U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,694,933 times

Advertisements

I agree with you that everyone should make the best decision for his/her family, and also that homeschooling is definitely NOT for everyone.

But what is the amplification that you are speaking of? Is talking about homeschooling amplifying what we are doing? Is it only talking about the benefits of homeschooling? People talk about how great their local school districts are all the time. I think it's natural to be proud of your kids and of what you are doing with them, and I don't think this is something that only homeschoolers do. No one gets annoyed when somebody says, "we moved to a new town because we wanted to be in a better school district, and the kids are doing much better" or "My son graduated in the top 10% of his class and has been accepted to three different colleges!" But it's annoying and amplifying if a homeschooler were to say, "We started homeschooling and now our kids are doing much better," or "We homeschooled all the way through high school and now my son has been accepted to three different colleges!"

There's no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
If there's anything i try not to do is double speak. I go out if my way not to. Now when writing certain things may get lost in translation or misconstrued.

Make no mistake, I have no issues with homeschooling, it is something i considered doing and decided against. I have no issues with the idea, just the execution. I have no issue with private or public schooling ideas either. I have issues with with their cost and execution respectively. I have no issues with families that homeschool... i have issues with some of their reasons for doing so... But to each his own. One size does not fit all. Everyone picks whats best for their kids and family and hopes for the best.

What i dont get is why some of you feel the need to amplify what you are doing... Like its somehow better or superior to other peoples choices... Some have blatantly equated not making the same choice to inferior parenting. Call a spade a spade. Bucking the trend comes with a feeling of pride over being different or enlightened or having knowledge others do not posses. I get it...But lets not kid ourselves, it does not a better parent make.

I think homeschooling is the best choice for many families. But that does not make it the best choice for ALL families neither has it proven itself to be. That is ALL im saying.( while calling out some extremos on this topic)
I much agree with you, which is why I've highlighted this line. This is what's it's all about. In fact the very title of this thread "do you wonder why more people don't homeschool?" is fundamentally based on the premise that if everyone were as enlightened or knew what they knew, then everyone would homeschool.

I don't care if people homeschool, or private school, or public school. My kids happen to go to public school, a very good one. But I still make my concerns known to them (which if you've read some of my other posts are on this site).

Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM

816 posts, read 488,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I agree with you that everyone should make the best decision for his/her family, and also that homeschooling is definitely NOT for everyone.

But what is the amplification that you are speaking of? Is talking about homeschooling amplifying what we are doing? Is it only talking about the benefits of homeschooling? People talk about how great their local school districts are all the time. I think it's natural to be proud of your kids and of what you are doing with them, and I don't think this is something that only homeschoolers do. No one gets annoyed when somebody says, "we moved to a new town because we wanted to be in a better school district, and the kids are doing much better" or "My son graduated in the top 10% of his class and has been accepted to three different colleges!" But it's annoying and amplifying if a homeschooler were to say, "We started homeschooling and now our kids are doing much better," or "We homeschooled all the way through high school and now my son has been accepted to three different colleges!"

There's no difference.

Lets review some sound bytes from your peers shall we?

"..Because 4 adults routinely take their time to educate him not send him off to some dumb ass cattle call..."

Cattle call in this case is regular school as you may have gathered.

"...teaching your own is just another facet of parenting. If you don't have the patience to teach your own kids, by extension, you don't have the patience to parent them either..."

no explanation needed for that genius reasoning.

"... if one has time, resources,temperament, desire and knowledge to be a good parent,they're already pre-qualified to homeschool..."

Another nugget of wisdom. I guess that explains that then...

."....because academically speaking home schooled student have proven over time that they are brighter and have a dedication to complete much more than the average public educated entering from that arena than ever before...."

Verbatim. This grammar is from what I can only assume is a parent that's teaching their own child....grammar. The irony/humor does not escape me.

"....Because it requires a real commitment from the parents?...."

Now this may have been a joke....at least I hope it was.

".......1) they cant stand the idea of that much time with their kids 2) they don't have the time/Inclination 3) They don't feel smart enough .... But usually #1 which makes me wonder why they had kids....."

Note to self. Parents that recognize their limitations should not be parents. Opt for vasectomies/hysterectomies if you cannot dedicate 100% of your time to your children. Careers and college tuitions be damned.

".....through one-on-one private tutoring. Because its the best and fastest way to teach ANYONE ANYTHIING......"

Lets repeat that again...The BEST, and FASTEST, way to teach ANYONE (note, ANYONE) ANYTHING( yes, ANYTHING)
No grandiose, unsubstantiated claims here.....

I think I've made my point. No use beating a dead horse, I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I was simply annoyed by the insular thinking on display here.

I hope I have presented my evidence of amplification to your satisfaction. Again, these same statements about any type of schooling directed at other options would be equally repugnant.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 AM

3,351 posts, read 2,694,933 times
I was only remembering the cattle call comment, which made me roll my eyes, but I figured most would see it as something said by a particularly eager-beaver, young, bright-eyed (and obnoxious) new homeschooler. I had forgotten about the "if you aren't able to homeschool, you're not able to parent" comments (I'm thinking they were made by the same exuberant poster, but I don't have time to look back and see), and some of them never even registered on my annoyance meter at first pass. But yes, I do agree that most of those are obnoxious, over-the-top statements.

