Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times

Advertisements

Sex Ed should be just about that: sex. Not abstinence. Whether people are abstinent or not is none of their business. I honestly think it should be taught by parents though. A study showed that pretty much all public schools make claims which are false, but the government tells them to state them as facts. For example, condoms DO protect against AIDS, although a Sex Ed teacher won't tell you so. If you looked at the reasearch done by private institutes and the claims made by government funded institutions, you'd be surprised at how different they are. I don't see any problem with Sex Ed, but the government will always push the schools to go beyond that. Not to mention, I heard there are some schools that are making kids sign papers saying they will be celibate until they are married. That is wrong, whether you think people should wait until marriage or not.

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same daughter recently told me about the HPV vacination. She believed it vacinated against all STDs. <sigh>
And this is where you as the parent come into the picture. To fill out the empty spots, and to clear up any misconceptions that the child was too shy to ask about in class. Also, to pass on whatever moral stances on the issue that you have, because that can only be taught at home by the parental figure.

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
They need to make a film showing the REALITY of a teen mom having to miss fun events in her life due to having a baby, what she goes through trying to collect welfare, and how sad the lines look at the Child Support office. They need to show the hesitation of future young men to take on their child from another guy. They need to show what older kids go through having to live on assistance and clinic health care because their mom doesn't have the education needed to get a higher paying job that can provide for them.

Maybe I should contact PBS.............
Or perhaps, lock the doors and force all kids to sit through a film of a baby having a 2 hour crying jag followed by another of a toddler having a tantrum from hell-o.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When my daughter was a Freshman in highschool, the Health Ed teacher put a condom over her head to demonstrate that this form of protection is adequate. She and her friends still talk about this, 6 years later.

Same daughter recently told me about the HPV vacination. She believed it vacinated against all STDs. <sigh>
She fit her whole head in a condom, wow that is impressive, or disturbing, one or the other!

I think they should talk about the pros and cons of the HPV vaccine with girl in sex ed, there are a lot of conflicting opinions about it. I know if I had a teen daughter, I would never let her get it based on the information I have gotten from my OBGYN and good friend who is a nurse.
The example you give about your daughter is another reason why I worry about it, many teens might get the wrong impression that it protects them against things that it does not.
These are all things that could be covered in a good health class.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
They need to make a film showing the REALITY of a teen mom having to miss fun events in her life due to having a baby, what she goes through trying to collect welfare, and how sad the lines look at the Child Support office. They need to show the hesitation of future young men to take on their child from another guy. They need to show what older kids go through having to live on assistance and clinic health care because their mom doesn't have the education needed to get a higher paying job that can provide for them.

Maybe I should contact PBS.............
I'm from the younger generation, and I will tell you right now such propaganda does not work. Some schools already do that. Along with videos with people who caught STD's. It has been proven that they do not work. Not only that, but they always make exaggerated claims, which makes young people just laugh at it. Minors are smarter than many think. Why do you think nobody believes those government funded drug commercials? People regardless of age know BS when they see it.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I'm from the younger generation, and I will tell you right now such propaganda does not work. Some schools already do that. Along with videos with people who caught STD's. It has been proven that they do not work. Not only that, but they always make exaggerated claims, which makes young people just laugh at it. Minors are smarter than many think. Why do you think nobody believes those government funded drug commercials? People regardless of age know BS when they see it.
Agreed, teenagers think they are invincible, especially when it comes to STD's. But, if we reach at least one with our lessons and education, then it is worth it in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 191,327 times
I grew up in a small town and our sex ed in school was pretty much about abstinence. They talked about birth control but it was more about the failure rates and the risks of STDs and AIDS. There was also a lot of talk about reputation and honoring and taking care of yourself.

The problem is that sex feels a lot better than abstinence, and we are hard-wired to want to have sex.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Agreed, teenagers think they are invincible, especially when it comes to STD's. But, if we reach at least one with our lessons and education, then it is worth it in my opinion.
No, not invincible. They just don't believe the claims made in classes. Quite frankly, I don't either. When you have government funded education, you will get propaganda with exaggerated claims. Any private research institution will tell you that what they teach about STD's in public schools is false. Your chances of catching AIDS while wearing a condom is 1 out of 500, yet they say AIDS eats through any and every condom. That is bogus.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
No, not invincible. They just don't believe the claims made in classes. Quite frankly, I don't either. When you have government funded education, you will get propaganda with exaggerated claims. Any private research institution will tell you that what they teach about STD's in public schools is false. Your chances of catching AIDS while wearing a condom is 1 out of 500, yet they say AIDS eats through any and every condom. That is bogus.
I have worked in several high schools and have say through a lot of sex ed classes and I have NEVER heard anyone say that HIV (which is actually the virus that would be the issue here, which eventually might turn into AIDS) eats through any and every condom. I am not sure what sex education curriculum you are talking about or what kind of non-knowledgeable people are teaching it but condoms do protect, something like 99% of the time, and if they are teaching anything other, they are wrong. Perhaps they are wanting to use a scare tactic? Although, if I were that principal, I would be finding another sex ed teacher soon as scare tactics presented as false information is just not right.

I also know A LOT of teenagers who do think they are invincible, absolutely. They think they are not going to get STD's, they are not going to get into a drunk driving accident, etc. It often takes something really awful to get them to realize they are at risk.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
I really liked our sex education class when I was in the 7th grade.

But then the teacher caught us and locked the storage room so we couldn't sneak in there at recess.

We had to move the class to the bushes behind the baseball diamond.

But was still fun, and I learned a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education