U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:33 PM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times

Advertisements

I wish I'd looked at my time in school as more of a job. Go there, work hard, do your best and consider your grades your paycheck. Look at it as a foundation to your career. Take it seriously. But do your eight and hit the gate. Find something creative to focus on during your down time. Be around mature and like-minded people just to depressurize. Try not to pay much attention to the pettiness. Also, if you don't react they won't think it's fun being mean. Sometimes just asking "why are you so mean?" might snap people out of it (your "friend") but don't depend upon it. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM

926 posts, read 1,427,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepanini View Post
High school junior here. I attend a magnet cut throat high school where an 85 is considered a bad grade. The academic stress is stifling the creativity and life out of me. In addition,many people in school are incredibly petty and mean for no apparent reason (actually, I've noticed that many people my age are like this). My statements about high school may seem too judgmental, but it really is my opinion that high school sucks. I'm pretty unpopular, most people don't know of my existence, and the few friends I do have aren't very good friends at all-we never actually talk, unless they need something from me. I actually have a harder time now because one of my "friends" had a bad day and took her anger out on me one day. She refused to apologize and now she has successfully turned away the rest of my "friends" away from me. I'm still not used to being completely alone, but I'll survive. The thing is, I keep telling myself that college will be much better, and that's the only thing that's keeping me afloat. What if I'm wrong? What if college is just as bad? What were your personal experiences?
LORD YES! I'm 38. I didn't go to my 20 year reunion last year. Why? I decided SOPHOMORE YEAR I wasn't going. That's how bad high school sucked. I can think of MAYBE four or five fun things from HS, and everything else SUCKED. I had FEW friends and the ones I had were fake and part-time friends. Like you, I got turned on by a group of "friends". I was bullied BADLY by all types of people - I was basically a punching bag. I was in the band, but it really wasn't that much fun. Though I went to the prom both years, I didn't have a date either time. I didn't have a boyfriend the entire time. Although I am very smart (not bragging, it's true, LOL) I was a DREADFUL student - my GPA was in the 1s. I never got picked for dance company, or big parts in the school plays, even though I KNOW I was talented. My high school was/is one of the top ones in the country, very competitive, but I just didn't fare well. I didn't fit in. High school was just a bad, bad, bad time for me.

I ***THANK GOD*** for sending me to the place I went to college (yes, I got in with a 1 GPA - on the strength of my SAT scores. Told you I was smart. ). It's difficult for me to even talk about college without tearing up, it means that much to me. It changed my life. My school is literally my family. I made lifelong friends that became like family, that I talk to to this very day. Rather than letting me slack off and be lazy like in high school, the professors pushed me, hounded me, and wouldn't accept less than my best. They identified talents that nobody had ever told me I had (had no idea I was a good writer until I got there). They gave me opportunities to use my talents and shine. This set the stage for me to go on and be successful in life. To this day my professors and classmates are still cheering me on, 16 years after I graduated. When I went back to grad school at age 33, my old college professors wrote letters of recommendation. Although I wouldn't set foot at my old high school if they had a CHECK waiting for me - I actually avoid driving past it was just that bad - I LOOOOOOOOOVED every minute of college and I'm extremely grateful I went there. I GLADLY go to homecoming every year to spend time with my college friends.

So to answer your question - Just like the earth, life moves in seasons. Some seasons are phenomenal, some are awful. High school is just a bad season for you. Don't let this temporary season make you think that this is all that there is to life.

Last edited by Special_Guest; 02-20-2015 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 PM

397 posts, read 269,794 times
All the best to you. In the meantime, if your schedule and age will allow it, you could look for socialization away from school. A part-time job can give you a relief from just students and parents, or pick up a hobby. Along with giving you a distraction it could give your college application the edge that grades will not. Consider community service projects as well. You will find mentors and life long associates.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM

43 posts, read 26,726 times
Life is much better after high school. High school is an artificial social environment based on the values of your peers who at this point in their lives are lacking life experience and the maturity and perspective that come with it. 10-20 years from now you'll find that high school doesn't play much of a role in most people's lives. This is particularly so as you continue on to college or find youself backpacking around Europe or building a career. And with studies, once you get past core requirements and you can study in the field you choose, you'll find studies much more enjoyable.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 PM

11,366 posts, read 6,786,875 times
Dos it get better after high school? - Absolutely!

But the problem here is that it then reverts to something organized and regimented along the lines of junior high at most 9-to-5 only, entry-level workplaces.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 PM

15 posts, read 18,178 times
I barely remember high school.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
High school is "talking the talk" - real life is "walking the walk."

Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 AM

9,077 posts, read 5,402,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepanini View Post
Yes, i'm most definitely planning on going to school on the other side of the country. As for grades, I know I can handle any academic obstacles that come in my way. My school is infamous for having college level courses-or at the very least courses that would be considered 'advanced' in a normal school. I'm planning on majoring in the liberal arts, so I won't have to deal with failing Physics or barely passing Biology, etc. I suppose it depends on the people because everyone is different-but I hope that by college everyone matures, so I won't have to deal with the social structure that comes with high school.
Being on my own sounds exciting. I do realize that it also requires responsiblity, but I don't have the best relationship with my parents and I feel like being someplace far away, on my own, will be liberating.

Be careful, I've seen far too many people got to college and swung too far in the other direction: partied too hard, drugs, reckless sex, failed classes, etc. And it's usually those who are not unlike your situation who found themselves freed of HS and wanted to make up for it.

As for HS, it was a horrible time for me: and I was not at all a loner. Social pressure made me pick on certain classmates in order to "maintain" my position in the hierarchy and I abruptly ended relationship and engagement with some of the opposite sex solely because my equally souless and shallow circle of acquaintance (not even friends) deem them too nerdy, or not pretty, etc. I felt like I was in a prison doing a lot of nasty things in order to survive and I need a shower just thinking back to those times.

By my senior year, I said **********, I've had enough and stopped the BS. I stopped worrying about what other people thought of me and I actually felt good that last year in HS, even though that meant I was alone a lot more often and I only hung out with a few people. Funny thing is, I notice some of my peers doing the same. The social bricks just got too heavy that they gave up and just be themselves. Perhaps you'll see that in your path as well.

Goo luck and yes, it will get better as long as you stay the course.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,788 posts, read 37,451,783 times
The only school event worse than HS, is a HS reunion and seeing all the people who NEVER grow beyond HS and their shallow HS 'friends'

Where are you? FREE Full Time college instead of HS in WA and HI (and many other states).
Running Start - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent less than 3 hrs / Day at HS during Jr and Senior yrs. I worked 3 jobs and had a LOT of fun!

Good thing, cuz 3 weeks out of HS I became a caregiver for a disabled parent for the next 32 yrs.

Party over.

I was still able to accomplish a lot (including 5 degree programs), but life was not ez until AFTER age 50.
(Pre age 16 was "Dairy Farm Boarding School" 24x7. up at 4:30AM 7 days / week. Milking again at 4:30 PM 7 days / week, High School was a good place to sleep.

Hang in there, Life is a 'process'. Make the best of it. (Make lots of lemonade)

Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
Yes, the years after High School are so much better! You come into contact with a lot greater variety of people who have better things to do than stir the pot in the closed atmosphere of a school full of teenagers. As you may have noticed, teens, based on hormone changes, parental input, and a ton of other things mature at different rates. You might be maturing faster than your peers, and they may not understand that. Just keep doing your best, start doing things mostly to benefit *your* future (not what everyone else is contemplating) and you will be happiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or