Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM

366 posts, read 432,791 times

Advertisements

I attended my 20 year reunion. Less than half of the graduating class showed up. I stayed for about 2 hours and then left. Nothing special
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,022 times
My 10 year high school anniversary is June 2015, they will probably have a reunion and I will probably not go.

If I haven't talked to those people in 10 years, there really isn't a reason to see them. I think people are excited about high school reunions primarily due to two reasons:

1.) High school was the peak of their life and they want to go back and reminisce about it. "Remember we were on the football team together and was super popular? That was the climax of my life as it only went downhill from there!"

OR

2.) Didn't fit in during high school and want to go back to show off how successful they are now. "Hey! Look at my job, salary, trophy wife, house, car, etc!"

The people that are against going back probably were unpopular then and unsuccessful now. They don't want to go back and relive the agony and humiliation. "Dude, you're still single, unemployed/underemployed, ****ty job, living with your mom/in a ****ty apartment? A loser then, and still a loser now."

The people that don't really care either way, and might consider going only if it is convenient for them and doesn't cost them much time or money probably had a mediocre time and could care less about high school. I was 13-17 years old while in high school. I have long removed myself from that time in my life.

I really don't see the point or value in reuniting with people that I really didn't like much to begin with nor talked to in years. Some of us have moved on to bigger and better things. Once I get the official time and date of my high school reunion I might go, if it is convenient for me to do so...

Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times
My class held a 5 year reunion recently. I was invited on Facebook, but I declined. I think 5 years is too soon. From the pictures I saw, there weren't very many that showed up. The people that showed up were people that hangout when they are back in the area anyways. High school wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. It was just something I had to go through for 4 years. I have to admit I get a little bit of satisfaction when I see the Facebook profiles of some of the meaner kids -- many of them are working crappy jobs and are tied down with kids. I still talk with those I care about. Why would I go and force myself to talk to former classmates that weren't my friends? Seems really awkward and silly to me.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
My high school reunion was held a couple of weeks ago, but I decided not to attend. There were no pressing matters in front of me. I enjoyed high school yet wasn't particularly enthused about seeing old classmates. The people I cared about most are still close friends today. Social media has made the world smaller, so it's easier to keep track of old acquaintances.

I loved my H.S. but always felt that I was on the outside looking in. I wasn't an outcast, had enough friends and lots of extracurricular activities. Hard to explain....

Have any of you attended your H.S. reunion? How did you feel? Have you maintained relationships with any of your former classmates?
I went to my 20th and just went to my (yikes!) much later one...

The 20th, I think, is always a tough one. We are all a little weird as we move into our 40's. We are striving and trying to become (and show we have become) somethin' special. Women are more competitive with each other at that age, I think. (There's quite a bit of research on this that I'll try and find later ...) It felt phony and was no fun.

However, many years later things are different. I am so glad I went. I have had some erroneous notions stuck somewhere in the back of my head about high school and my home town that were dispelled at this event. It was wonderful. There were a few snobs and a few PITA's but very few. I think since we are all way north of our 50's there's not as much competition for who is the best - pick one: best looking, richest, best parent, best at staying thin, ad nauseum. Instead, we sat around and had wonderful conversations about life. We didn't dwell so much on the past as we just enjoyed each others company in the moment. In some cases I was reminded why I didn't care for someone way back when, and in other cases I got to discover the hidden gem that was there all along. One of the encounters turned out to be very sweet and the renewal of friendship was great. One was bittersweet, as the person I reconnected with became very ill right afterwards. The people who never grew up, well, what can ya do? I just smiled sweetly and found something really fascinating on the other side of the room to go see. Next!

I think that bolded statement above actually speaks for about 90% of us. Maybe 10% really had a great time in High School... but if you think about it, that may be the ONLY time they had a great time in their entire life. Some people peaked out in High School and their lives never got any better.

I just happened to see this video featured on Wimp.com that says it well - It reminds me of something my dad said to me when I left for college: "Everyone is scared. Everyone is lonely. Everyone has self doubt. Remember that and you'll do fine." If we can remember that each person returning to their High School reunion is wrestling with those old high school memories and images, we might just be a little nicer to each other and come away with, at the very least, a pleasant experience. Hopefully it will be more than that and you will reconnect with people who can remain friends in your current life. I'm sure glad I did!

