a foreign language, I think Japanese could be a good choice. With a user name like Nihonkai, you must be in to Japan, right? If you want to learn Japanese, go for it.

Engineering is big in Japan. I don't know if speaking the language will improve your odds at getting a job in engineering with a Japanese company or not, because there are plenty of Japanese engineers. It might though. For example, some companies might see you as an asset for your knowledge of culture and corporate culture in your native country.

It would definitely be an asset if you are interested in work in translation or proof-reading translation. There are plenty of Japanese citizens with an engineering background to translate into Japanese, but a huge demand for native English speakers with an engineering background to translate FROM Japanese into English. In fact, a Japanese company might even hire you as an engineer with the intention of getting you to translate or proofread translations.

Another plus to learning Japanese is that you would be able to read Japanese books about engineering, and learn more about Japanese engineering. You could gain some valuable insights into your field that other engineers in your country don't have. The Japanese know a lot about engineering, so reading Japanese books about it could be helpful for you strictly from the standpoint of improving your job skills.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 9,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
For an engineer who wants to learn a foreign language, I think Japanese could be a good choice. With a user name like Nihonkai, you must be in to Japan, right? If you want to learn Japanese, go for it.

Engineering is big in Japan. I don't know if speaking the language will improve your odds at getting a job in engineering with a Japanese company or not, because there are plenty of Japanese engineers. It might though. For example, some companies might see you as an asset for your knowledge of culture and corporate culture in your native country.

It would definitely be an asset if you are interested in work in translation or proof-reading translation. There are plenty of Japanese citizens with an engineering background to translate into Japanese, but a huge demand for native English speakers with an engineering background to translate FROM Japanese into English. In fact, a Japanese company might even hire you as an engineer with the intention of getting you to translate or proofread translations.

Another plus to learning Japanese is that you would be able to read Japanese books about engineering, and learn more about Japanese engineering. You could gain some valuable insights into your field that other engineers in your country don't have. The Japanese know a lot about engineering, so reading Japanese books about it could be helpful for you strictly from the standpoint of improving your job skills.
I am about to go in Japan for work purpose in January. And I don't know whether my stay will be for long duration or short. So I was thinking if learning Japanese just to make sure people there can understand what I am going to convey(they don't speak English much). Also, I love to learn new languages and cultures. I already learned Spanish just as a hobby.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I am a professional Japanese writer and speaker. I have done their Native language exams. Yes I am saying go for it. As you are in the field of Engineering you might have a good chances.
So should I go for any institute to learn or learning from Native speakers on Skype is a good Idea or someone who is learning the language from quite some time?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihonkai View Post
I am about to go in Japan for work purpose in January. And I don't know whether my stay will be for long duration or short. So I was thinking if learning Japanese just to make sure people there can understand what I am going to convey(they don't speak English much). Also, I love to learn new languages and cultures. I already learned Spanish just as a hobby.
I would do it, but I'm also a huge nerd who loves languages. However, if you want to take on an engineering type level, you won't be able to do it by January. Japanese is a very complex language that is quite different from English. I would also advise you to learn as much about the culture as possible since it is also very different from American culture.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM

550 posts, read 965,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I would do it, but I'm also a huge nerd who loves languages. However, if you want to take on an engineering type level, you won't be able to do it by January. Japanese is a very complex language that is quite different from English. I would also advise you to learn as much about the culture as possible since it is also very different from American culture.
This is great advice.

Before learning the language, understand and embrace the culture in both business and social settings. The formal business introductions, the way you bow, the way you look (or don't look) into someone's eyes when talking, understanding your place in the hierarchy, etc. is very important. Japan is very much an even-keyed, peaceful society and if you are happy with conformity, you will do well.

Also, +1 that if you want to learn Japanese for your engineering job, it will be extremely complex.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 AM

183 posts, read 292,397 times
That won't be a waste of time unless you are not going to Japan and getting job or starting business there. Learning new things can never be a waste of time.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yeah you are correct, culture is what I need to understand. But, I am confused about where to learn all this Is YouTube a good Idea of having a person who knows about it can teach me on Sype? Or I have to go personally somewhere. Really confused about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education