U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2015, 09:56 AM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,218,950 times
Reputation: 2365

Advertisements

A pattern I have noticed in Northeast Ohio schools/districts: Almost every single school/district* in this area has a history of starting off as being entirely white. Later, in some of these schools, at some point, concentrations of African-Americans began to enroll. In almost every situation, within 10-30 years, the school had become close to 100% African-American, even if the surrounding community was not.

So this has me wondering: Is this happening elsewhere in the country? If so, is it truly possible for schools and districts to have healthy integration over a long-term period without one race (oftentimes whites and/or Asians) fleeing when another (oftentimes African-Americans and/or Hispanics) enroll? Also, on a related note, do school choice policies like magnet schools, charter schools (which in Ohio tend to be overwhelmingly African-American) and vouchers help increase integration, or actually make segregation worse?




*In the low percentage of schools that have started off as being majority (usually entirely) African-American around, almost none have ever gone on to enroll significant numbers of white or Asian students.

 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 AM
 
492 posts, read 501,290 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
A pattern I have noticed in Northeast Ohio schools/districts: Almost every single school/district* in this area has a history of starting off as being entirely white. Later, in some of these schools, at some point, concentrations of African-Americans began to enroll. In almost every situation, within 10-30 years, the school had become close to 100% African-American, even if the surrounding community was not.

So this has me wondering: Is this happening elsewhere in the country? If so, is it truly possible for schools and districts to have healthy integration over a long-term period without one race (oftentimes whites and/or Asians) fleeing when another (oftentimes African-Americans and/or Hispanics) enroll? Also, on a related note, do school choice policies like magnet schools, charter schools (which in Ohio tend to be overwhelmingly African-American) and vouchers help increase integration, or actually make segregation worse?




*In the low percentage of schools that have started off as being majority (usually entirely) African-American around, almost none have ever gone on to enroll significant numbers of white or Asian students.
This phenomenon is known as White flight. It is due to White racism, and is aided and abetted by "investors" who buy up these properties and rent them, real estate agents who encourage White people to leave, redlining, blockbusting, ect. People make a lot of money off of scared folks.

Vouchers ect. enable people to subsidize private school for their children and further increase segregation.

Integrated schools are indeed possible, and will probably become more desirable. Remember, the US appeared mainly White due to discriminatory immigration practices. After the mid 1960's more people of color were allowed entry. Many of these people are far more studious than Americans (of any ethnicity) can ever hope to be. One child of immigrants from Africa in our neighborhood was just accepted to all Ivy Leagues. He easily out studied all of his classmates.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...unce-decision/
 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM
 
2,883 posts, read 3,375,133 times
Reputation: 4041
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
This phenomenon is known as White flight. It is due to White racism, and is aided and abetted by "investors" who buy up these properties and rent them, real estate agents who encourage White people to leave, redlining, blockbusting, ect. People make a lot of money off of scared folks.
Having lived through the transition of the Baltimore City school system, I know first-hand that this explanation is completely wrong. So-called White Flight had and has nothing to do with racism. Rather, it had and has to do with crime, mainly, and other aspects of a totally dysfunctional, self-defeating inner-city Black culture, which Moynihan called a "tangled pathology" fifty years ago. The prevalence of one-parent and no-parent "families" drags down the school system; furthermore, many of these "families" pay no taxes to support the school system they destroy, all the while overloading the police, the courts, and the jails. Moreover, blockbusting as described above is very much a thing of the past, and has been for years.

