U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:03 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,979,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The school DOES NOT have a rule about bare shoulders. They do have a rule that dress straps must be at least two inches wide.

The straps on that dress are at least two inches wide.

I think some snobby girl whose parent is the principal or some other school administrator was PO'd because this girl looked better than her!

LOL

That dress has CLASS written all over it. Beautiful!
Did they just change the dress code after the media report then? The story links to the dress code which includes the following:

7. All tops, (shirts, blouses, dresses, P.E. attire), must have sleeves that cover the shoulders and
underarms. Wide straps do not constitute sleeves.

Dress Code

ETA: It looks like it depends on if the school considers it to be a formal. When I was in high school, only one of the many school dances was considered as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:55 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,903,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Ok, I'm not in high school or around high schoolers, but other than the top waistband of their underwear brand, what exactly are boys wearing (or not) these days which is exposing their manhood? The underwear waistband, while inappropriate doesn't actually expose anything. FYI - I don't consider "backal" cleavage to be their manhood, so what the heck are they wearing?
A lot of boys want to fasten their belt so that the waistband of their pants rides below their buttocks. When they wear knit boxer briefs, it shows the outline of their manhood. Most of the boys wear their pants so that 4-6 inches of their underwear shows. It is a constant battle. Their anal fissures are most evident.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:13 PM

27,164 posts, read 14,993,638 times
It's a beautiful dress and modest by any standard I can think of. Perhaps Utah would prefer she wear a burka.

If I were her, I'd hightail it outta there as soon as I could.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 PM

15,282 posts, read 16,810,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Raines View Post
I fail to see the issue where she was asked to cover up. If the school has rules that says no bare shoulders allowed, they would be failing to abide the rules if they say nothing.

I guess if you want to fight something, that may be the rule, but the appropriate enforcement of a known rule should never the questioned. Why would we have laws and rules then?
The rule did not say no bare shoulders. It said that the straps had to be 2 inches wide or more. These straps were ok according to the mom.

Lone Peak sparks controversy after asking girl to wear coat over dress at dance - KUTV -

Quote:
A total of 4 out of 1200 students were told to cover their shoulders. Rhonda Bromley the principal of Lone Peak says students are well aware of the dress code for formal events that includes:
“Formals, backless dresses and/or tops may not extend beyond the bottom of the shoulder blades. Girls’ dresses and tops must have a 2″ minimum strap on each shoulder. Shawls, boleros and other shrugs are acceptable if worn over the dress at all times. Cleavage covered.”

Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM

240 posts, read 196,677 times
The dress is beautiful, but the school had a dress code in place. I don't necessarily agree with the dress code, but that's a moot point. The student knew (or should have known) about the dress code. The student violated the dress code by wearing the dress. Why is the school the bad guy here?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:18 PM

15,819 posts, read 18,409,596 times
Lovely dress. Keep it, you'll wear it again.

I think it must be a school with certain dress code and religious modesty.
Find a dress that covers your shoulders....

But again.....Excellent choice for a timeless dress.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:42 AM

682 posts, read 473,965 times
It's a beautiful dress. She looks beautiful and yes, by today's standards the dress is quite modest. However, the shoulder strap width wasn't the issue according to the school. The dress has a deep scoop back exposing (heaven forbid) her shoulder blades. This was the dress code violation.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:28 AM

13,092 posts, read 7,364,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not surprising since Satan invented the shoulder to entice rapacious men.
Since it appears the dress conformed to the dress code, the girl could have just said, "No, I don't have a cover up. And I don't need one. But thank you for your nosiness." And I'm skeptical that the girl felt embarrassed. People make stupid comments all the time. You ignore them and move on. And even if the lady was right about the dress not conforming to the dress code, she probably could have ignored her anyway, since the dress was still very modest.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:02 AM

11,613 posts, read 19,692,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
She looks cute, and the dress is pretty, but rules are rules.
You know this phrase bothers me a bit. Just because someone makes a rule that does not mean people should just follow it like lemmings. Rules must protect the rights of people with minority opinions. The majority doesn't rule just because it's the majority. In an ultra conservative community people with ultra conservative views on women's arms don't get to set the standard for absolutely everyone in the community.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:04 AM

11,613 posts, read 19,692,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
The dress is gorgeous, but living in Utah the girl should have known to throw a shawl or bolero over it to cover her shoulders.
She should not have to bow to other people's religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or