U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 PM

36,416 posts, read 41,232,705 times

Advertisements

Girls seem to do so well in elementary school but by high school too many are behind the boys because of competition for boys' attention, trying to keep up with fashion and fads and yes, sometimes teachers gives more attention to bright boys before bright girls.

I have 5 daughters (2 step) and all 5 loved science in school. Two are professional scientists, one is artist and two are in middle school but we are doing everything we can to encourage their STEM studies. 1 son is physicist, other is engineer.

How low self-esteem is killing girls’ academic success around the world - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 AM

48,521 posts, read 80,486,047 times
I think we need to face reality that males and females differ. Even tho there are more females less chose to compete for most of their adult lifes. In my family for instance all but two girls decided even with college degrees to quit work after they had children. It was purely their choice. But I also see where with less population we need the brightest and best to include girls in society in general. Its all a personal choice and at times fathers decide they will stay home and I see no problem. Often pushing too much is a bad thing:IMO. Not all scientist end up happy in life and that is reason to not push too much. As the song says; all I want for you my son is to be satisfied. You can put girl in there yourself. IMO; that is true .

Old 03-09-2015, 06:01 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,640,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Girls seem to do so well in elementary school but by high school too many are behind the boys because of competition for boys' attention, trying to keep up with fashion and fads and yes, sometimes teachers gives more attention to bright boys before bright girls.

I have 5 daughters (2 step) and all 5 loved science in school. Two are professional scientists, one is artist and two are in middle school but we are doing everything we can to encourage their STEM studies. 1 son is physicist, other is engineer.

How low self-esteem is killing girls’ academic success around the world - The Washington Post
NONE of our kids' friends are like that at all, thankfully!! Looking back at the last 10 or so graduating classes from their high school, MOST of the top students were girls and almost ALL of them are going into the STEM field. It was very much frowned upon at their school to "play dumb", thankfully. I would say that bright girls get far more attention in school than bright boys, but that is just our experience.

The other thing that REALLY bothers me is the over focus on STEM and how that is seen as the "only" way to do well in the world.....says the parent of two STEM majors in college.....

Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 AM

Nobody is saying girls and boys aren't different. Of course they are but we all know girls don't have as many opportunities as they should.

Also of course there are many paths to success. Right now America is lagging behind in science and we need to encourage everybody-girls and boys to explore those fields IF they find them interesting.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,640,878 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying girls and boys aren't different. Of course they are but we all know girls don't have as many opportunities as they should.

Also of course there are many paths to success. Right now America is lagging behind in science and we need to encourage everybody-girls and boys to explore those fields IF they find them interesting.
That is totally and completely FALSE. If anything, girls have far more opportunities than boys.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:22 AM

3,629 posts, read 3,200,159 times
Quote:
...and yes, sometimes teachers gives more attention to bright boys before bright girls.
Are there any studies that break down teachers' attitudes by gender, with regard to how they treat bright boys vs bright girls? In my kids' (2 boys) high school the math and science teachers are all female. I'd like to think they are not gender-biased one way of the other.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM

I remember seeing studies which showed teachers, even female ones, called on boys in class more than girls. Maybe boys volunteered more than girls because of self confidence.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
That is totally and completely FALSE. If anything, girls have far more opportunities than boys.

"The problem starts as early as grade school. Young girls are rarely encouraged to pursue math and science, which is problematic considering studies show a lack of belief in intellectual growth can actually inhibit it. In addition, there exists an unconscious bias that science and math are typically “male” fields while humanities and arts are primarily “female” fields, and these stereotypes further inhibit girls’ likelihood of cultivating an interest in math and science."

STEM Fields And The Gender Gap: Where Are The Women? - Forbes

Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 AM

5,537 posts, read 5,042,664 times
My husband and I attended a panel for all girl's middle/high schools recently, and this topic came up. There panel was made up of young ladies currently enrolled in these schools and some of them had there from traditional co-ed environments. Among the things they said:

1. One young lady spoke of being teased by boys in middle school because she tended to speak up a lot in class and score higher than them in math. They had all kinds of names for her along the lines of nerd and know-it-all, and she noticed that some of the girls who used to do just as well as her in class started shying away from speaking up because they did not want to be teased or mocked. A number of the other girls on the panel shared similar stories.

2. The moderator noted that both boys and girls can be competitive at that age, but boys tend to display a different type of competitiveness that involves a lot of teasing and aggression. Boys have been socialized that way from an early age but that type of thing tends to make the girls shut down and withdraw because they haven't been told to "shake it off" and "be tough" when publicly insulted all their lives. She said in all girls environments girls tend to be just as competitive but in a more supportive way.

3. She talked about girls' science scores rising to match boys when working in collaborative environments. I was already aware of those studies.

Anyway there is a lot of research about what happens around 5th grade or so that starts driving the math/science disparity between boys and girls and it seems *some* of it may be due to issues like this.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Timely

Silicon Valley is cool and powerful. But where are the women? | Technology | The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education