I thought you were taking issue with people who simply like homeschooling and think it's the best option for their families, and saying that talking about it was amplification. I misunderstood.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM

816 posts, read 488,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I thought you were taking issue with people who simply like homeschooling and think it's the best option for their families, and saying that talking about it was amplification. I misunderstood.
Nope, not at all.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

463 posts, read 376,893 times
I don't home school but I respect those that do! If I were in a situation that the best option is to home school I would. I'm like the above poster, more introverted, not so sure I could cope. I like helping with homework but I never wanted to be a teacher either. This whole notion that home schooled kids aren't socialized drives me crazy! I know home schooled kids and they socialized just fine with my kids outside everyday after school. Not to mention the group outings they attend with other home schooled kids. It's not like they aren't allowed to leave the house or take dance classes, sports, etc.... Why do critics say that???

Old 04-07-2015, 03:20 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,431,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
If there's anything i try not to do is double speak. I go out if my way not to. Now when writing certain things may get lost in translation or misconstrued.

Make no mistake, I have no issues with homeschooling, it is something i considered doing and decided against. I have no issues with the idea, just the execution. I have no issue with private or public schooling ideas either. I have issues with with their cost and execution respectively. I have no issues with families that homeschool... i have issues with some of their reasons for doing so... But to each his own. One size does not fit all. Everyone picks whats best for their kids and family and hopes for the best.

What i dont get is why some of you feel the need to amplify what you are doing... Like its somehow better or superior to other peoples choices... Some have blatantly equated not making the same choice to inferior parenting. Call a spade a spade. Bucking the trend comes with a feeling of pride over being different or enlightened or having knowledge others do not posses. I get it...But lets not kid ourselves, it does not a better parent make.

I think homeschooling is the best choice for many families. But that does not make it the best choice for ALL families neither has it proven itself to be. That is ALL im saying.( while calling out some extremos on this topic)
Fair enough.

I do agree there are some home school families that quite simply should not be homeschooling, and there are those that see a good and successful choice for their situation as generalizing to the entire population, and are quite fervent about the position; but those two ends of the spectrum are a minority in homeschooling based on my experience (they annoy some of us homeschoolers too, by the way).

I think for those who are inclined and motivated, it can be an extremely positive family experience - but it is a huge commitment and a lot of work, and I absolutely agree that it's not right for everyone!

It worked very well for us, but we had some unique situations, and my wife was both capable and motivated to do it right, and do it well.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 PM

23,409 posts, read 29,945,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Maybe the answer is simply that most Americans are satisfied with their local public schools, especially since the quality/reputation of the local school district is a major determinant of where people with children buy or rent homes.
This^^. Most parents in my area are thrilled with our schools. My son practically adored many of his teachers - they were that good. I don't have anything against homeschoolers, but there is no way I could have ever provided the kind of education my son got at our schools, even if I could have afforded to stay home.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,008,368 times
No wonder there's contention in the thread.

There are several posters who are confusing who said what, as well as what people have said.
For example, one of my comments was "if one has time, resources,temperament, desire and knowledge to be a good parent, you're already pre-qualified to homeschool."
Which is true.

Homeschooling is not that complicated. If you're already someone who is striving to do their best as a parent, you'll be the same way as a homeschooler. If you don't *want* to, that's fine, but that has nothing to do with ability. And ability was the only thing my post was addressing
And no, I'm certainly not the one who said anything about a cattle call. lol

Now, if you're still determine to be offended, carry on with my blessing. I understand. Some people really need that drama.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM

3,804 posts, read 3,747,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
No wonder there's contention in the thread.

There are several posters who are confusing who said what, as well as what people have said.
For example, one of my comments was "if one has time, resources,temperament, desire and knowledge to be a good parent, you're already pre-qualified to homeschool."
Which is true.

Homeschooling is not that complicated. If you're already someone who is striving to do their best as a parent, you'll be the same way as a homeschooler. If you don't *want* to, that's fine, but that has nothing to do with ability. And ability was the only thing my post was addressing
And no, I'm certainly not the one who said anything about a cattle call. lol

Now, if you're still determine to be offended, carry on with my blessing. I understand. Some people really need that drama.
I've got to strongly disagree with the bolded part. Homeschooling is hard work, and it's not for everyone. A person can be a fabulous parent, but not necessarily have the ability to teach effectively. And even if a person can teach wonderfully, it's still a huge sacrifice that may ultimately be too much.

I homeschooled my 3 boys for many years and it was a full time job, maybe more. I did it very well, but I am the kind of person who goes above and beyond in almost anything I do. I honestly don't know anyone else who put as much time into hs'ing as I did. And I can say it paid off for my boys. They all scored very high on standardized tests and on the SAT. They all ended up with full or nearly full academic scholarships at well-respected universities. One now has his MBA and a high-paying job, one is an engineer and he also has a great job, and the youngest is in dental school.

So I know I did not screw up their futures by homeschooling. BUT.....I screwed up my own. I set my career aside for many years to be a full time mom and hs teacher. I had no crystal ball, of course, to know that after my kids had grown I would end up divorced and need to return to the career I had let stagnate. Of course, I was back at the bottom of the ladder, and no way to climb as high as now I wish I could have.

Back then, I believed being a good mom included sacrificing whatever it took to "do the best" for my children. Now I believe I could have been a great mom and still taken better care of myself and my own future. If I had to do it all over again, I would not homeschool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or