Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,966,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I'm wondering why the second report card mentioned deficiencies that the first one didn't. And the OP says her daughter practices handwriting at home, and that it's fine. I don't think the OP should stress out yet. And especially, not share the contents of the report with her child, but simply observe the child at home for potential self-control, listening and motor skills issues.

Wait for the next report card. There seems to be some inconsistency so far. Wait and see how it plays out.

I also wonder why handwriting is even an issue only a few weeks into the school year. Do they learn to write the alphabet that fast, starting in week one, that handwriting would already be graded?
Just a few comments about handwriting.

The school districts in my area are started the second quarter this week. I bet that schools that started in early August are one third of the way through the school year. Most schools would start learning how to write very quickly. Eight to twelve weeks, out of a 34-36 week school year, is not "just a few weeks into the school year".

A lot depends on the district. In my area, probably about 25% of the students enter kindergarten being able to write all or most of the letters, and the teacher concentrates on improving their handwriting in kindergarten. And, probably 95% of the students are able to write their names and a few additional letters the first day of kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 4,840,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626;
Just a few comments about handwriting.

The school districts in my area are started the second quarter this week. I bet that schools that started in early August are one third of the way through the school year. Most schools would start learning how to write very quickly. Eight to twelve weeks, out of a 34-36 week school year, is not "just a few weeks into the school year".

A lot depends on the district. In my area, probably about 25% of the students enter kindergarten being able to write all or most of the letters, and the teacher concentrates on improving their handwriting in kindergarten. And, probably 95% of the students are able to write their names and a few additional letters the first day of kindergarten.
For the sake of accuracy, since some time has passed since the discussion started, below is the OP's post. 6-7 weeks into the first semester, the kid's doing poorly in handwriting. This, after a good progress report (except for listening skills), and a very positive teacher meeting. OK, I guess 6-7 weeks is enough time to be well-practiced in handwriting. I still question this, since the mom works with the kid at home on handwriting, and would know if there's a problem.

I don't know how kids could be 1/3 of the way through the school year already at the beginning of November, if the school year goes into June. almost 2 months remain in the semester, and then there's January through early June. But I guess I'm out of touch with the school calendar these days.

I also think it's strange that most of the kids in this girl's class are 6 or almost 6. Where are all the 5-yr. olds? Like another poster, I was 4 in kindergarten, and learned to write the alphabet, my name, numbers, and a bit more. Who let all those 6-yr-olds into kindergarten? Is this a new trend? What's the point? Why hold kids back like that? At 6 I was in 2nd grade, and these 6-yr-olds are in kindergarten! Those are going to be some bored kids when they get into higher grades, if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesmomma View Post
My daughter just turned 5 two weeks before school started. She was in pre-school a year before starting kindergarten with no issues. We started receiving notes home her 2nd week of school. About one a week informing us she was not listening and having to be told more than once. I received her progress report and everything was great except her listening skills needed improvement. A week later I had a routine meeting with the teacher she raved about how well she was doing in reading comprehension and math. Also informed me that my daughter was the youngest child in her class and all the other kids are 6 or about to be 6. She can tell that my daughter is as she put it a "newly" five year old and that she needs to remind her self when speaking to her. She was very appreciative that when she sends notes home that the following day my daughter will apologize and explain why she is apologizing. Now four weeks later I receive her report card and it shows that she needs improvement in listening, practicing self control, motor skills, and handwriting. I immediately contacted the school and they have set a meeting with the teacher, assistant principal, and myself. I just don't understand how she could have been doing so well academically and now all of a sudden with no warning in 4 weeks her motor skills and handwriting has tanked. She has homework M-T about an hours worth and I work with her and her handwriting is getting better if anything. I am just not sure if the academic portion was marked because of her behavior and why wouldn't the teacher have contacted me. Also along with the report card she sent a 1 page letter home and some of the stuff in it did not make sense to me. Like my daughter is eager to make friends but very immature and is having a difficult time. I know she has lots of friends many who were in pre-k with her. Also she states that she is eager to participate in comprehension lessons but has not attend enough but has perfect attendance.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,360,955 times
Quote:
For the sake of accuracy, since some time has passed since the discussion started, below is the OP's post. 6-7 weeks into the first semester, the kid's doing poorly in handwriting. This, after a good progress report (except for listening skills), and a very positive teacher meeting. OK, I guess 6-7 weeks is enough time to be well-practiced in handwriting. I still question this, since the mom works with the kid at home on handwriting, and would know if there's a problem.

I don't know how kids could be 1/3 of the way through the school year already at the beginning of November, if the school year goes into June. almost 2 months remain in the semester, and then there's January through early June. But I guess I'm out of touch with the school calendar these days.

I also think it's strange that most of the kids in this girl's class are 6 or almost 6. Where are all the 5-yr. olds? Like another poster, I was 4 in kindergarten, and learned to write the alphabet, my name, numbers, and a bit more. Who let all those 6-yr-olds into kindergarten? Is this a new trend? What's the point? Why hold kids back like that? At 6 I was in 2nd grade, and these 6-yr-olds are in kindergarten! Those are going to be some bored kids when they get into higher grades, if you ask me.
The cut off date for many school districts, for kindergarten, is for kids to be 5 by September 1st. Schools nationwide have a wide range of start and stop dates. I know our relatives in Arizona started school no later than August 15 and were done in May.

When I went to Kindergarten, I was also 5. However, my kindergarten had naps and lots of playtime. That's more like pre-school now. Kindergarten now is more like 1st grade. In my district, they have FINALS for kindergarten kids, although they call them something less scary. It's a crazy world.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,000,409 times
My son is the youngest in his first grade class. Penmanship is his biggest issue as well...although its no worse than my 39 year old husband.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:

Yes. 6-7 wks is about 1/6 of a 36 week school year, regardless of when school starts/stops.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 PM

26,587 posts, read 26,467,894 times
Quote:
I also think it's strange that most of the kids in this girl's class are 6 or almost 6. Where are all the 5-yr. olds?
They were all held out by their parents. No one wants their child having to compete with students who are up to 16 months older than their barely 5 year old.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,535,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They were all held out by their parents. No one wants their child having to compete with students who are up to 16 months older than their barely 5 year old.
Yep, people call it red shirting. Only its school not sports. It's to give their kids a better chance later in school because they are more mature and able to handle more advanced concepts. Plus kids grow up so fast why rush them?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:13 PM

4,040 posts, read 4,840,205 times
Quote:
That's crazy! Some of those older starters could be bored out of their skulls later on.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:19 PM

26,587 posts, read 26,467,894 times
Quote:
That's crazy! Some of those older starters could be bored out of their skulls later on.
Actually, most seem to have lots of confidence and go on to do well in higher education, from what I've seen of both our kids' classmates (especially the boys).

Old 11-12-2014, 06:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,966,016 times
Quote:
I disagree. Especially now when there are so many accelerated classes in elementary & middle schools and a lot of AP classes in most high schools. A few HSs even have joint HS & college programs, so you get both HS & college credits for the same classes.

Quote:
Actually, most seem to have lots of confidence and go on to do well in higher education, from what I've seen of both our kids' classmates (especially the boys).
Although, red shirting was not very common when my children your younger, in the cases that I did see (as well as the oldest children in the correct grade) the children did extremely well all through school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education