Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:51 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,838,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Why do people generalize the GED to dropouts? You do know that people facing special circumstances in their home countries who can't prove citizenship, high school graduation, college attendance, etc., have to take it, too, right? I for one am not happy with it, because it's nearly impossible for my adult learners to pass. They need their GEDs; they need their U.S. citizenship, and they need their college degrees!
I know teen moms who graduated on time.
Something is not right about your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,561,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
I know teen moms who graduated on time.
Something is not right about your story.

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about unless these teen moms were displaced from their countries.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:49 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,838,771 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about unless these teen moms were displaced from their countries.
I was edit that post until my phone died .
Most people who take the GED are high school dropouts.
The problem with the GED is that you are cramping four years worth of material in a test and they harder each time so people will stay in high school.
I don't how people come into the U.S. without providing where they came from.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,289,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
According to a recent story here in this alternative Cleveland paper, which seems well-reported, there has been an astonishing drop in the number of folks passing the high school equivalency test, the GED, since it was revamped in 2014 to align with the common core.

Were the changes in the GED test phased in too quickly? Is it just that the new test is aligned with more difficult subject matter? And doesn't it bode badly if a second-chance test is so difficult that most of the people fail it and may need several times to retake and pass, if they pass at all? Does this basically just close off another avenue for late-bloomers, drop-outs, prisoners, and immigrants to climb the educational --or occupational--ladder?

Be interested to know what others think of this happening.

"... that is precisely the problem with the current test. If the previous version didn't serve the college-driven population well, the current version doesn't serve the job-driven population at all.

But the real problem is that we use the same assessment for a job parking cars as we do for getting into college with the current GED," Humphries says. "Those are completely different tasks and different questions we should be using. But we use the same test for both."
Personally I can embrace the theory and concept of No Child Left Behind and Common Core State Standards, however, and unfortunately I suspect there is far more to it and behind it than meets the eye; and that's the behind the scenes agenda that I'm really interested in. As it seems everything the government involves themselves in lacks any transparency whatsoever.

The coming Common Core meltdown The coming Common Core meltdown - The Washington Post

Quote:
We’re talking about implementing new national standards and tests for every school and district in the country in the wake of dramatic changes in the national and state context for education reform. These changes include:

•A 10-year experiment in the use of federally mandated standards and tests called No Child Left Behind (NCLB) that has been almost universally acknowledged as a failure.

Common Core-Aligned GED Test Losing Edge to Competition by Dr. Susan Berry 4 Apr 2015 New Common Core-Aligned GED Test Losing Edge to Competition - Breitbart

Quote:
The GED was originally developed for returning World War II veterans who dropped out of high school and wanted to go to college using new benefits available to them under the GI Bill.

As The Wall Street Journal indicates, the new GED was created after the nonprofit American Council on Education, the test’s owner, joined with Common Core publishing giant Pearson PLC in 2011 to help fund a $40-$50 million overhaul to align it with the new standards adopted by 46 states.

Georgetown economist Anthony Carnevale said, “They built a Cadillac, and everyone wants a Chevy.”
Great topic for a thread citylove101, thanks for starting it.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-01-2015 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Please do not quote more than three sentences.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:40 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,378,650 times
They do this to prevent people from moving forward in life.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Why do people generalize the GED to dropouts? You do know that people facing special circumstances in their home countries who can't prove citizenship, high school graduation, college attendance, etc., have to take it, too, right? I for one am not happy with it, because it's nearly impossible for my adult learners to pass. They need their GEDs; they need their U.S. citizenship, and they need their college degrees!
Then they should study and learn the material. We shouldn't be handing out high school diplomas (or their equivalent), US citizenship, or college degrees like candy just because people "need" them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin
They do this to prevent people from moving forward in life.
Or, setting aside the assumption that they do it out of some purely evil disdain for other human beings... Maybe, just maybe, the test needs to actually be aligned with what people would learn in high school. Otherwise it's just a meaningless credential, and that puts everyone who takes it at a disadvantage.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Then they should study and learn the material. We shouldn't be handing out high school diplomas (or their equivalent), US citizenship, or college degrees like candy just because people "need" them.
Honestly, would you feel the same way about it if, for some catastrophic reason, you had to flee the country leaving record of everything you had, your U.S. citizenship, your college education, your high school graduation, etc. and wound up in some Asian country where you were expected to fully integrate yourself into their life? Wouldn't you want maybe a little sympathy and accommodation or would you be staunchly demanding to have to take all applicable tests in Chinese and letting fate land you wherever it would?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,016,203 times
Quote:
Honestly, would you feel the same way about it if, for some catastrophic reason, you had to flee the country leaving record of everything you had, your U.S. citizenship, your college education, your high school graduation, etc. and wound up in some Asian country where you were expected to fully integrate yourself into their life? Wouldn't you want maybe a little sympathy and accommodation or would you be staunchly demanding to have to take all applicable tests in Chinese and letting fate land you wherever it would?
Is it unreasonable to learn the language, study, and take the GED?

Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Is it unreasonable to learn the language, study, and take the GED?

Well, that's what I'm asking. I would say, "yes," because the displaced people need good jobs right now to be able to study English and succeed. Keep in mind, most of these people have already gone to college in their home countries; they've just lost their records. Also keep in mind that they are probably looking at vocational fields rather than liberal arts colleges; they need jobs where they can make decent salaries and focus on furthering their education to become integrated naturalized citizens.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,281,002 times
Quote:
Well, that's what I'm asking. I would say, "yes," because the displaced people need good jobs right now to be able to study English and succeed. Keep in mind, most of these people have already gone to college in their home countries; they've just lost their records. Also keep in mind that they are probably looking at vocational fields rather than liberal arts colleges; they need jobs where they can make decent salaries and focus on furthering their education to become integrated naturalized citizens.
Then why not help them get copies of their records.
Someone with a college degree not bothering to get their records and starting over with a GED ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education