Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
High School was a long time ago. I prefer to forget it.
You and me both. I was really amazed when I saw pictures of people who went to see our old high school torn down talking about how much it will be missed...um, no one has gone there in 25 years. Apparently there are a lot of people who look back on high school with fond memories. I'm not one of them. The best thing about high school was leaving high school. My 40th reunion is coming up. I won't be going. There's no one there I care to talk to. I'd only confirm that I never mattered to any of them.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Just wondering if it was for anyone out there. I enjoyed college way more. Either case, I hardly ever think about high school or college anymore.
High School was okay, it was an interesting four year period. I've found adulthood much more enjoyable.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
No. High school was cool, and college was fun (sometimes). Being an adult, making a good salary and being able to do what you want most of the time always beats high school.

My H.S. reunion just passed and I didn't go. Oddly, I didn't regret skipping out. It's a time in my life that I enjoyed, but not something I'd want to revisit.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 AM

305 posts, read 282,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't really remember much about high school. It was just a quick blur it seems. I went to a high school reunion and it was sort of funny because even after all those years some of the girls seemed to be bragging about being captain of the cheerleading squad or prom queen or whatever and talking about it like it was yesterday. It was sort of like they were stuck in that time of their life......I couldn't even remember their names and I was around them all day long every day back then. lol

I assume that is because if you haven't seen them in a long time that's the highlights of the period of time you shared together.

That's not unusual.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
But it's much much worse with men who played football in high school.
Something about those guys...they can't stop replaying their glory days, lol
Flash forward a decade or 2 & thats still what they talk about *yawn*
while trying to impress a new love interest.
Lmao, no thanks.

Physically speaking, high school football is probably more competitive than football by people in their 40s, so I don't mind them being proud of their accomplishments.

It's not like being proud of their 7-year old memories that would be terrible to reflect on.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree with this. The higher up you start, the harder the fall is if you fall.

I've known several people who claim high school as their glory days and they try to relive them every chance they get. Mostly football players who were not too bright and not talented enough to get into professional sports. When they start talking I start hearing the theme song from Married with Children and picture Al Bundy sitting on the couch reliving his football days in high school.

For those of us who never made it to the top...for whom things have always been a struggle...we figure out much sooner that life isn't about this accomplishment or that one. It's not a contest. Once you realize that it gets easier to be happy where you are.

I feel badly for the woman you talked about. Not a great place to be.

Eh, I don't think this mindset is a good one. That sounds like "willing to settle for less" and that isn't attractive in dating either.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You and me both. I was really amazed when I saw pictures of people who went to see our old high school torn down talking about how much it will be missed...um, no one has gone there in 25 years. Apparently there are a lot of people who look back on high school with fond memories. I'm not one of them. The best thing about high school was leaving high school. My 40th reunion is coming up. I won't be going. There's no one there I care to talk to. I'd only confirm that I never mattered to any of them.

What annoys me is how posts like these brag about how much they've changed since high school, but then insist that people who go to reunions were incapable of changing too.

That's a totally ridiculous assumption to make.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No. High school was cool, and college was fun (sometimes). Being an adult, making a good salary and being able to do what you want most of the time always beats high school.

My H.S. reunion just passed and I didn't go. Oddly, I didn't regret skipping out. It's a time in my life that I enjoyed, but not something I'd want to revisit.

You were able to do what you wanted most of the time in high school too unless your parents were control freaks.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
Eh, I don't think this mindset is a good one. That sounds like "willing to settle for less" and that isn't attractive in dating either.
The thing people don't realize about life is that eventually something bad will happen. I'm simply noting that people weather the storm better when they're used to navigating storms. It's actually a good thing. Life isn't about waiting for the rain to stop. It's about learning to dance in the rain. If you're only happy when you're on top, you're going to have a problem. As my grandma used to say "Happiness is a choice". I can choose to be happy where I am but that doesn't mean I'm settling for anything. I'm just realizing that life is life and it has it's ups and downs. If I rely on being up to be happy, I'm going to spend a lot of my life disappointed.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
What annoys me is how posts like these brag about how much they've changed since high school, but then insist that people who go to reunions were incapable of changing too.

That's a totally ridiculous assumption to make.
No. I've changed enough that I don't care to relive high school. Why would I want to hang out with people who do want to relive it? Whether they've changed or not is irrelevant. Obviously, they have not changed enough to want to leave high school behind as I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education