U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 853 times

Advertisements

English is my favorite and easiest subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:31 PM

229 posts, read 215,517 times
English for me.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 12,942,359 times
I always found if you love a subject, it is easy, or maybe if it is easy, you love it. Ha.

I recently read the book "The Water is Wide" by Pat Conroy who taught black children on a Gullah Island. At the end of the year he didn't think that they had learned much. But I had noticed that they knew more about classical music than I ever, ever cared to learn. At the end of that year I would have still been asking "Who is Mozart?" They knew everything about classical music. Well, it is because they loved it. He should have put other subjects to music or explained to them why they were important. But it showed that they could learn; just that he couldn't teach them due to their lack of interest.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

1,646 posts, read 1,038,712 times
History and English, because I love to read and write, and Languages (actually got a Spanish minor in undergrad).

Old 04-08-2015, 10:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,975,137 times
English, because it's more subjective and less concrete than math and science.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 3,942,130 times
For me it was English... followed by psychology, sociology, and Social Studies.
Hated math and science.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:53 PM

17,047 posts, read 10,979,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The easiest subject is the one you enjoy the most. We're all wired differently.

For me, history was and will always be child's play. You can read fiction books all you want, what has actually happened in the world can't be duplicated even by the most inspired fiction writer.
Very true. I had no trouble learning to read and write, and history was always more story for me than dates and facts. Once I knew the story, the dates were easy to remember.

I always admired the kids who did math easily. I'm functional, but math was harder for me.

It's all about relationships. Math has its own language, and it's all the same language. It's also abstract. The relationships between one number and another never changes. One area of the brain handles math.

Spoken languages' relationships vary from language to language, and words can change their meanings. Several words can describe the same thing. Another area of the brain handles words.

Our eyes and ears also have their own vocabularies. Music is a language of its own. Written music is abstract, while music learned by ear is a completely different vocabulary. Different parts of the brain handle the different ways of learning music. Our ears' signals are filtered by our brains; we automatically concentrate on noises that may affect our survival. Once those filters are turned down, a learned skill, music becomes richer and more complicated.

We also have a visual language in all our eyes. Our eyes see everything, and our brains filter everything we see into items of importance in terms of survival. Once a person learns how to turn the filters down, very intricate relationships between form, color, depth and everything else becomes a language only the eyes understand and are largely unable to describe in words.

Most relationships come without thinking over time, because we all practice them so much from infancy to death. Others require practice, and others require conscious discipline. All of us are wired up very individually, just as you say, so very few of us are equally good at all things.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,788,829 times
English/writing.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:49 AM

2,728 posts, read 3,816,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
for me - Maths - one of the the only subjects i can do.
I wish I had that non-issue. For me the easiest was probably social studies or history. All A's for B's.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,843,409 times
The easiest to learn, history.
The easiest to teach, math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education