Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 12:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,067 times

Advertisements

I don't think religious schools aside from those run by religious orders but if you are smart enough to get into Exeter, Andover, Groton, etc then it sure does matter. Just look at that brown stat. 10 percent of American kids go to private school yet brown let in almost 40 percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:17 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,028 times
I think it depends on where you live. I live in Nevada which has the worst public school system in the country, so private school is a necessity unless I want my children to end up pregnant and illiterate at 14. However I grew up in a wealthy suburb of Boston, so there was really no need for my own parents to pay for private because the public schools were of a high quality.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
A school being a private institution does not mean it's a quality place to enroll your kids. We tried 4 private schools before we found the correct fit. We live in a county with the best public schools in our state, so why didn't we save ourselves bags of money? We also live in one of the worst states in the USA for public schools, so what does it really mean to be the best? The best of mediocre isn't going to cut it when I have kids that need to be challenged. This is why we chose private. That being said, the 3 prior private schools would not have produced a satisfactory result.

My kids are about to graduate and there is no way they would have been prepared as they are for college coming out of our public schools.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 846 times
I am doing my graduation from an private autonomous university named IMTS ([url=http://www.imtsedu.com/]IMTS MBA Distance Education Learning Institute in india[/url]) is that such genuine ???

Old 01-27-2015, 07:19 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Contrary to myth, private schools are not better. They are designed to keep the so-called riff-raff out. Public schools have to take all comers, and they do a very good job of educating the 90 percent of the student population that uses them. This despite tons of propaganda by interests who want loot public coffers for private gain.
Exactly! I'll add that private schools pay teachers much less than public schools. So contrary to popular opinion, public schools have better teachers. The only reason a teacher would work in a private school for thousands of dollars less is that usually discipline is not a problem at private schools and teachers don't have to have good classroom management techniques. Plus, private schools do not require teachers to be certified, public schools do. So again, public school teachers are generally better.

The so-called riff-raff quote above is spot on. The rich don't want their little darlings associating with the common folks. Also, religion plays a roll.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
It really does depend on the school.

Some privates have top notch faculty and some publics have horrible teachers, and vice-versa.

Some privates pay their faculty more than the local publics and some pay them less.

There are private schools that charge an arm and a leg for mediocre academics and I know of at least one private school that is free with excellent academics.

There are privates that will accept anybody and there are privates that are extremely selective. There are also publics that you have to test into.

It really all depends on the school.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 01-27-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 12,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
What are the main differences? Do good colleges look at all students or look at the private school student first?
The main difference is the other kids in the school. A private school will have kids from more well-to-do or educated families who are more ready to learn. This sets the tone for everything that goes on in the school.

While many private schools basically have the same curriculum as public schools, some private schools follow a special curriculum that's very different. Democratic schools, Montessori, etc.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama7 View Post
What are the main differences? Do good colleges look at all students or look at the private school student first?
Noone cares. In fact superior performance and community involvment in a poor district/more difficult upbringing means more than the same performance in a great one.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Exactly! I'll add that private schools pay teachers much less than public schools. So contrary to popular opinion, public schools have better teachers. The only reason a teacher would work in a private school for thousands of dollars less is that usually discipline is not a problem at private schools and teachers don't have to have good classroom management techniques. Plus, private schools do not require teachers to be certified, public schools do. So again, public school teachers are generally better.

The so-called riff-raff quote above is spot on. The rich don't want their little darlings associating with the common folks. Also, religion plays a roll.
Riff-raff like this 9th grader? What a shame the teacher didn't want to defend himself for fear of losing his public school job.

Paterson student arrested, charged with assault after caught-on-camera attack on teacher | 7online.com

Your opinion is what it is and I respect your opinion but it's obviously based on having zero clue when it comes to the teachers who choose to teach at a private school. Private school teachers don't have to have "good classroom management techniques"? What makes you think that?

You are correct, private school teachers don't necessarily have to have a certificate to teach. Neither do college level teachers/professors. What they overwhelming tend to have are advanced degrees (a masters, a PhD) in the subject they do teach.

I tend to believe private school teachers when they say they are in it "for the kids". Certainly isn't for union protection or the salary or to avoid parents who have VERY high expectations from them and mostly due to the fact the parents are paying $20-$40k+ per child, per year.

Last edited by Informed Info; 01-28-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
It depends a lot on the public and private schools in your area. The one difference that's pretty much a constant is that private schools have much smaller class sizes, so there's more individual attention to each student, and there's better discipline. Private schools also tend to emphasize grammar and good writing skills.

Good public schools will have a lot more choices of classes to take/subject matter, generally offer more foreign languages, a decent music curriculum, etc. Small private schools often don't have the funds to offer much more than a very narrow college-preparatory curriculum with few electives. Private schools can range in educational approach from very conventional to alternative with a lot of hands-on learning. Some public school districts include an alternative school.

Contrary to a statement someone else posted, religion plays no role in private schools, except for the Catholic schools or other denominational schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education