U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM

299 posts, read 186,545 times

Advertisements

I loved reading, history and basic science. Deplored Math after about 5th grade.
For teaching, I found reading difficult until about 2nd grade; history and basic science fun. Still hated Math...except teaching my children to count using canned tuna, vegetables and soup! Now THAT was fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM

264 posts, read 263,400 times
Physical chemistry where I found the math exceeded my abilities.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Calculus hands down.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:26 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
For me: spelling. I preferred making it up as I went along and the teachers never seemed to appreciate my creativity.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-13-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM

185 posts, read 132,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
for me - Geography - really rubbish at it in school.
Understandable, but for me? I loved geography, hence I captured like 18 hours of geography classes in college. My favorite area of study is East Asia. That's where so much insane change is taking place. China and South Korea make the stuff that Americans buy. Its probably a good idea to be familiar with East Asia in the 21st Century. That part of the world is reorganizing the global power players.

My worst subject? Truth? I rarely had a difficult subject. My only exception is probably computer programming. I tried it. I was bored out of my wits! Math? I'm good at every course, but in the real world? I can't do math without an app for it, lol! That's because I don't ever do math without Microsoft Excel, or any calculator. Isn't that bad? I can't do programming yet, I'm reliant on computers. Oh, no! That's why Bill Gates is a billionaire. Umm, but I do also use open source programs like OpenOffice.org

In my experience, teaching methods can make or break the success or failure of transferring knowledge to the learner. My worst ever class was in philosophy. Yep, an easy subject, right? The professor was so out in wonderland that the class population dwindled from 50+ students to about 8 at the very end. The course focused on ancient western philosophy. It wasn't anything I hadn't read before. It involved a ton of Plato's work. By midterm, I was flabbergasted by the confusing exam questions that were irrelevant to the lecture and syllabus material. I would just wing it in this class. I pulled together coherent answers on the spot, lol. Surprisingly, I kept netting a high B+ on exams. I got a nearly perfect score on the final exam. Everyone still in this class up to the bitter end formed a support group. We were all confused. Our professor was in his own world. I think he was a genius at dabbling with logic or whatever, but had no idea how to teach. It was fascinating to see him deconstruct any theory's merits on a huge white board. I was impressed. He was a very nice professor. I wanted a tee shirt saying I survived this class.

Other than that, I don't see any class as difficult if it is organized in steps. I'm better at a natural science class like microbiology. Its sort of easy to me. Cause and effect. Put me in any literature or art history class? Oh no! Its subjective. Its the land of no right answers. For those classes, I would figure out the instructor's preferences to tailor every paper to that design structure. I just wanted the A+ :-) Pathetic, no? I was mesmerized when I took a 16th C. Italian art class. That's when I became obsessed with Bernini, his rival Borromini, and the incredible work of Caravaggio.

I've since learned that economics as it is taught from a textbook is rubbish. There's not a hint of real science in that game. In fact it is akin to Monopoly. The rules so discovered in economics stem from creative ideas made up by humans. If economics could forecast future monetary events, then we wouldn't have seen that last global financial downturn. Human psychology has much greater merit for understanding the world economy than economics.

Beyond all my blah blah, don't you think the difficulty or ease of a subject mostly depends on your level of interest? If you like some particular subject, its usually easier to master the material because you have the motivation to learn it.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:34 AM

6,549 posts, read 4,678,598 times
Physics and chemistry, and physical education(yes I hate sports).
In terms of what I'm studying right now I'm gonna go with jurisprudence(I HATE IT SO MUCH), civil procedure law(such a ****ed-up subject), and all sorts of business law(ew).

Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 20,544,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
For me it was Art. I was always terrible at art, my drawings still look like a ten year old drew them.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:38 AM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Math for the sake of math was the worst for me. Applied math was much easier.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Since the Education forum tends to stick with K-12, are we talking about K-12? If so then I would say my 9th grade typing class.

If we are to include college as well then I would say my 300-level math course on proof and conjecture. The course covered the basics of number theory, set theory, cardinality, group theory, some analysis, combinatorics, and so on, but with a twist. The course was heavy on theory but as the name suggests it was all about how to develop (logical) proofs, and, how to use proofs to prove existing proofs (for fun and giggles, I suppose), all using symbolic logic notation (re: hieroglyphs).

List of logic symbols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2015, 03:59 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,891,490 times
The toughest subject is rarely taught at home.....Discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education