Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmaca View Post
What language is it? & what country is he so keen about investing in?
Chinese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM

99 posts, read 120,305 times
Ok, I see now that having a tutor and more structured instruction would be to his benefit. The romance and other European languages I feel can be done by oneself, given the appropriate level of innate talent and dedication.

I don't think doing business in China will be as easy as he thinks, either. I think you may be dealing with a young ambitious man with grandiose plans but little direction. I would recommend he also reach out to the Chinese embassy/consulate and also the (I assume you are in the US) American commercial service. There are also many Chinese-American business associations. A Boren or other type scholarship to go to China/Taiwan and learn the language whilst making connections. Or he could teach English comfortably in China while using the experience to be immersed in the language and culture.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:13 PM

141 posts, read 160,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdfn0987 View Post
Chinese
Kind of worrisome that you answered with a genric term.

Is he even learning the dialect he needs?

If he wants to study hard and not miss any lessons, then why is that an issue with you?

The only inappropriate thing would be texting you outside the class, that would be unacceptable for me on a constant basis. Other than that, let him work and study hard, jeez.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 7,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Kind of worrisome that you answered with a genric term.

Is he even learning the dialect he needs?

If he wants to study hard and not miss any lessons, then why is that an issue with you?

The only inappropriate thing would be texting you outside the class, that would be unacceptable for me on a constant basis. Other than that, let him work and study hard, jeez.
Sorry, my bad. I was just trying to save time while typing. I meant I am teaching him Mandarin Chinese and yes that is the dialect he needs to be learning.

I don't have an issue with him studying hard-I'm rather glad that he does. My problem is just the amount of maintenance (text/emails/extra work) I've been doing outside of class.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
. He would constantly text me with questions (most of the time when I am working, which is annoying sometimes) when he uses office hours to study. I was proud of him at first because I feel that as a teacher, I should be glad when my student really makes an effort. So I always reply to him as much as possible even though I really shouldn't be looking at my phone during work. He did make a lot of progress in the language and I was really glad to see him improved.

Does anyone have an insight to this problem? I mean he is generally a very good student and nice person in general, but I've been wondering if this is some kind of overzealous learning behavior or is this just his personality? I've been feeling a little uncomfortable because I feel that as much as I care about helping him making progress, I am in fact paid by the hour and I really shouldn't do this much work for him outside of the actual in-person lessons
Quote:
That's what I've been trying to tell him for a long time. Maybe I need to be more clear on things with him. Maybe I should ask him to gather questions and ask them in one setting during the lesson instead of shooting random emails and texts to me.

As an experienced language learner myself, I have never had a tutor my entire life and I managed to teach myself speak a few different languages fluently. I personally think that one should not rely too much on a tutor because the majority of the work should always be on practicing in your own time. I get that he doesn't want to spend extra money on subscribing to blogs/online lessons since he's already spending money to hire me. And as a business-minded person, he probably thinks that he's wasting money on lessons if he's not progressing fast enough.
Are there any free blogs or webcasts or social groups where he can practice practice listening or talking in that language? Even movies or educational videos? What about a meet up group? Are there any cultural activities or religious groups or even restaurants in your area where he could attend/visit to hear or practice the language?

If you had to a cancel an occasional lesson perhaps he wouldn't get as obsessed if he had other ways to practice the language.

Quote:
My problem is just the amount of maintenance (text/emails/extra work) I've been doing outside of class.
If you are being paid by the hour and he is asking a lot of extra questions on your personal, non teaching time you need to make it clear that you will either respond to his questions at the start of your lesson or start to charge him for that time.

Think of it this way, would any other professional, who is paid by the hour, such as an attorney or doctor or accountant, just answer question after question after question between the paid times? I really doubt it.

Just be honest with him. You charge so much per each hour of direct lessons and that includes whatever amount of preparation/planning time is built in to your pay scale. Perhaps it is a little, perhaps it is a lot but whatever amount it is he is greatly exceeding that time. What if every single client of yours started to email frequent questions to you and expect immediate answers? What if he starts to tell all of your potential clients "Mr. Smith is great, you can him ask questions day or night and he immediately answers and does not charge any extra". And all of your new clients start to do that, too.

Figure it out and tell him that the new rates will start in two weeks.

PS. You will really need the extra money if you get fired for constantly using your phone to answer texts while on your regular job.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-17-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 PM

185 posts, read 184,754 times
Charge more for your time. :-)

Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM

436 posts, read 420,810 times
First set boundaries about when you will reply to his questions, and stick to them. Second, I don't think he's unreasonabld to ask for a make up lesson. If you can't do it he should accept graciously. I don't think he's being overzealous or setting himself up for failure. But you might not be a personality match for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education