U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:36 AM

13,471 posts, read 9,050,620 times

Advertisements

It is about the one thing politicians won't blame - bad parenting. And it matters very little what the reason is for that poor parenting, whether it is being overwhelmed or just not giving a crap, overcoming that household influence is an uphill battle.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM

5,154 posts, read 4,025,968 times
While some claim that the problem is that cities have less tax money to build and staff schools, it was proven long ago that educational achievement was NOT correlated to how much money is spent on education. Educational achievement IS directly correlated to the socioeconomic class of the parents, and cities have have lots of poor and near-poor students.

Intelligent, hard-working people will tend to move out of the city as soon as possible, due to high crime rates and general urban ugliness. Therefore, those left in the city tend to be much lower in intelligence and work ethic.

The racial achievement gap (whites vs blacks & hispanics) has not narrowed at all, despite decades of trying everything under the sun. "While black and Hispanic students showed gains in the percentage of students scoring at or above basic and at or above proficient between 2009 and 2013, those gains did nothing to slim the broader achievement gap between them and their white peers." (Education racial gap wide as ever according to NAEP | MSNBC).

Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM

86,101 posts, read 67,316,054 times
Hispanics tend to fair much better than Blacks though. And it could be that Hispanics have their own set of socio economic problems different than those of Blacks. Many Hispanics grow up in a 2 parent home. Education though is not a high priority with Hispanics. Family comes first and you have attendance issues with Hispanics because of this. When grandma gets sick the entire family travels to grandma's house and stay there until she's better. This is cultural.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 AM

6,856 posts, read 7,249,370 times
I can't believe that anyone would seriously ask this question.

It HAS to be evident to any literate person by now, what the answer is, and why.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:16 AM

687 posts, read 619,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
I can't think of an exception to this, it's even true for small cities, like mine, which only has 50,000 people, so my question is, why?
I assume by using "inner-city" you're really using a code for "Black Schools" and trying to avoid saying it. Nothing wrong with stating it outright, we might as well be honest about the world in which we live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
because the inner city students don't give a dam
Exactly right. I'm tired of the PC/liberal crowd blaming everyone and everything in between heaven and hell for these kid's problems. It's not the teachers, it's not the books, it's not the school buildings, and it's clearly not a money issue since nearly every "inner-city" school system in America spends more per pupil than suburban systems. So what is it? Maybe it's the students. Sure they grow up with horrible parents oftentimes, with about an 80% chance of father not being in sight, but how is that my fault? I'm tired of being blamed for their problems, I am no longer guilt-tripped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because the environment kids come from is a bigger predictor of educational outcomes than anything else. Kids who grow up in households where they are taught to read, who are surrounded by educated adults and who have peers who come from similar households are more likely to see value in education. Kids who grow up in households where education is not valued who have peers who also grew up in households where education is not modeled as a value will more likely not value education. Contrary to popular belief it's not the quality of the teachers that matters. It's the quality of the student. While we teachers live for the student we can help, they are rare. For most we make no difference.
Which brings up another point to tie it all in. Why do they have kids in unstable situations: socially unstable, monetarily unstable, and environments which are often physically unsafe? I think the abundant amount of welfare given to people who make poor decisions in life has a lot to do with it....it allows them to make those poor decisions and to keep making them, over and over again, generation after generation.

Honestly I'm tired of paying for it (in more ways than one), and especially for being blamed for it. I'm not "privileged", I'm normal. Oops, my apologies for getting an education, holding a modest job, and staying out of jail my entire life. Yeah, so "privileged" right there.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 AM

86,101 posts, read 67,316,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I assume by using "inner-city" you're really using a code for "Black Schools" and trying to avoid saying it. Nothing wrong with stating it outright, we might as well be honest about the world in which we live.
"inner city" mean poor, really poor.
It's just that Blacks make up the majority of these poor schools.
The Whites that attend these schools are just as lacking and apathetic to education as their Black peers are.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:38 AM

14,417 posts, read 17,177,482 times
Because America has a caste system just like every other major country.

We just don't call it that.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 774,922 times
Clearly it's the air pressure and composition of the ground water that makes inner city schools "bad" and suburban schools "good." Any other explanation is beyond the pale.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 AM

3,096 posts, read 4,472,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post

Exactly right. I'm tired of the PC/liberal crowd blaming everyone and everything in between heaven and hell for these kid's problems. It's not the teachers, it's not the books, it's not the school buildings, and it's clearly not a money issue since nearly every "inner-city" school system in America spends more per pupil than suburban systems. So what is it? Maybe it's the students. Sure they grow up with horrible parents oftentimes, with about an 80% chance of father not being in sight, but how is that my fault? I'm tired of being blamed for their problems, I am no longer guilt-tripped.

Which brings up another point to tie it all in. Why do they have kids in unstable situations: socially unstable, monetarily unstable, and environments which are often physically unsafe? I think the abundant amount of welfare given to people who make poor decisions in life has a lot to do with it....it allows them to make those poor decisions and to keep making them, over and over again, generation after generation.

Honestly I'm tired of paying for it (in more ways than one), and especially for being blamed for it. I'm not "privileged", I'm normal. Oops, my apologies for getting an education, holding a modest job, and staying out of jail my entire life. Yeah, so "privileged" right there.
Maybe not the right forum for this, but there are extensive race inequities which perpetuate this type of environment for kids of color.

While I am glad that you stayed out of jail, it isn't as easy for a black person to avoid jail.
-- Did you ever experiment with drugs? Most kids do, and statistically a black person is no more likely to use or sell drugs than a white person. However, a black person caught with drugs is more likely to be arrested, more likely to be convicted, more likely to be incarcerated, and more likely to receive a longer sentence than a white person.

-- One in three black men will be incarcerated during their lifetime. This affects their family (it's why many families don't have a dad around) and their prospects for employment once they leave prison.

-- Kids of color are more likely to be stopped (contacted) by the police for "suspicious" behavior, more likely to be searched, and more likely to be caught with something like marijuana or other drugs. White kids have weed too, but they are hardly ever stopped and searched.

-- Black youths are more likely than white youths to be referred into the juvenile justice system by schools even when committing the same offenses. Black youths in the juvenile justice system are much more likely to be moved from juvenile to (adult) criminal court and adult prison.

I work in a predominantly wealthy white suburb. I have seen these kids doing things that, if they were black, would result in suspension, expulsion, and even jail time, but a lawyer and a threat of a lawsuit always seems to work things back into their favor.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 AM

259 posts, read 248,523 times
Many policies (zoning, lot size restrictions, etc.) work to concentrate poverty in certain areas and these areas tend to amplify the social and family problems listed in other postings. If the poor were dispersed throughout the community there wouldn't be "good" versus "bad" schools.

Many suburban areas are so restrictive in housing rules that even the teachers that teach there, can't afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or