U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM

19,813 posts, read 24,301,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I will bow to your wisdom because what I've posted about the subject is just what I've been told. I wish I had more information. And a vet is the one who told me about they dogs' eyes. *shrug* Some vets are obviously better than others.

I've had a couple of dogs with cataracts, so I know what you are describing.

Cataracts in animals are the same as those in people. Human cataracts are now treated by removing the lens and replacing it with an artificial one, which is placed inside the eye where the defective lens was.

Now I will take myself to a hot bath, which I will enjoy while I read a book and sip a glass of wine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
944 posts, read 786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This is partially a rant, but also an honest question. How do you get people to learn to help themselves?

There are many discussions here on CD about what makes people smart or dumb; successful or failures. Usually people try to relate this question to the all encompassing CD catch alls of "liberal or conservative", the equally condescending "rich or poor", and who can forget the other CD favorite "Black or White." I think it crosses all these classes and comes down to one thing. Those who read vs. those who do not.

As a person in the community who is known to be a computer professional, I get calls from friends (and friends of friends) who ask for help solving some problem on their computer. Most of the time it should be a simple 5 minute Q&A and they should be on their way. For Example, trying to get someone to do a print screen, paste it to paint, and send it to me. More and more, I find that it takes hours for me to explain these simple things because they don't know what "print screen means", they don't know how to paste into a document, and they don't know how to save to another folder - or find the saved file from the mail attachment dialog. I usually have to give in and go fix the problem for them, or send them to the local geek squad if they are located too far away.

I tell most of these folks that the problems they are having are happening because they do not know how to use their computer and that they need to take time to learn them better. I suggest that they go get a copy of "Windows for Dummies" or the "Idiots guide to Window." (This really extends to almost any subject and not just computers.) "Read the book, and if there is anything you don't understand call me and I will explain it to you."

I tell them that they would be able to solve their problems on their own - or that it would just take a few minutes on the phone for me to explain things if they would just learn the basics -- if they just get and read these books. But A few months later, they will call again with the same or a similar problem. When I ask them if they got a copy of the book I suggested, "what book" is usually the answer. This will repeat over and over until either they get frustrated with me telling them to read, or I tell them "Sorry, I can't help you with that."

I find this to be the same for many of my friends and it does not really matter what their background is. And it really doesn't matter if we are talking about computers, cars, home repair, woodworking, or gardening.

What is it that makes it so difficult or undesirable for people to get a book and read. I know that many people would rather just ask someone else to fix their problems for them, but how do we get more Americans to just read?
  • Do we need a PSA, that says "Most of the solutions to your problems are in a book?"
  • Instead of just teaching reading and math, should we have kids spend a lot of time in a class devoted simply to RESEARCH?

How do you get people to read?
I agree, it is quite annoying, but I can and do read and computer workings is one of the most difficult to 'get' on your own (at least for us 50+ers). I am 100% self-taught and can do pretty much anything but Photoshop and that is only because I am not THAT interested in doing/paying for it. I will say, upfront, I will NOT pay any of my hard earned $$ for a book that designated me as a DUMMY or an IDIOT, just like I will not buy clothing from a store with the name BARN. I just won't!
As a career RN, I get enough people asking me for medical advice (which they, too, could google or read about) that I feel if someone I know or need help from has a 'specialty' they are proficient in, I can ask them a question I have. Back in the early 90s I signed up, at the Community College for a 'Basic Computer Course'...I wanted to learn how to use a PC and be ready to return to Nursing school with computer savvy. Well, let me tell you that after the first day, I knew my mistake, and after the first week I dropped the class, as it was about learning the computer codes for Basic, not any way, shape, form what I was wanting. It's funny now and luckily for me, the kids in the class were nice to me and not mean...most were more than helpful, but the class was 360 degrees off of my intended class needs.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:08 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
...I will NOT pay any of my hard earned $$ for a book that designated me as a DUMMY or an IDIOT, just like I will not buy clothing from a store with the name BARN. I just won't! ...
I do understand why you feel this way (when a stranger asks me for advice by coming to me saying "I need some help from one of you computer nerds", I usually just ignore them. If they don't have the sense enough to ask without insulting me, then they probably don't have sense enough to use what I can tell them.)