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 11-10-2014 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
I wasn't very fond of high school and don't keep in touch with anyone from that period of my life, save for my best friend. I really don't see the point of attending one of these reunions and trying to be social with people who I have long forgotten existed in the first place.

Now, if someone were to hold a college reunion I'd be all over it. College was a far superior experience on every imaginable level.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:16 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
My 10 year high school anniversary is June 2015, they will probably have a reunion and I will probably not go.

If I haven't talked to those people in 10 years, there really isn't a reason to see them. I think people are excited about high school reunions primarily due to two reasons:

1.) High school was the peak of their life and they want to go back and reminisce about it. "Remember we were on the football team together and was super popular? That was the climax of my life as it only went downhill from there!"

OR

2.) Didn't fit in during high school and want to go back to show off how successful they are now. "Hey! Look at my job, salary, trophy wife, house, car, etc!"

The people that are against going back probably were unpopular then and unsuccessful now. They don't want to go back and relive the agony and humiliation. "Dude, you're still single, unemployed/underemployed, ****ty job, living with your mom/in a ****ty apartment? A loser then, and still a loser now."

The people that don't really care either way, and might consider going only if it is convenient for them and doesn't cost them much time or money probably had a mediocre time and could care less about high school. I was 13-17 years old while in high school. I have long removed myself from that time in my life.

I really don't see the point or value in reuniting with people that I really didn't like much to begin with nor talked to in years. Some of us have moved on to bigger and better things. Once I get the official time and date of my high school reunion I might go, if it is convenient for me to do so...
I don't want to go not for showing off but because I don't want to put myself back into that horrible environment where they are getting into their cliques and the bitching. I only see the point in going if you were popular and had lots of friends, whats the point if it was crap and you didn't enjoy yourself.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Hey now! Not only "freaks" got high in the bathroom. At my school, most of the top 10% of graduates, grade wise, did. And many of them still do.
Not at my school. The jocks and preps were drinkers, but only the freaks (which my school considered all goths and skaters to be) actually smoked weed or did LSD. The top 10%ers were all too busy studying to party. True nerds.

And I don't use the term "freaks" to be derogatory - that was their self-assigned label (because everyone in high school had to have a label, right? ). So their name was "freaks" (it should be noted that at my university the goths were called The Deviants (a label they loved) and were awesome. When I was a junior at university I was running for student government and I asked the head Deviant to give my introduction speech. I was mocked for making this choice, but I stood by it. Sure enough, he gave the best speech of the morning and everyone considered me a genius for selecting him to do my intro speech (I won the election in a landslide and I credited him for the win at the time)).

Oh, and my label in high school? A Nobody. That was someone who didn't fit into any one category and as a result only had a few friends and a small social life.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
My high school reunions I attend; my college ROTC unit reunions I do not.

Essentially to the latter, I have no wish to associate with those who are still playing Corps 30-35 years after the fact.

It seems like my high school reunions are much more mature. Even the head cheerleader recognizes that it was in the past and this is now.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:33 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Attending Your H.S. Reunion is just a way for many to size you up,
and see if you made something of yourself, or where you a failure in life.

Birds of a feather flock together ...
and many will segregate themselves from you before the reunion is over,
and you will be left out of any conversation with them.

H.S. Reunions are a waste of time unless you want to see
who did not succeed in life's high society, and in that case I would not want
to see those High Society Peacocks strutting their arrogates around.

Don't waste your time and I did not waste mine ! ! !

Wow....bitter much?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:40 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I went to mine because i literally have no social life.

12 out of 200+ showed up. And only 2 were in my classes. And i hated everyone in HS.

It did not make my social life any better. Maybe made it worse since i puked in the parking lot.

You sound pretty angry. Perhaps that's why you have no social life? Did you happen to be goth in high school? That group tended to be pretty anti-social to begin with and I imagine some of them never really got out of that frame of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education