U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:33 PM

1,350 posts, read 952,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Upper-level electrical engineering courses would make most people soil their pants just thinking about them. lol.
And then structural engineers want to pretend we can't understand skyscrapers. The Coliseum was designed without calculus. DUH!

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:26 AM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
And then structural engineers want to pretend we can't understand skyscrapers. The Coliseum was designed without calculus. DUH!

psik
Well, the Romans used a NEW building technique - standardized parts. Stairs and seats were constructed off-site. The stairs and seats were all built to the same size and were made to be interchangeable. They were made in workshops and then brought to the amphitheatre to be fitted by teams experienced in this work.

They also designed the building for crowd control. Roman architects devised an ingenious system of entrances, corridors, and staircases that allowed the crowds to enter and exit the Colosseum quickly and easily. There were 80 separate entrance arches.

It was also a death trap which modern engineers prefer to avoid.

Colosseum: Roman Death Trap Preview | NOVA | Watch | NJTV

Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 AM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Btw, Calculus is used to determine how much work a machine can do efficiently without breaking down and how much force a structure can tolerate in order to ensure public safety. It is also used in simulations which predict outcomes.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 PM

408 posts, read 447,080 times
English Literature was. by far, the hardest and most tedious subject in my high school career, which was pursued for all but my final year in the province of Ontario; it remained the only compulsory subject right up until graduation. My final year of high school was in the state of Montana where English was still compulsory, but we had the option to choose what type of English courses; I chose Grammar & Composition, and then Oral Interpretation and Creative Writing. Math, on the other hand, followed closely by Physics and Chemistry, were by far the easiest, as they were based for the most part on the principles of logic. I would like to add that I was fortunate enough to finish my final year of high school in Montana, a state with one of the highest standards in the US at the time, and to my knowledge, persists to this day.

Last edited by KingstonBob; 02-22-2015 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: add kudos to the state of Montana

Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
toughest subject is the one taught by someone who doesn't want to be teaching it.

There are A LOT of them in the 'public-school-ranks'.

Do the students a favor and STAY HOME!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,074,950 times
Math! If you're not wired for higher level math (trig+), then it's not going to happen.

I never really understood Art either because it's so abstract. Is this a still life or a real life? huh?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,324,688 times
Physics and Chemistry. I had to take Physics my freshman year instead of Biology like most schools. Very stupid to have what really is an upperclassmen level class as a freshman year class.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 641 times
As for me, the most awfull subject is English. I hated to write thous compositions and ESSAYs, so i found a website, where some authors did that for me. By the way, here is the link [url]https://essaycool.com/[/url]. Also, i think a great part in education plays teashers` attitude to you.
That company is completely plagiarism free! Being a custom writing service, they write papers from scratch. Their writers will strictly follow your instructions to create a perfect custom written assignment. College essay writing service picks up only qualified employees in order for you to have the best experience of dealing with us. Becoming a writer for their firm is very challenging. The ones who get accepted are the cream of the industry. And one shall for sure benefit by ordering his papers from the best scribes.
So if you tired of your pen, have completely no thoughts on the topic, Have to combine your job with studying or just your neighbor is having a party of the year but you have to sit and think over your course project, just make an order and stay calm.
This is the bets way to make deals, isn`t it?

Last edited by Thomas007; 04-20-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 AM

1,743 posts, read 899,048 times
Chemistry. I still don't know what a mole is.

Algebra, also, but I do well at normal math.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,319,028 times
Well any humanities class from a feminist perspective would be beyond my ability to comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education