Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskedaddle View Post
English is a really difficult language to learn. I wish it couldn't be the language of world.. Maybe spanish could be pretty good Most of all, English's vocabulary so huge. Some people speak of over one million words, boo! Of course, all of these words is not used by people. But yet this situation is a big problem for english learners. Another problem is the combination of the sentences Really, I must study so hard if you pay attention I haven't questioned the everybody or every body (no problem doesn't matter)
If you find English really difficult, rest assured there are many more difficult ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 11:32 AM

103 posts, read 100,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If you find English really difficult, rest assured there are many more difficult ones.
There are more difficult ones than english of course, such as chinese,japanese,arabic or turkish

Old 02-05-2015, 11:39 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I don't use my best grammar all the time anymore, though, especially when just conversing or posting on forums, because it makes me sound like I belong somewhere way back in time.
That is SO sad!!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
my English is great but I don't waste my time showing it off on these forums. alot of ppl give me crap about here actin like they all better than me but idgaf. i don't got no time to care what ppl think of me based on how i post on a forum.
Now see, I see this type of writing as totally different than when I find people who are typing and are spelling most of their words correctly and using proper grammar, etc., and then the word loose gets thrown in as a verb, or they say, "I'm better then that." Stuff like that.

The above, which is more text-speak, doesn't really bother me, because I know it was "invented" for texting and/or younger kids who want to talk in LOLCAT or whatever that's called.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
English is not my first language, and it has been somewhat challenging, especially as a manager for a very large corporation. My first hire was an English major to ensure my business correspondence was perfect. I wish that I had her now.

Last edited by txfriend; 02-05-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
English is not my first language, and it has been somewhat challenging, especially as a manager for a very large corporation. My first hire was an English major to insure my business correspondence was perfect. I which that I had her now.
*ensure, *wish

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would love to have that job, it would be so fun.

I'm not mad at ESL people, I'm mad at the Americans who grew up here who refuse to use then/than correctly, spell lose/loose correctly, you're/your, etc.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
*ensure, *wish

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would love to have that job, it would be so fun.

I'm not mad at ESL people, I'm mad at the Americans who grew up here who refuse to use then/than correctly, spell lose/loose correctly, you're/your, etc.
Ha, thank you.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Whether you are ranting or not, you're way off topic. As for my English, I care very much about my spelling and grammar usage, even when texting, and do my best to minimize errors. However, when I write, mistakes slip by me sometimes. My most irritating English problem is the awful hick Texas accent I've developed from living here most of my life. I don't know how to get rid of it. It makes me sound ignorant, and I'm not.
I got rid of my hick Oklahoma accent by practicing with a tape recorder many years ago.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This is the Education forum not P&OC! We do tend to care about these things.
lol, u wot m8?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:06 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
English is a great but also an odd language. I think the idea of having a spelling bee for most languages would be a strange idea since most other languages are much more phonetic than ours. Actually, what other language is less phonetic than ours? First good answer gets my rep (I know that is very motivating ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education