Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,313,081 times

Advertisements

Being taught by a few very strict Catholic School Nuns... anyone in Catholic school in the old days knows what I am talking about. Corporal punishment was OK in those schools. Not that I used to get hit, I was mostly an excellent and quiet student. but even the smallest infraction would bring their wrath. I used to get anxiety attacks from going into certain classrooms. Not sure why they thought it was effective to be so strict. Because it was NOT.
Actually worse than that was attending a large state Univ. I had so many profs that were complete ego-manics and head cases. I ended up leaving. To this day, I wish I could have stuck it out. But the learning atmosphere was FAR from nurturing. They all acted like they were doing you a favor by allowing you in their classrooms. There were a few good ones, but mostly terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,453,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Trying to fit in
NOT fitting in was the worst.

I'm going to have to go with getting beaten up at the bus stop by a gang of girls while everyone watched. Goes with not fitting in. If I never see anyone I graduated with again that's fine with me. The only person I care anything about I'm still in contact with. The rest can go to hell.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:03 PM

23,380 posts, read 23,798,100 times
My Business Communications and Speech Communications professors were both quite "hot" in college. Hard to focus on my studies for those two courses.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,309,688 times
When I told my chem teacher that I was being bullied and sexually harassed, he chuckled and said, "That's just the way boys are." When I told the same to my guidance counselor, she told me that there was nothing she could do. A few weeks later, my chem teacher joined in on the fun.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,912,487 times
Most of the bad memories have faded away at this point, and I mostly remember good things. Even what seemed bad at the time doesn't seem so bad in retrospect.

Probably the worst thing consistently was the feeling of anxiety that popped up if I thought I forgot something important, or did some part of the work incorrectly. Everything turned out OK in the long run, but there were times I messed up on assignments and felt stupid.

I went to a strict high school and initially had some anxiety about being disciplined. Eventually I got over that and started to enjoy breaking the rules, even if I got caught. I realized that being disciplined wasn't that big a deal, and sometimes it was worth it. But the first few times, it was hard and made me very anxious.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:12 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,405,242 times
Default Worst memories you have of school

Getting my report cards and getting my a$$ kicked by a smaller guy in middle school.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:03 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,988,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
NOT fitting in was the worst.

I'm going to have to go with getting beaten up at the bus stop by a gang of girls while everyone watched. Goes with not fitting in. If I never see anyone I graduated with again that's fine with me. The only person I care anything about I'm still in contact with. The rest can go to hell.
I'll second the bus stop and the girl gang. My girl gang was just one fat b****, though. Every damn day. She's still fat and ugly (I googled her and found a pic). Hah. It was middle school, not high school. High school was OK because my parents sent me to private school, mostly to get away from the bullying.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,283,516 times
Much of high school I could not understand why many my teachers seemed to despise me. Things like repeatedly miscalculating (too low) my GPA (pre-computer days) Absence excuses were denied.
I'm one of the easiest people to get along with and probably the smartest in the school by far. I was quiet and shy science/math geek type, so I thought it was just that I was wrong in some way. Maybe my looks.
Only my Chemistry teacher seemed to like me, and she was new to the school.
In elementary and junior high, I was well liked.

What happened?
It turns out that there was also a kid in high school with the exact same name who was a juvenile deliquent. An actual car-thief with arrests, constant fighting, and who knows what else. Apparently the teacher rumor network identified me with that person. Several times I got called into the principals office to be interrogated. The "You know what I'm talking about" kind of thing.

I found out what was going on in the 12th grade, but there was no way to fix it.
Needless to say, my grades suffered some, but not as much as my attitude
I found out when I applied for a job and the application had high school GPA on it, and the boss noticed that the transcript from the school was lower. They had written it wrong again.

I went back to the school and made them re-calculate it in front of me. The "mistake" cost me a county-wide award. Oh well, they said.

BTW, when the school was forced to integrate after I graduated, the teachers that treated me the worst quit rather than teach blacks. That's what kind of people they were.

And yeah, later I became a teacher.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,811,500 times
Either witnessing or experiencing firsthand the abusive treatment of people who should NEVER have become teachers. And I say that as someone who, if I were a teacher, would run a tight ship and would hold students to very high standards.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:40 AM

12,682 posts, read 8,909,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Either witnessing or experiencing firsthand the abusive treatment of people who should NEVER have become teachers. And I say that as someone who, if I were a teacher, would run a tight ship and would hold students to very high standards.

There are times I wonder if this experience is why so many parents today distrust or are even anti teacher, esp when it comes to discipline for their children. Looking back on my time, there were a few teachers who were incompetent terrors in class. Yet the parents constantly believed Mrs X or Y was the greatest teacher because she was a strong disciplinarian (IE willing and eager to beat the crap out of the boys). My parents, like others of the time, implicitly trusted teachers even when I knew the teacher was lying. Looking back from the vantage point of years of maturity, two children (one in college, one high school), I can only confirm that my opinions of these teachers was RIGHT. They were abusive. They would lie to parents. The actually taught little. Yet these were the ones most supported by the administration. On the other hand, several teachers that all the students thought were very good (and I truly mean good, not easy) were dismissed by the administration because they didn't fit into the school culture.

Even though they were only a handful out of all the teachers I had, with many good ones, they also colored my view to distrust the teachers perspective until I had all the facts from all sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education