U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM

18,174 posts, read 11,968,364 times

Advertisements

If she wants to frame and hang up her GED, go get the nicest frame you can find and let her do it!
Taking pride in a hard-earned achievement is always important. Your daughter does not need to be ashamed or apologetic in any way. GEDs are undertaken for many reasons including major childhood disease onset, frequent moving by their parents from place to place, and many other occurrences and problems that kids have no control over.

And even kids who drop out because they have learning problems or are just bored with school show they've overcome and/or grown up, and realized how important an education is to them. If an employer cannot see that, it's their problem, not the kid's. Determination counts in today's workplace at all levels. If your daughter was intelligent enough to earn a GED, she's certainly smart enough to get a job. Your job is to give her the self-confidence she needs. Don't let her become intimidated or apologetic. She doesn't need either in her working life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 PM

16,861 posts, read 20,625,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you everyone for some great advice. I brought my daughter over to my computer and she read the posts personally herself.

I also would like to know more about another issue. She wanted to hang her GED diploma on her wall but was told that if she wants to go to college she must keep it in the envelope it came in and only the college is allowed to be the first one to open it. That is strange to me does anyone know why ?

Any ideas for helping me to afford college for her? I remember years ago someone who believed that college should be free was trying to start an online college for everyone, and didnt President Obama say he thought college should be free? Do you believe that college education should be free?

Where to Go to College for Free

University of the People

11 Tuition-Free Colleges - US News

Obama: Community college should be 'as free and universal in America as high school'
I do not hang my HS diploma on the wall, nor do I frame it. In fact, I don't know where it is. I am guessing it's at my father's house in the attic. She will get over the high school diploma thing once it is replaced with an associate degree. However, if it will make her feel happy, but a nice frame.

Do I believe that community college should be free? Yes, I do. In fact, I live in Ohio. All graduates of High Schools in my county, and the next one over, can obtain a tuition free associate degree at Eastern Gateway Community College. My daughter is graduating HS this year, and she has a couple of friends who will do two years at Eastern Gateway Community College and then transfer through an articulation agreement to an Ohio State school or a private college. This is NOT true of all of Ohio, however.

As for now, however, there are inexpensive community colleges. Depending upon your finances, she may need to take out a loan. She may be eligible for federal and state grants, as well.

Community colleges generally have Disability Support Services. They may offer testing to help her find a curriculum or career that suits her.

I have heard of Alice Lloyd College and Berea College. These are for people who live in the Appalachian region - Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Ohio. I think Berea is open to non Appalachians.

I'd still suggest that she attend a community college first. At least Berea is somewhat competitive.

The armed forces academies, the Webb Institute and some others that you mentioned, are most competitive.

Best of luck - and fill out the FASFA.

Last edited by sheena12; 04-07-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 10:20 PM

174 posts, read 456,113 times
Quote:
My daughter chose to get her GED because she was learning disabled and after graduating from a great middle school and entering high school was disappointed with the attitude and lack of help and understanding she received from the schools she entered, especially after moving to another area .

I support her decision. She worked very hard to study for her GED it took her a long time but she did it. She is worried that telling people will make them judge her and look down on her. While she was studying for her test some of her online friends treated it with disdain and contempt and made it clear it was not the same as a high school diploma. She now wants to start a job or go to school and is worried how the GED will affect people's view of her on a resume. I tell her it does not matter.

What can I say to help her feel better about having a GED instead of a high school diploma?
I see nothing disgusting about having a GED. I was out of school for about 25 years and did terrible in school. I passed the GED with all marks higher than 85 percentile. The reason: When I went to school I didn't give a hoot but I WANTED that GED real bad so I studied hard. I also coached other students after I got mine.

That GED opened many doors for me. In fact most of the places I worked in the next 30 years were places that required a High School or GED diploma.

Of course a GED is far easier to get than High School but it does show that a person had the intestinal fortitude to go get a GED instead of just sitting around moaning about not being able to find a job simply because so many jobs require that you show that you actually have a brain of some sort.

Incidentally my GED is framed and posted on my living room wall where anyone can see because I am pretty doggone proud of it. I have never heard a single disparaging remark from people I applied for a job with or anyone who has seen that diploma.

In fact when I applied for a job in one school (high school or GED diploma required) the principal who was one of the ones interviewing me told me he was very impressed that I got my GED after 25 years out of school - I got the job by the way. Don't let anyone tell you a GED is a waste of time even though it shows you are a drop out and didn't have what it took to finish HS.

Many are quitting school and then taking the easy route and getting a GED. I don't think that is right, either. They should be required to be out of school for 10 years or something before they can go and get a GED because the GED is far from EQUIVALENT to High School. It's just a reasonable facsimile. I have noticed that more of the want ads are stipulating that GED is not acceptable.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:20 PM

2,643 posts, read 1,774,643 times
Keep working at the next level of education. I work with a nurse who received a GED. She's no dummy. It just so happened her parents divorced right before her senior year and she had to move. She had an awful time dealing with the divorce fallout and having to leave friends. Top it off with entering a new school your senior year when you don't know anyone and your fellow seniors are ready to move on...well, she wasn't happy at all. So she got her GED, worked, took classes, and became a nurse eventually. She's now an APRN.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,767,567 times
One reason the GED was developed was to allow students to begin college studies earlier than usual. Students can complete the requirements for a GED without having to sit in desks for four years. I would tell anyone who merits an answer that she didn't want to wait around to be able to start college so she got her GED. There is even an honors GED for recipients who score above a certain level.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:35 PM

553 posts, read 300,008 times
Quote:
My daughter chose to get her GED because she was learning disabled and after graduating from a great middle school and entering high school was disappointed with the attitude and lack of help and understanding she received from the schools she entered, especially after moving to another area .

I support her decision. She worked very hard to study for her GED it took her a long time but she did it. She is worried that telling people will make them judge her and look down on her. While she was studying for her test some of her online friends treated it with disdain and contempt and made it clear it was not the same as a high school diploma. She now wants to start a job or go to school and is worried how the GED will affect people's view of her on a resume. I tell her it does not matter.

What can I say to help her feel better about having a GED instead of a high school diploma?
GED or a high school diploma does not mean you can get into a collage program. If she wants to be doctor or a nurse she need all of her high school math, science and chemistry. Many people do not take 11th and 12th grade math, science and chemistry in high school.

If she does not have that than she will have to take basic math, science and chemistry in collage before she can get into medical school program or nursing school program.

If she wants to be a Physicist or Engineer a GED or a high school diploma does not cut it at all. She need all of her 11th and 12th grade math, science and chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or