Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times

Advertisements

I think it is good to require another language in school. I had that requirement and am glad for the experience. I do take issue with the poster who said SPANISH should be required in elementary school. When I was in grade school, we had 4 or 5 languages to choose from. Parents should have a choice which language they wish their child to learn. For example, a family with German ancestry should certainly have the option of having their child take German. For the business savvy parent, Chinese might be the best option. Spanish may be some people's first choice, but it shouldn't be required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 PM

139 posts, read 375,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I think it is good to require another language in school. I had that requirement and am glad for the experience. I do take issue with the poster who said SPANISH should be required in elementary school. When I was in grade school, we had 4 or 5 languages to choose from. Parents should have a choice which language they wish their child to learn. For example, a family with German ancestry should certainly have the option of having their child take German. For the business savvy parent, Chinese might be the best option. Spanish may be some people's first choice, but it shouldn't be required.
I agree! I wish they would offer more language classes at my school (as of right now it's only French).
I think that even learning Latin or sign language would be beneficial to anyone.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty53000 View Post
Learning Spanish actually helped me A LOT with English grammar rules.
They have prepositional phrases, direct object pronouns, etc. in Spanish as well as English, so learning Spanish was like learning more about English... but in a different language, hahaha, I doubt that'll make sense to many.
Actually, I think the prepositions are more difficult in Spanish. My students would use two prepositions in English often because that made sense in Spanish. They wanted to put an article in front of every noun, too, and never quite believed me when I insisted it wasn't necessary, LOL.

Practically speaking, I think our education system needs to become more specialized/user-friendly. I taught 12th Grade British Lit. and always sympathized with my kids who were vocationally oriented. "But, Miss," they'd say. "I love to weld! I just want to go to a vocational school to get a welding certificate when I graduate. I don't need to learn how to write a sonnet!" Honestly, they were right. I did convince them that they'd win points with their girlfriends, though, if they could write decent, romantic sonnets for them!

Unfortunately, our educational system tends not to value the kids who want to become welders, plumbers, auto technicians, carpenters, and farmers. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to learn a trade and I think we've forgotten that. Conversely, those who want/need more specialized courses in languages, histories, and advanced coursework get short-changed. We lump all of our kids into mostly the same classes and think that one size fits all.

So, mandatory languages and multi-cultural learning? No way. We'd lose those with different interests and less intellectual capabilities. However, it could be optional.

Last edited by teatime; 01-03-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM

278 posts, read 910,238 times
I thought in order to get into college kids had to take at least two years of a foreign language.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:13 PM

139 posts, read 375,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
I thought in order to get into college kids had to take at least two years of a foreign language.
Most state universities require 2 credits of a highschool foreign language, however, schools like Harvard require 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Actually, I think the prepositions are more difficult in Spanish. My students would use two prepositions in English often because that made sense in Spanish. They wanted to put an article in front of every noun, too, and never quite believed me when I insisted it wasn't necessary, LOL.

Practically speaking, I think our education system needs to become more specialized/user-friendly. I taught 12th Grade British Lit. and always sympathized with my kids who were vocationally oriented. "But, Miss," they'd say. "I love to weld! I just want to go to a vocational school to get a welding certificate when I graduate. I don't need to learn how to write a sonnet!" Honestly, they were right. I did convince them that they'd win points with their girlfriends, though, if they could write decent, romantic sonnets for them!

Unfortunately, our educational system tends not to value the kids who want to become welders, plumbers, auto technicians, carpenters, and farmers. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to learn a trade and I think we've forgotten that. Conversely, those who want/need more specialized courses in languages, histories, and advanced coursework get short-changed. We lump all of our kids into mostly the same classes and think that one size fits all.

So, mandatory languages and multi-cultural learning? No way. We'd lose those with different interests and less intellectual capabilities. However, it could be optional.
Very, very true.
I would've loved your British Literature class, lol, I like studying subjects like Literature, Art, Languages, History, (liberal arts type stuff and humanities basically). If I never had to take another science class again in my life I would be very happy, lol. BUT, I did love my biology class - it was incredibly interesting.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
It varies. Plus, some colleges have a foreign language requirement for some majors and not for others.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Teatime's comments about our education system are dead-on.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yes this is America. The same America that continues to lose value against Europe and soon also Asia as we ignorantly continue to push "English only" while the rest of the world's janitors speak at least two languages. Spanish should absolutely be mandatory starting in Kindergarten as it prepares the next generation for our changing hemisphere while simultaneously improving reading comprehension in English. We are already getting our rear ends handed to us in Math and Science when compared to other countries. Do we want to have it so we also have to bring in Indians and Europeans to take all the jobs that require Spanish speakers also?
I totally agree with this.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
I took 7 courses of Spanish in high school (as far up as it went) and 2 of French and I will forever be resentful that I was stripped of my ability to take more. At my college, most international students speak AT LEAST 3 languages- English, French, and their home language if from Europe or English, Chinese, and their home language if from Asia. Most can speak 5 or 6 fluently. I speak English, but 4 years of taking Spanish with kids whose parents told them that "this is America, you don't need Spanish" took a hit on all of us. By the end of Spanish 7, I was probably only on a 3rd or 4th grade Spanish reading level. We need more than that.

The two years required by most high schools is barely enough to carry on a VERY simple conversation. Maybe ask for directions (but not understand the landmarks) or get something in a restaurant. Most kids who take 2, 3, or even 4 courses of Spanish or French (be it a year or, like my block scheduled school, a half a year of 90 minute classes) in high school have to restart in Spanish or French 101 in college as it is because these classes are full of kids who could care less or don't believe it's necessary.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
The world is changing and our children should be prepared to handle the changes. Knowing two or three languages is a really good thing. In the future our kids will not only be competing with other Americans for work but other people from around the world for work. Those that are fluent in more than one language will have a distinct advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education