And I think the publishers are mad to insult their potential customers with the titles of their books.

BUT, I also think you are making a mistake not availing yourself of what is normally very useful and helpful information for the sake of pride.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 1,885,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I've had a couple of dogs with cataracts, so I know what you are describing.

Cataracts in animals are the same as those in people. Human cataracts are now treated by removing the lens and replacing it with an artificial one, which is placed inside the eye where the defective lens was.

Now I will take myself to a hot bath, which I will enjoy while I read a book and sip a glass of wine!
Enjoy! Last time I did that I dropped the &*^% book in the tub and had to pay the library $25.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 4,988,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I do understand why you feel this way (when a stranger asks me for advice by coming to me saying "I need some help from one of you computer nerds", I usually just ignore them. If they don't have the sense enough to ask without insulting me, then they probably don't have sense enough to use what I can tell them.)

And I think the publishers are mad to insult their potential customers with the titles of their books.

BUT, I also think you are making a mistake not availing yourself of what is normally very useful and helpful information for the sake of pride.
I wouldnt give any info either (not that i actually have any to give on the subject). All that does is imply that youre okay with being insulted (which most ppl, especially older, are not).

Old 02-24-2015, 12:07 AM

165 posts, read 117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In my case, because of laziness. I wish I was a better reader. It usually takes me months to finish a book, not because I read slowly, just that I'd put the those that I bought/borrowed on my table for a whole month or two before I open it, and that has to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
I'm not gonna sit down and read a thick book. There's nothing in the world that interests me enough to sit down for long periods of time and read endless pages about it.

I'll read long news articles that get my attention but that's about it. I physically can't sit still for long enough to read an entire book. I've tried audio books as well, but it's the same thing.

People say I have ADHD, which may be the case, but I don't personally feel at a disadvantage simply because I can't read books.
I agree with the above so much.

Honestly from the time I clicked on this thread (around 11:30 AM EST 2/23) to now (2:08 AM EST 2/24) it has taken me virtually all day to get through all 12 pages. For me it's due to my very short attention span and wanting to absorb all the information I can in just a few minutes but since that is not physically possible I just abandon the little I have read to go on and read something else. I have had the same 15 reloaded tabs of blog posts and articles open on firefox for the past four months (after my pc crashed and I lost the original 15-20 other reloaded tabs).

I really wish I had the desire to read (anything and everything) simply for the sake of, but my pseudo-ADHD won't allow me. It's more than about reading what interests me (roller coasters, new-aged urban design, transportation, conspiracy theories, etc.), I just can't give myself the undivided attention long enough to read something because I get distracted and start thinking about the other million things pinging through my head.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,005,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I agree, it is quite annoying, but I can and do read and computer workings is one of the most difficult to 'get' on your own (at least for us 50+ers). I am 100% self-taught and can do pretty much anything but Photoshop and that is only because I am not THAT interested in doing/paying for it. I will say, upfront, I will NOT pay any of my hard earned $$ for a book that designated me as a DUMMY or an IDIOT, just like I will not buy clothing from a store with the name BARN. I just won't! .
That's silly...

My mom is a 100% self-taught 67 yr old grandmother of 4 who does graphic design, and therefore knows programs like Bryce, Corel, PhotoShop etc inside and out. She is often asked to be a beta tester.
She can tear down her computers, both physically and within the system, and then repair and replace as needed.

She has owned a multitude of ...For Dummies books, as well as countless other books and manuals. Her shelves literally groan lol
They're usually very well written and unlike other manuals, don't assume you know more than you do.

My father, on the other hand, doesn't care. As he puts it, he sleeps with tech support, so why should he have to know this stuff?

I tend to think that's the bigger issue; if people are genuinely interested, they'll educate themselves. But if not, it's just easier to ask someone else.
I can't stand having to wait on someone else's schedule, though, so I tend to be a self-teacher, too. Start online at message boards specifically for enthusiasts, and you'll have a jumping off point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or