U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 AM

655 posts, read 2,563,542 times

Advertisements

I took Russian in the military, and while it was harder at first to learn the Russian alphabet, I didn't find it nearly as hard as some languages like Japanese, where the verb is at the end of the sentence.

I think it's much easier to learn 2 vastly different languages like Russian and Spanish, than 2 similar languages like Spanish and Italian.

THat being said, a boring class is not a way to learn a language. It might be okay at first, but I would go with an online program where you can learn at your own speed.

My library offers an online program called Mango languages, which my MIL used for Spanish. They offer several languages including Russian.

I still use Russian a lot in my work at a hospital. The key is to learning a language is to find people who only speak the langauge. I also did some volunteer work with recently arrived Russian immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 06:11 PM

161 posts, read 154,053 times
Has anyone ever tried to master French? Seriously, folks.

There is this false idea that circulates heavily around the world: the more a language is exotic, the more it is difficult.

I have found aspects of Russian to be refreshingly simple; but there are a few aspects that are painstakingly difficult.

Comparing languages in a general sense if a big no-no. However, comparing aspects between two different languages is legitimate, provided you can support your ideas.

Learning a foreign language well depends on many factors:

1) Similarity of foreign language to your native tongue

2) Your motivation/effort

3) Your natural ability for picking up languages/imitating accents

4) Cultural distance between your mother tongue and the new foreign language

Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,576,065 times
A small sample:

a black cat = чёрный кот
(I speak to the) black cat = с чёрным котом
(I think about a) black cat = о чёрном коте
(I give to the) black cat = чёрному коту
(I cannot live without a) black cat = чёрного кота

to drive = ехать
(I) drove = ездил
(I) have driven = съездил
(I) will drive = поеду

(I) like (this book) = нравится
(I) liked (this book) = понравилась
(This book that I) like = нравящяяся
(This book that I) have liked = понравившаяся
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or