Just for example, my family "White Flighted" from a changing neighborhood after our new next-door neighbor killed her husband by slashing his throat with a butcher knife. A cousin of mine who stayed behind was attacked in his home and brutally beaten by a group of Black teens -- his crime was "existing while White." One of my childhood friends was shot in the head while waiting for a traffic light to change -- his crime was "driving while White." Litter, crime, out-door defecation and urination, drug dealing, gunplay . . . in a neighborhood where only a few years earlier residents didn't need even to lock their doors at night. Maybe you recall the Baltimore fires of April 1968. And someone who wants to leave this kind of human cesspool is a "racist?" I don't think so . . .
 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:37 AM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,218,950 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Having lived through the transition of the Baltimore City school system, I know first-hand that this explanation is completely wrong. So-called White Flight had and has nothing to do with racism. Rather, it had and has to do with crime, mainly, and other aspects of a totally dysfunctional, self-defeating inner-city Black culture, which Moynihan called a "tangled pathology" fifty years ago. The prevalence of one-parent and no-parent "families" drags down the school system; furthermore, many of these "families" pay no taxes to support the school system they destroy, all the while overloading the police, the courts, and the jails. Moreover, blockbusting as described above is very much a thing of the past, and has been for years.

Just for example, my family "White Flighted" from a changing neighborhood after our new next-door neighbor killed her husband by slashing his throat with a butcher knife. A cousin of mine who stayed behind was attacked in his home and brutally beaten by a group of Black teens -- his crime was "existing while White." One of my childhood friends was shot in the head while waiting for a traffic light to change -- his crime was "driving while White." Litter, crime, out-door defecation and urination, drug dealing, gunplay . . . in a neighborhood where only a few years earlier residents didn't need even to lock their doors at night. Maybe you recall the Baltimore fires of April 1968. And someone who wants to leave this kind of human cesspool is a "racist?" I don't think so . . .
I won't debate the bulk of your post, which seems to address some legitimate issues, but the sentence I bolded is something that can really happen anywhere. These types of crimes of passion between family members are color-blind. But the rest of it? I can't debate that.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
 
11,612 posts, read 19,600,701 times
Reputation: 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
This phenomenon is known as White flight. It is due to White racism, and is aided and abetted by "investors" who buy up these properties and rent them, real estate agents who encourage White people to leave, redlining, blockbusting, ect. People make a lot of money off of scared folks.

Vouchers ect. enable people to subsidize private school for their children and further increase segregation.

Integrated schools are indeed possible, and will probably become more desirable. Remember, the US appeared mainly White due to discriminatory immigration practices. After the mid 1960's more people of color were allowed entry. Many of these people are far more studious than Americans (of any ethnicity) can ever hope to be. One child of immigrants from Africa in our neighborhood was just accepted to all Ivy Leagues. He easily out studied all of his classmates.

Kwasi Enin, Long Island Teen Accepted To All 8 Ivy League Schools, Picks Yale CBS New York
White flight is not due to racism. It is due to lower achievement and higher crime in majority minority schools. People who can do better by their children will do so.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,391,784 times
Reputation: 38819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
White flight is not due to racism. It is due to lower achievement and higher crime in majority minority schools. People who can do better by their children will do so.
Exactly!

People will call anything racism nowadays.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,391,784 times
Reputation: 38819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I won't debate the bulk of your post, which seems to address some legitimate issues, but the sentence I bolded is something that can really happen anywhere. These types of crimes of passion between family members are color-blind.
I would want to move away from neighbors who brought that level of violence to my neighborhood... no matter WHAT colors are involved.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,249 posts, read 4,465,752 times
Reputation: 3978
This thread reminds me of this article about Proviso West High School in the Chicago suburbs:

'WE'RE ALL RACIST NOW' - NYTimes.com
 
Old 02-14-2015, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Gringolandia
290 posts, read 757,717 times
Reputation: 620
What I find ironic is the blacks who do the "flight" thing too, at least here in Houston. If they live in the poverty areas and their income increases, they leave as soon as they can afford to, and often to white neighborhoods, where they and their children are accepted, and rightfully so. They leave because they don't want to be around the crime, the drugs, and the underperforming schools. And I don't blame them one bit.
 
Old 02-14-2015, 12:29 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,218,950 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would want to move away from neighbors who brought that level of violence to my neighborhood... no matter WHAT colors are involved.
Doubtful that people living in wealthy neighborhoods where a domestic dispute results in a homicide see it that way. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:23 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top