Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/mo...an-region&_r=0

This is the problem with homeschooling that is not supervised by the State. It gives parents the opportunity to deny their children access to education (if the children are not required to meet certain academic achievement goals on a regular basis), and to even deny them access to the world. School is where a child can tell someone that they are being abused in the home.
Don't blame homeschooling! The mother doesn't homeschool them. They watch movies all day the article said. Their father is nuts and that's the problem. Total looney control freak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 PM

159 posts, read 200,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/mo...an-region&_r=0
School is where a child can tell someone that they are being abused in the home.
School is also a place where many, many children are abused and emotionally broken. School is where many kids learn from their teachers that they are "stupid" and from their peers that they are any number of other terrible things.

There are crazy people out there. Period. This piece has nothing to do with homeschooling.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
Homeschooling in this case is irrelevant. I've known wonderful homeschooled families.. the kids are all well adjusted, outgoing, involved in the community, they take sports/ballet and even volunteer with their church (they're religious). Smart kids!

Simply because some idiots in that article kept their children locked up has nothing to do with homeschooling in general. It's an issue of abuse, not an issue of homeschool.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Don't blame homeschooling! The mother doesn't homeschool them. They watch movies all day the article said. Their father is nuts and that's the problem. Total looney control freak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group Hug View Post
School is also a place where many, many children are abused and emotionally broken. School is where many kids learn from their teachers that they are "stupid" and from their peers that they are any number of other terrible things.

There are crazy people out there. Period. This piece has nothing to do with homeschooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Homeschooling in this case is irrelevant. I've known wonderful homeschooled families.. the kids are all well adjusted, outgoing, involved in the community, they take sports/ballet and even volunteer with their church (they're religious). Smart kids!

Simply because some idiots in that article kept their children locked up has nothing to do with homeschooling in general. It's an issue of abuse, not an issue of homeschool.
I don't have an issue with homeschooling in general but the familiy in this case IS an example of one of the problems created by or exasperated by homeschooling - just like bullying and occasional crappy teachers are problems created or exasperated by brick-and-mortar schools. The lack of oversight of homeschooled children can (keep in mind that is not the same word as will) allow parents to neglect or abuse their children with greater impunity. The real question is - how do you address the need to provide a safety net to the small minority (note that word) of children who are endangered by the isolation inherent to homeschooling without unduly hampering the majority of families, who are merely excerising their rights to educate their children as they see fit? Denying a problem exists doesn't make it go away and it makes whoever you are trying to convince dismiss any legitimate points you might have since you have lost your credibility.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:45 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Yes, child abuse is a problem.

Does the oversight of traditional schools prevent child abuse? If yes, then you have a great point. If no, then you don't. It's that simple.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is this stuff true?
Yes, yes, & yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
This is simply rationalizing why homeschooling WORKS for those involved in it. I quoted where the OP said there's a problem with home schooling. I don't see a problem based on the data.

I would venture to guess that if more parents could put themselves in the position/copy what other homeschooling parents are able to do - more kids would get a better education.

Who, why, how, it works is irrelevant until we see an actual problem.
Ah, well homeschooling is under attack here, because of some idiot.....
Lets compare the numbers of abused kids in public schools to abused kids in homeschools....

Too bad we can't realistically.
But at least at home the teachers can't be abusing the kids (as I endured as a kid)
99.9% of homeschooling parents probably aren't abusing their kids...
So blowing this story out of proportion is a joke.

The bolded in the second quote--

How many actual problems are there in public schools, anyways....
Countless.

I homeschooled, extremely successfully....
The kids my kids grew up with that stayed in the public schools-
I really feel sorry for.
They're amazing kids- extremely smart, innovative kids-
but they were kept at a level of mediocrity that my kids will never know.

Last edited by believe007; 01-27-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, child abuse is a problem.

Does the oversight of traditional schools prevent child abuse? If yes, then you have a great point. If no, then you don't. It's that simple.
Schools remain the number one reporters of child abuse. Mandated reporters are who reports over 79% of all substantiated cases. While schools may not prevent child abuse in the first place, it is the main place that helps put a stop to subsequent events. So, yes, traditional school oversight helps prevent child abuse.

This is one state's latest report. There might be some variance from state to state but the trends are pretty much the same across the boards. I know in my home state, schools reported more substantiated child abuse incidents than any other channel. There is a reason in the 70's that there was a push to make schools mandated reporters.

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/cs/groups...t/c_086251.pdf

Old 01-27-2015, 02:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
But it's not 1950-60-70 something any longer.
Try the 1990s.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:03 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Schools picking up on cases of abuse doesn't really matter if what they find is offset by the abuse they allow for (workers abusing children, physical and psychological damage from bullying, etc). Heck, one could even argue that sending a child to a bad under performing school is a form of abuse (if parents have the option to do better via homeschooling). Considering all the bad schools - that's a lot of abuse.

This is all irrelevant though unless you can prove there's a child abuse epidemic within the homeschooling community.

BTW - I could see just as many child abusers going into teaching to be around kids as there are child abusers that use home schooling as a way to abuse.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:47 PM

464 posts, read 451,540 times
I don't know about you guys, but the public school system around here is so awful homeschooling or private schools are the only options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education