Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:59 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Contrarian here. I would say having something to communicate is most important. There are often
intermediaries who are skilled at taking a great new concept or solution to a problem and communicating it to others. But if there is no substance (no concept or solution) behind it then 'communication' is just noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I don't know if we can narrow it down to just ONE skill. It is like asking what is the most important part on a car ? If we say the motor, it is no good without the wheels, or the brakes, or the steering......every part has to work together. Same with skills.

I've known a lot of great communicators over the years who were lousy at other things, like math, writing, people skills, and bringing concepts to fruition. I've also known people who had all the book smarts in the world, but who were terrible at their people skills.

A well rounded person can communicate well, knows how to get along with others, has some degree of education and intelligence, a good work ethic and a strong desire to get ahead.

There is an old saying that goes "An expert is a person who knows a lot about a little, and a Salesman is a person who knows a little about a lot !" That pretty wells sums me up..........I know a little about a lot of subjects but am not an expert in any particular field.

Don

Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
People skill

Subsets would include patience, listening, relating.
"People skills" are totally overrated, IMO. It depends on your job, and your ability to text message your way in every situation. I think the most important skill we need in life is the ability to think critically, thus allowing us to make sound judgments, like foregoing college now, if applicable

Old 02-21-2015, 02:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Communication, compassion and empathy are all important, but very high on the list should be quantitative thinking. Innumeracy is a bigger problem than illiteracy. Innumeracy is what has collapsed our economy and the world's economy.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
,,,. Innumeracy is a bigger problem than illiteracy. ,,,.
Reading a tape measure is a skill I have a hard time finding in $12/hr employees, They can hack up a $70 sheet of cabinet grade plywood in no time. 2 week lead time to replace, and all the sudden your $12 / hr employee has caused you to miss a contract obligation with a $400k/yr customer.

Nice going. (And they will want a raise next week (if they get a job done correctly once).

Paying their workman's comp and SS is fun too, Math skills are important for business owners. (just don't get to deep into what your $12/hr employees REALLY cost you!)

Fractions? Not a chance (Thank goodness I have been 'Metric' since Spiro Agnew was VP). Tough to make a measuring mistake using Metric. (gotta really work at it, but it happens).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-21-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 04:35 AM

327 posts, read 568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
People skill

Subsets would include patience, listening, relating.
This is what I thought the answer would be. I had a boss once who told me the most important skill for success in his high level job was interpersonal relations - he said nothing else -- math, writing, analytic skill, knowledge of finance --came close.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I don't know if we can narrow it down to just ONE skill. It is like asking what is the most important part on a car ? If we say the motor, it is no good without the wheels, or the brakes, or the steering......every part has to work together. Same with skills.

I've known a lot of great communicators over the years who were lousy at other things, like math, writing, people skills, and bringing concepts to fruition. I've also known people who had all the book smarts in the world, but who were terrible at their people skills.

A well rounded person can communicate well, knows how to get along with others, has some degree of education and intelligence, a good work ethic and a strong desire to get ahead.

There is an old saying that goes "An expert is a person who knows a lot about a little, and a Salesman is a person who knows a little about a lot !" That pretty wells sums me up..........I know a little about a lot of subjects but am not an expert in any particular field.

Don
The question is not "what is the only skill". It asks "what is the #1 skill?". Of course there is a #2, #3, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Distinguishing rational language from bull.

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
Anxiety Culture: Tyranny of Words - excerpt
http://archive.org/details/tyrannyofwords00chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8

Accounting Theory and Practice (1917)
https://archive.org/details/accountingtheor00kestgoog

psik

Old 02-23-2015, 12:21 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
A steady trigger finger.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:16 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
Since, to the best of my knowledge, "communication" per se isn't taught in elementary school, doesn't that really translate to teaching reading and writing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education