Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

How sad and unfortunate for our kids as well as our teachers. is there any hope?

An open letter to America from a public school teacher – Quartz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
If it were only true... Michael Mau teaches English. The PISA is the only one I know of that tests reading internationally. The U.S. ranked 24th and Russia ranked 41st. I'm not sure why he thinks his district did away with art. I checked, it was still there, along with band and everything else. It seems he personally moved the art teacher, Mrs. Spurlock, to Starbucks without the district or her actually knowing anything about it. I think this was a work of fiction that was really meant to stir people up more than address a reality. State assessments have been around since Mr. Mau started teaching, so he knew this going in.

The main reason I dislike this article though is not because it is purely a fabrication of Mau's mind, but that it has a negative, defeatist mentality. I wish a dedicated educator like Mau would write something that would inspire positive change in education. The way he writes is not a good reflection of the Jessamine County School District and I don't think he is being a good representative of his school. I personally don't think he actually believes what he wrote to be true, but to be sensationalist. I think this article deserves a wag of the finger.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I read this letter several times, and I cannot see how anyone would read it as anything other than satire. The readers of McSweeney's as well as all of the other platforms where this letter was reposted can see that. Sometimes you have to distort the facts to tell the truth. Michael Mau is speaking to an audience bigger than Jessamine County, Tennessee and this Ms. Spurlock.If his school is not actually like the one in the letter, great. However, many of our schools are, and teachers are too scared to speak up. You call it sensationalist--I say it's sensational.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
I am a teacher too, and I feel exactly the same way the author of the test does. Except for one thing - I don't blame parents. Parents hate the testing too - unfortunately, they really have no idea how it affects their children's days. Most parents are really clueless about what is happening in the schools.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
If Mr. Mau is so passionate about teaching, he should consider looking for employment in a private or charter school that will let him run his classroom the way he wants.

Then he will be a true professional instead of a cog in the public school machine.

Of course, that would probably mean taking a pay cut and giving up some benefits....

Overall, he sounds whiny.

File under "Wants cake and eat it, too."

Old 01-21-2015, 09:58 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Teachers at charter schools need to jump through the same hoops. We had our kids in a charter for a year in an effort to avoid the testing, testing, testing, but alas, they're bound by the same rules as the public schools. It's a shame...

Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
What does art, music and drama have to do with high school English?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What does art, music and drama have to do with high school English?
Is this a serious question? If it is I will answer it. Art, music and drama are intertwined. They are ways of expressing human thought and emotion. In addition to being related to high school English they are also related to history. Being able to read, analyze and express thoughts is a skill that is 100% necessary. Communication is a 21st century skill. Communication includes art, music and drama. There is more than one way to express thoughts.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Teachers at charter schools need to jump through the same hoops. We had our kids in a charter for a year in an effort to avoid the testing, testing, testing, but alas, they're bound by the same rules as the public schools. It's a shame...
Didn't we get here because American kids were falling behind kids from other parts of the world? So it's not like the old way was working out brilliantly either. Basically we traded one unsuccessful one-size-fits-all education method with another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education