Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
My children go to a school which has a uniform system which I love. Every few months the school will have a fund raising event where if the parents sell all the tickets , that particular child gets a week full of free dress. I feel this makes little kids ( Pre-K, K , 1st ) feel very differently about the environment and question why some get that oppurtunity vs others. Note that this is a Private school and every parent pays to send their children to school. I was thinking of bringing this up to the management. While a part of me thinks its trivial the other side of me says that I should make some noise. Thoughts on this?

Bring it up in a meeting so you can continue the "no child left beind" nonsense?
So everyone gets a trophy?
So everyone plays?
So no one learns how to deal with real life disappointment of not being chosen for a team, getting a trophy or wearing regular clothes for one week?

That has worked pretty well for the most recent generation of entitled to everything they want minded children......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
I hate hate hate any fundraising that gives prizes and awards to students who sell (or whose parents sell) something. Bad enough in private school - our public school has about three of these things a year, and the pto moms go into the schools and talk up all the wonderful prizes the kids can win. I always feel so bad when my kid gets all excited about the prizes, because no way in hell am I going to try to sell junk to my coworkers or take him door to door to collect money for something from our neighbors, who just resent it. I really don't like that kind of fundraising at all, and I think many parents feel the same way. Good luck changing it though.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Parents are basically buying their kid a week of free dress.

School uniforms are stupid. I had to wear them K-6 and it sucked.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Bring it up in a meeting so you can continue the "no child left beind" nonsense?
So everyone gets a trophy?
So everyone plays?
So no one learns how to deal with real life disappointment of not being chosen for a team, getting a trophy or wearing regular clothes for one week?

That has worked pretty well for the most recent generation of entitled to everything they want minded children......
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Financial contributions to the private school from parents and in any form other than what is mandatory (tuition + fees) should not be "rewarded" to the child of those parents in the school setting. Send the parents a nice letter at the end of the year thanking them for their efforts.

Anything else is in bad taste. Always has been and always will be. Even before NCLB, a "trophy for all" and "no cut sports".

Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Parents are basically buying their kid a week of free dress.

School uniforms are stupid. I had to wear them K-6 and it sucked.
School uniforms are great.

Don't have to worry about what the child has to wear to school - as a parent.

School isn't supposed to be a fashion show or a venue in which one needs to express oneself through what one wears (or barely wears). It's about learning.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Financial contributions to the private school from parents and in any form other than what is mandatory (tuition + fees) should not be "rewarded" to the child of those parents in the school setting. Send the parents a nice letter at the end of the year thanking them for their efforts.

Anything else is in bad taste. Always has been and always will be. Even before NCLB, a "trophy for all" and "no cut sports".
Sorry, but before NCLB, kids actually could leave their yards, go door to door and sell on their own, not that NCLB had anything to do with it but the shift in overprotective parenting happened roughly the same time....fundraising is a fact of life in private schools and if you don't like how it's done, volunteer to run the fundraiser and change it. Personally, it sounds more like a case of sour grapes than anything. Having been very involved in fundraising at our kids' private school, the kindergartners were smart enough to know that if they did not do x, they did not get y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
School uniforms are great.

Don't have to worry about what the child has to wear to school - as a parent.

School isn't supposed to be a fashion show or a venue in which one needs to express oneself through what one wears (or barely wears). It's about learning.
Uniforms do not equalize like people think they do....the kids still know who the haves and the have nots are....don't fool yourself into think it is any different. Kids are a lot smarter about those things then their parents are.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 267,516 times
Kids might know or eventually find out the difference between Haves and Have -nots. It is not necessary that we make it so obvious to them at such an early age. Life happens eventually but for as long as possible innocence in these impressionable minds needs to be kept.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
My daughter went to a school with uniforms. She was very proud of her uniform, and of her school. I think most of the other girls were too. But if "not having to wear a uniform" is a "reward", then the school is not encouraging the kids to feel pride in their uniform. It reduces the pride of the uniform.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonsuburbs View Post
Kids might know or eventually find out the difference between Haves and Have -nots. It is not necessary that we make it so obvious to them at such an early age. Life happens eventually but for as long as possible innocence in these impressionable minds needs to be kept.
Kids find out as soon as they start interacting with children from other families...not that money means anything to a toddler, but when a friend has the red car he wants and he doesn't have it, that's lesson one in that some kids have things you do not.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM

155 posts, read 267,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Kids find out as soon as they start interacting with children from other families...not that money means anything to a toddler, but when a friend has the red car he wants and he doesn't have it, that's lesson one in that some kids have things you do not.
Sure enough and I don't disagree with you. The point is we/tthe system should not shove it on them and make it so obvious in elementary. I hear you loud and clear as that IS the fact of life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education