U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM

84 posts, read 78,780 times

Advertisements

I've read all the comments so far and many of the commentators seem hostile to homeschooling more than supportive. If you care more what your friends think than how much you care about your kid, that causes me to ask why that is even an issue? Why do you care what they think. It narrow minded because they don't know and most who have negative comments are only repeating things they've heard others say that are against it. I find that public school teachers are probably the most outspoken against home schooling. That is personal experience as well. I wonder if they feel threatened? Over the last 15 years I've known personally about 50 kids all home schooled that have gone onto higher education and all have done better than their peers academically that came from public institutions.

I heard recently that colleges and universities are now more inclined and much more receptive to have home school students attend their campuses because academically speaking home schooled student have proven over time that they are brighter and have a dedication to complete much more than the average public educated entering from that arena than ever before.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-15-2015 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: fixed typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 PM

3,151 posts, read 7,099,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybaloneytoys View Post
I find that public school teachers are probably the most outspoken against home schooling. Thats personal experience as well. I wonder if they feel threatened?
No, it's because we usually see the HS failures, not the success stories. I have absolutely nothing against homeschooling. But please don't wait until you realize your child is 2 grade levels behind to get help or return to public school.

Whatever you do, do it because it is what is best for your child and your family. Don't judge others for what they do. Education is not one size fits all; therefore comparisons are difficult.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 AM

581 posts, read 454,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Even though the numbers have more than doubled in the last 10 years or so, it's still seen as out of the norm.

Some people don't think they can work and homeschool.
Some think their kids will miss out on too many opportunities.
Some are quite happy with their existing schooling options.
Some think their kids won't learn social norms if not in a classroom with 30 other kids who also don't know social norms lol
Some think they have to continue through high school (and don't know how to teach bio/chem/algebra/etc)
Some think their kids will miss out on the cultural experience they themselves had
Some don't see any reason to educate their kids outside the current norm.

Plain and simply, for those who've thought about it, most will dismiss it because it's still seen as weird.
You stated a lot of reasons above and perhaps a very minute population of the parents who do not homeschool fit into the one of reasons above; however, IMO, most parents who choose not to homeschool is for the reason that I highlighted - they are content with the education that they are currently receiving. For those parents who have thought about it but in the end chose not to, IMO, it is because they feel that the added benefit would not outweigh the sacrifice.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 AM

12,448 posts, read 9,773,931 times
Because it requires a real commitment from parents?

Let the flames fly .

Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 AM

41,982 posts, read 48,569,749 times
The people I know who are against home school for themselves say

1. They can't stand the idea of that much time with their kids.
2. They don't have time/inclination.
3. They don't feel smart enough.

But usually #1. Which makes me wonder why they had kids.

But each situation is unique.
My wife and I haven't decided yet.
But I would love the time, flexibility, ability to tailor to my kids' pace and aptitude, etc.

Once the very rich and privileged had their entire schooling through one-on-one private tutoring.
Why?
Because it's the best and fastest way to teach anyone anything.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM

12,396 posts, read 26,615,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Because it requires a real commitment from parents?

Let the flames fly .
Why would some one flame you for that? It's a huge commitment, with time, energy and money. Many people cannot afford to have one parent stay home and teach their kids, especially if they're a single parent. I loved my kids but when we moved our priorities included very good schools so they could attend those schools. All three turned out to be well adjusted (okay, slightly crazy) adults. I think it's fine for anyone to homeschool if they can swing it and they have the ability to do a good job. As the saying goes, it's a free country.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:32 PM

581 posts, read 454,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The people I know who are against home school for themselves say

1. They can't stand the idea of that much time with their kids.
2. They don't have time/inclination.
3. They don't feel smart enough.

But usually #1. Which makes me wonder why they had kids.

But each situation is unique.
My wife and I haven't decided yet.
But I would love the time, flexibility, ability to tailor to my kids' pace and aptitude, etc.

Once the very rich and privileged had their entire schooling through one-on-one private tutoring.
Why?
Because it's the best and fastest way to teach anyone anything.
None of them say it because their schools are doing a good job? I have 3 kids and 2 of them are in school (kindergarten and 2nd grade). Our school district is rated #1 in the DFW, Texas area. My sons *love* school. They look forward to going everyday. Why would I even think about homeschooling if they are attending a great school and they love it?

