Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 AM

207 posts, read 225,597 times

Advertisements

I need to learn math, and I don't really know where to start to be honest. I have never mastered my multiplication table, but can do simple add/sub/mult/ and have a decent handle over Algebra 1, but Algebra 2 I can't do as of now.

I don't know if I should pick up an Arithmetic book, or go right into Algebra 1 and mastered it *probably again, but it's been over 5 years*.

I want to get to College Math *able* in 1 year too.

I can put in a solid 6-8 hours a day for a year.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,422,791 times
Find an online math curriculum used to teach home schooled children.

They have all the info and it's presented in a step by step manner.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 AM

68,282 posts, read 54,079,395 times
try this:https://www.khanacademy.org/

Old 03-22-2015, 08:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
I need to learn math, and I don't really know where to start to be honest. I have never mastered my multiplication table, but can do simple add/sub/mult/ and have a decent handle over Algebra 1, but Algebra 2 I can't do as of now.

I don't know if I should pick up an Arithmetic book, or go right into Algebra 1 and mastered it *probably again, but it's been over 5 years*.

Thank you.
As a rule of thumb, you want to go back to where you are proficient and start there. So I'd do arithmetic. I would recommend the Singapore math books. They're inexpensive and very good.

Khanacademy.org is a good site for reviewing what you already know or for additional examples.

If you put in a few hours a day you'll make fast progress. 6-8 is a bit much. You'll burn yourself out. If you go back far enough, you'll learn fast because you're older.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,212,597 times
I'll add another recommendation for Khan Academy.
I've got myself up to early Calculus with it...

No reason to use anything else.
There are videos that'll (re)teach you the lesson, followed by example problems to work on mastery. Then those problems will continue to pop up occasionally as you work your way along, to make sure you still remember how to do it, while learning new things.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 AM

25,371 posts, read 17,029,148 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Do you have anyone who can help?

I had a son who needed help the way you do. So, I bought him a basic arithmetic book. He did a full page of exercises every day, and I would check them. Each exercise became more difficult that the last.
He sometimes needed to study before he did an exercise, so he didn't really do 1 a day.

But here's the important point: When I checked them I would not tell him which one he got wrong. If he did not make 100, he just repeated the exercise the next day, being a little bit more careful.

Whoever helps doesn't really need to know math. They just need to grade your work.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 AM

4,830 posts, read 6,844,012 times
Check with your local high school. Basic college level Algebra is simple for any decent high school math instructor. Maybe you can find one who will be willing to tutor you (of course for a charge) maybe once a week and during the summer. One on one is the fastest way to learn.

With a little summer tutoring you should blow through college Algebra.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,207,297 times
Quote:
I need to learn math, and I don't really know where to start to be honest. I have never mastered my multiplication table

Thank you.
Start with that....you'll use that skill almost daily...when I was a child it was something we all had to learn, it amazes me that children aren't taught this simple skill anymore.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:58 PM

6,805 posts, read 10,445,113 times
You might want to consider taking a diagnostic assessment at a Sylvan Learning Center - or something similar. They will figure out exactly where your gaps are and tailor a program for you.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:53 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,867,413 times
Khanacademy is good. aaamath.com is good too.

Any homeschool math lesson website online would help. Youtube has math lessons if you learn better visually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education