Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Let us make no mistake about it -- the battle over control of our educational system is a central focus of our nation's current polarization.

My Seventh Grade History course focused heavily upon the U S Constitution, and this took place back in the early 1960's. The Bill of Rights took center stage, and the First Amendment, outlawing (at least in theory) the blending of religion and citizenship, took center stage,

At the time, of course, mandatory prayer in public schools was still the rule, but this would change within two years. The civil rights movement was intensifying, but several more years would pass before the nation's diversity would be fueled by revised immigration laws.

But the point I seek to establish here is that the Constitution's guarantee of religious neutrality prevented most of the abuses found, even in maturing European democracies, by establishment of a state religion.

A number of contributing factors have allowed the public educational system to substitute a secular ethic -- loosely structured around several issues usually associated with the Politically Correct. And the power of teachers' unions, backed by the point that public schools are usually all those of ordinary means can afford, has allowed that ethic to be further refined, intensified, and pushed in our classrooms as a sort of "secular gospel".

To those of us concerned over this concentration of power and influence in a setting where the concentration of authority pretty much automatically discourages dissent, the answer is obvious. Let's outlaw the "selling" of an "official" agenda by divorcing education from the public sector, just as the use of the state's monopoly on coercion to establish religion is forbidden.

The implementation of such a policy need not be as daunting as it seems; the physical plant is already in place and there is no reason why the majority of the curriculum be changed. My only concern is the use of publicly-funded classrooms to advocate a particular ideology. But it's becoming increasingly clear that the union of a near-monopoly on education with a well-established player (the NEA) with a clear agenda is concentrating power in a matter similar to establishment of religion; and that is the next great source of abuse which has to be remedied by the development of true pluralism in a free society.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-02-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
I think you overestimate the power of the NEA and teachers' unions in influencing curriculum. A bigger concern to me is the influence of the lobbyists of the reform and standards movements via the federal government. I'd be happy to see a divorce from a national curriculum in favor of more local control, but not because of the establishment of a political ideology, but rather the establishment of a profit-driven market system on a public trust. The last proposed constitutional amendment to pass was over 40 years ago, and I don't see one passing in the current climate of polarization that you noted, especially not one that takes away public education (if I am reading your purpose correctly).

Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
LOL..the teachers are the last ones that are asked about the curriculum and their comments fall on deaf ears.

Centralizing education was the worst thing to happen because now power comes from one place instead of 50.
Money can concentrate on that one person who can rule over them all.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Let us make no mistake about it -- the battle over control of our educational system is a central focus of our nation's current polarization.

My Seventh Grade History course focused heavily upon the U S Constitution, and this took place back in the early 1960's. The Bill of Rights took center stage, and the First Amendment, outlawing (at least in theory) the blending of religion and citizenship, took center stage,

At the time, of course, mandatory prayer in public schools was still the rule, but this would change within two years. The civil rights movement was intensifying, but several more years would pass before the nation's diversity would be fueled by revised immigration laws.

But the point I seek to establish here is that the Constitution's guarantee of religious neutrality prevented most of the abuses found, even in maturing European democracies, by establishment of a state religion.

A number of contributing factors have allowed the public educational system to substitute a secular ethic -- loosely structured around several issues usually associated with the Politically Correct. And the power of teachers' unions, backed by the point that public schools are usually all those of ordinary means can afford, has allowed that ethic to be further refined, intensified, and pushed in our classrooms as a sort of "secular gospel".

To those of us concerned over this concentration of power and influence in a setting where the concentration of authority pretty much automatically discourages dissent, the answer is obvious. Let's outlaw the "selling" of an "official" agenda by divorcing education from the public sector, just as the use of the state's monopoly on coercion to establish religion is forbidden.

The implementation of such a policy need not be as daunting as it seems; the physical plant is already in place and there is no reason why the majority of the curriculum be changed. My only concern is the use of publicly-funded classrooms to advocate a particular ideology. But it's becoming increasingly clear that the union of a near-monopoly on education with a well-established player (the NEA) with a clear agenda is concentrating power in a matter similar to establishment of religion; and that is the next great source of abuse which has to be remedied by the development of true pluralism in a free society.
Would you be so kind as delineate exactly the change you desire? Specifically; not general.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Not going to happen. There may be landmark legislation (example: the Civil Rights Act of 1964) or Supreme Court decision (example: Roe v. Wade) but the chances of an amendment are zero and zilch*. If someone sues and it goes to the Supreme Court it would probably be a First or Fourteenth Amendment (Brown v. Board of Education) -based decision.

*Read the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment as it applies to the right to a free and equal public education for every child. If you want to eliminate that for nation-wide private education....rotsa ruck.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-02-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Well, let's hear him make his case.

After all, we all want the feds out of education, right? Finding common ground is good.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I favor a voucher system where the parents decide where to educated their child; i could careless if they choice public or private. the education system is too screwed from what I have seen to fix.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 PM

You could care less, really?

You should do that.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Would you be so kind as delineate exactly the change you desire? Specifically; not general.
Challenge accepted: however, a detailed response might be a couple of days in coming due to job constraints

Let's say for now that I believe that all human activity should be privatized here possible. Obviously, this isn't always practical, and a "safety net" (in the case of education, vouchers) is necessary, but my principal concern is the threat of a formal policy pursued with the weight of the public sector, and those who have a vested interest within it, advocated from a publicly funded platform.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Only Denmark, Andorra and Finland have state religions at the time. The US Constitution bans it. US law also bans combinations in restraint of trade, but "too big to fail" seems to trump that.

I'm not really sure what you are after, but it surely does not rise to a constitutional amendment, as you are free to chose any type of school you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education