Also, I like that my kids have a life independent from me. I don't think its healthy for them to be with me 24/7. My motto as a parent has alway been "help kids plant roots and build their wings to fly". It's not that I don't want time with my kids - I am a SAHM. I didn't give up the last 8 years of my life because I don't want to be with them. But at the same time, I do get sick of my kids from time to time and need a break from them. To say that I should not have become a parent because I don't love being with 24/7 is a bunch crap.

Also, I think it's weird that a lot of homeschoolers question why people don't homeschool. Do Homeschoolers not outsource other aspects of their lives to professionals? When my kids are sick, I take them to a doctor. When my car breaks down, I go to a mechanic. I don't grow my own vegetables or breed and raise cows, chickens, etc. When I built my house, I hired an architect. If I ever get in trouble with the law, I will hire an attorney. If I need to fly somewhere, I will use an airline. I do not ever plan to make my own clothes.

Now, could I try to do all of these things or even some or even one? Yes, I could but like I said, why would I when there are professionals who supply these services very well?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:37 PM

12,396 posts, read 26,615,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
None of them say it because their schools are doing a good job? I have 3 kids and 2 of them are in school (kindergarten and 2nd grade). Our school district is rated #1 in the DFW, Texas area. My sons *love* school. They look forward to going everyday. Why would I even think about homeschooling if they are attending a great school and they love it?

Also, I like that my kids have a life independent from me. I don't think its healthy for them to be with me 24/7. My motto as a parent has alway been "help kids plant roots and build their wings to fly". It's not that I don't want time with my kids - I am a SAHM. I didn't give up the last 8 years of my life because I don't want to be with them. But at the same time, I do get sick of my kids from time to time and need a break from them. To say that I should not have become a parent because I don't love being with 24/7 is a bunch crap.

Also, I think it's weird that a lot of homeschoolers question why people don't homeschool. Do Homeschoolers not outsource other aspects of their lives to professionals? When my kids are sick, I take them to a doctor. When my car breaks down, I go to a mechanic. I don't grow my own vegetables or breed and raise cows, chickens, etc. When I built my house, I hired an architect. If I ever get in trouble with the law, I will hire an attorney. If I need to fly somewhere, I will use an airline. I do not ever plan to make my own clothes.

Now, could I try to do all of these things or even some or even one? Yes, I could but like I said, why would I when there are professionals who supply these services very well?
Good points ^^ and speaking of paying for services, we pay quite a bit in taxes for our district to teach our kids. I've never complained about our high taxes because I think we've gotten our money's worth in good education and I'm happy to help the next generation as well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

41,982 posts, read 48,569,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post

Reading comprehension is your friend.

But defensiveness blinds us.

Note that I didn't even say that we were choosing to homeschool. Nor did I say that a good school isn't a better choice than a parent who is either unwilling or unfit to home school. We must be neighbors, as the school district we live in is not only tops in the area but one of the tops in the state.
That being said, I still have to ask myself if my son and daughter will do better in that environment or if they will do better in a homeschool environment or a private school environment. The reason this is even a debate in my mind is that I went to these schools. I credit these schools for my success in college; however, I also blame the way the schools are set up in this country for my eventual hatred of the school system, my feelings that most of the day are a waste of time rehashing the same things over and over again, & I don't want my kids to wind up hating school like I did.

The simple fact is that in the 6 hours kids spend in school, they learn about 45 minutes worth of stuff.

I started my education in a private international school in another country. The school days were short. The curriculum was fun and engaging. I really love going to school. There was no homework. And when I moved here, I was at least one grade ahead of everyone else I was in class with. Our education system wastes a lot of time and kills the spirit of fun in learning. I went to school in California. I went to schools in Texas. While the schools in Texas were slightly better, they were nothing like the private school I went to.

And outsourcing your car or your dirty dishes is slightly different than outsourcing your children. If you don't see the difference, I can't really help you.

Last edited by stan4; 03-16-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM

4,104 posts, read 3,890,509 times
I was homeschooled from 8th to 11th grade and knew a few dozen others that were as well. ALL of them were lacking in education and social skills. Of them, some of the parents even did the homework for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or